Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I started putting in and cleaning up some trails in the area I worked today. The first few pictures was a Ironwood in the middle of the new trail, it had some rot in it about five feet up.

We also had a few damaged Ironwood that I felled and brought home, there also was one small Maple that was bent over so I took that.

Most of my time was spent clearing downed dead branches from some trails.

The first three pictures will be a section of a new trail and the first Ironwood, 1675 is some of the junk wood taken off the trail, 1678 is the small Maple that is bending over, 1679 is the two topped off Ironwoods, 1681 & 82 is the two Ironwood and 1683 is a Cherry that will need to be pulled up the hill in sections.

Attachments

• Work Done in 2021
    104_1671.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1672.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1673.JPG
    340.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1675.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1678.JPG
    771.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1679.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1681.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1682.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1683.JPG
    348.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1684.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 107
Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021I ran a few tanks through the 660 this weekend and ended up cutting the last pile of ash logs I had. Copper kept me company chasing his duck through the woods but by the end of the day he was limping so after his bath I noticed this happened to his right front paw. I found it checking him for ticks. He was a little beat up yesterday so we had an easy day of just hanging out brushing him and his brother and cleaning them up from a day in the woods. Overall a good Saturday I cut a few cords of wood and was able to get the saw out and enjoy some nice weather. I'm hoping to get some more time to start going after the locust piles I have since my brother seems to be getting more wood from customers of his who are having trees taken down.

Got a load in after work. Swimming in a sea of Elm, this load of Oak was a beautiful sight. The X27 made short work of quartering the big rounds.

Work Done in 2021

Work Done in 2021

Not super firewood related, but I have been clearing out some invasive species, have about 15 apple trees that are about 50 years old and have not seen a pruning since then by the looks of it. I’m trying to get them back to producing apples. I also had a couple of clear areas around my place that I tilled, planted clover as a cover, and planted a mix of white cedar, red oak, swamp white oak, shag bark and shell bark hickory and serviceberry. I still have 10 more hickory and 25 chestnut that I’m waiting on to arrive. Perhaps future generations will enjoy the nicer firewood than my current stack of mostly pine and aspen. Unless the robots take over, then I guess it was all for not.

Attachments

• Work Done in 2021
    D373EE69-F247-4094-BA1E-59579F6713AE.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Work Done in 2021
    0A016802-102F-480F-9FDA-5DC3EAEF7E4C.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Work Done in 2021
    2B9FC1E7-5E3B-4370-BE5E-532018C04C43.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Work Done in 2021
    06E089DF-A361-4409-90FD-A8F544FF18FB.jpeg
    490 KB · Views: 110
In 2018 when I was clearing the pine and cleaning the area up where the garage was going, a bunch of the stuff was dumped here. Today I raked out the bigger pieces and tossed them over near some trees and raked the area out again. I put seven loads of leaves, pine needles and some two year old ash from the outside fireplace in this area, it will be a new trail that will go to the entrance to what we call the sandpit.

I can also get the tractor back in here with the forks to get some of the bigger pine out of the way.

Attachments

• Work Done in 2021
    104_1685.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1688.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 96
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1689.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1694.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1695.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 91
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1696.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1697.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 89
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1698.JPG
    393.8 KB · Views: 76
Brought home a bunch of pallets from work yesterday, today I will start moving my unburnt wood in the shed over to a smaller bay, clean behind the large bay then hopefully start re-filling it, once the shed has been filled, I'll start working on stacking the wood I split this spring, I dont mind all the back and fourth, fresh air and just generally being outside is better then nothing.

Redid the front brakes on the car this morning then decided to organize the shed while my wife worked on the basement. Got a decent amount done thankfully...this is school vacation week starting tomorrow aka you're going to get nothing done and probably do insane week lol.

Subaru quoted me $850 for front brakes. LOL. Took an hour and cost $150. Thankfully my dad is an avid car guy and has all the tools. I have all the wood, wood working, and yard stuff covered :cool:.

20210418_164839.jpg

Nice shed, I need to get going on something like that this year. Anyone ever done a micro solar setup for a shed? Thinking about doing it just for lights and to power a chainsaw grinder.

Nice shed, I need to get going on something like that this year. Anyone ever done a micro solar setup for a shed? Thinking about doing it just for lights and to power a chainsaw grinder.
I’ve considered an extension cord for mine. I have a 220v well pump just 10 ft away. It’s only been up 14 months now. Still needs painted. I also keep my generator in the shed and have to move it out every time I really want to work inside. What I should do is pour a cup of gas in it and run it every month so it’s ready when I need it. A single panel, charge controller and a battery or two and a car 1000w inverter would be all you need I guess( I’m no expert and my experience with pv ends at my Amazon wish list. an rv package would do it I think).
Evan

I have electricity in mine. We have power coming directly from house in buried conduit about 100 feet back to the shed so I can use/charge anything I need and 50 feet in the front to our small 12x10 decorative pond so we can run a water feature. It takes a little bit of work but its not very difficult and worth the investment IMO if you're going to be out there working a lot. It's also nice having different access points across the property for extension cords etc.

For example, I use the shed to start my snowblower and drive it out then I use the front pond outlet if it stalls up by the road. It's an old 80s Toro that takes a 300 lb offensive lineman to pull start lol.

Buy yeah, highly recommend getting power to your shed! You can DIY!

Every shed needs power and I love "outlets"--lol...Hey Caw how is the lumber jack and heavy equipment hauler doing and are you three still eating outside or is it too cold right now? Its arctic wind here now and very very cold..I had to cancel my electrician because my walls to my porch are not up yet and snow this afternoon and snow and rain all this week---I need warm weather...clancey

Im very tired and since it's spring break for my 6 and 3 year old that's not improving anytime soon. Lol. Nice weather here, going to be 72 tomorrow. Maybe a fire Thursday night we'll see.

I'm basically all done processing for the season until the next batch of free wood shows up. I have some standing dead oak on the horizon so I'm trying to enjoy the downtime while it exists. I've been battling wrist tendinitis for a couple months so it's a welcome rest. Usually by spring I think most of us are pretty tired of firewood! I just want to look at my stacks each day and smile at them. :)

Took the kids and Gordon on a hike today. Hoping to tire them out for an easier afternoon!

Work Done in 2021

Work Done in 2021

That's a beautiful picture thanks and just look at that "worthless" dog --kidding here--watching them--how cute...Time for you to have a rest now after all that work...Bless you all....clancey

I need some help. I managed to get my tractor stuck in the mud, up to the hubs/frame... in the woods... My 10k lb ratchet strap slipped while trying to use my hi-lift jack to pull the tractor out. Would a 10k come along slip as well? I have a recovery strap made for an armored Humvee, so it works well and didn't give or stretch. I'm going to order another equivalent strap, but using two static straps is not fun for recovery using a hi-lift.

I need some help. I managed to get my tractor stuck in the mud, up to the hubs/frame... in the woods... My 10k lb ratchet strap slipped while trying to use my hi-lift jack to pull the tractor out. Would a 10k come along slip as well? I have a recovery strap made for an armored Humvee, so it works well and didn't give or stretch. I'm going to order another equivalent strap, but using two static straps is not fun for recovery using a hi-lift.
if the fel on it? try lifting up the front tires and put debris under it, then lock the rear dif while going forward and back, it might just enough to get you out.

Reactions: heavy hammer
if the fel on it? try lifting up the front tires and put debris under it, then lock the rear dif while going forward and back, it might just enough to get you out.
That's what I did. Cut up some small trees and stuffed them under the front wheels and locked the diff, just kept digging.

First off this sucks, I have been stuck multiple times over the years in multiple types of vehicles/equipment.

I doubt a come along will slip but the cable may be suspect to breaking. I am guessing that you tried to move yourself backwards while rolling the bucket for leverage ? I know you have talked about it but how big is your tractor & what’s it weigh.
You sound destined to call in a neighbor to me.

Are there big trees you can anchor to ? Pics would help for terrain & anchor points.
How close is the nearest solid ground

First off this sucks, I have been stuck multiple times over the years in multiple types of vehicles/equipment.

I doubt a come along will slip but the cable may be suspect to breaking. I am guessing that you tried to move yourself backwards while rolling the bucket for leverage ? I know you have talked about it but how big is your tractor & what’s it weigh.
You sound destined to call in a neighbor to me.

Are there big trees you can anchor to ? Pics would help for terrain & anchor points.
How close is the nearest solid ground
I called in my boss from my snow removal gig. He has two 200' heavy duty cables and I have a snatch block and my diesel dually. Right now the tractor weighs a lot more than it normally does, probably pushing 6,000 lbs with the stump grinder and grapple. What really got me into trouble was trying do drive off with a granite boulder that probably pushed the weight closer to 8,000 lbs. There are many trees nearby. I'm hopeful with the truck pulling through the snatch block and someone driving the tractor we can pull it free. I'm about to order another heavy duty recovery strap and come along. Eventually I'll drop a nice heavy duty winch on the truck.

This is definitely not my first time getting stuck. I've self recovered a previously owned Jeep a few times with a couple of straps and hi-lift. Past vehicles have also had winches. I even got the tractor stuck a few times, but was able to get it unstuck with the loader or hi lift. At a previous job I dropped a drive wheel on a fork truck off the concrete pad and got it stuck, had to use the F250 on that one. Last winter my plow truck got stuck in a rut before even leaving the lot! We used an articulated wheel loader to pull it out.