Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm one of those "folks" wood stays uncovered until the fall rains / snows move in, this is why I do the funky center rib of splits right down the middle of the pile, puts pitch on the tarp when its time to cover.
Total derail: Wasn’t ‘Folks’ a movie with Tom Selleck in it ? The useless info stored in my noggin never ceases to amaze me. Lol.

Last edited:
This past weekend I took down my biggest tree yet, a white pine with an 8ft+ circumference. I stopped counting the rings at 100, but it wasn't too much older than that. Before taking this one down I had to take down a good sized red pine behind it as well. It was a windy day blwoing in the wrong direction, so I climbed up and chained each tree in order to use my 6-ton come along to ensure the trees fell exactly where I wanted. I took some pics along the way.
ladder.jpg

Chain ready to go
red pine.jpg

Enjoy a view of the frozen lake while up in the air
view.jpg

Both trees are down. You can see the red pine stump and bucked up sections in the background.
white pine 2.jpg

As you can see, this particular tree was towering over the west side of my cabin with a growing lean, so I had to direct it the opposite way.
white pine 1.jpg

This will make a lot of good wood for sauna in another year or two, a replacement set of benches for the fire pit, and more.

I finally got one side of my driveway back! Here's the last piece of cherry in the pile:

Work Done in 2021

Now it's on to the other side which is full of red maple:

Work Done in 2021

This one was a son of a to split. Needed the maul and sledge for every piece:

Work Done in 2021

Looks like rain for the next couple days so it's time to recuperate a little bit. Looks like the next fire will likely be Saturday when we dip back to 45/30 weather.

Hopefully I can finish splitting approx 1.5 cords worth of rounds today & tomorrow, bucked everything on Tuesday and lost yesterday to the rain.
I might also lose Friday and more to work, Ohio suppose to get high winds, could mean a work trip to go hang out with ole @heavy hammer which is fine to.

I'm losing today, tomorrow, and Sunday to the rain which stinks. Going to be nice Saturday but likey too muddy. That's March in New England though!

Reactions: thewoodlands
We are well into mud season. I've been putting outdoor work on hold. My truck is finally in the shop today, they were booked out for like a month. All of my gas and diesel cans are empty so it's time to make a fuel run tomorrow after the truck comes home. The mill uses a lot of fuel so I've been waiting to get it going for this year. I've got a nice 2+ cord pile of rounds to get splitting and my firewood log pile has grown. I'm also thinking about edging my pile of slabs to turn into fence boards, previously it was destined to be firewood.

Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021

Well I've been splitting for a few hours before work the past couple days. Slowly but surely I am putting a dent in the pile of rounds.

Got the call for shoulder surgery, so it's on for May 11. Should give me enough time to get all the wood up how I want it, and that is a tremendous relief to know I'll be all set to be out of commission for awhile.

The truck ended up having some weird aftermarket flywheel, so it will be a few days until a new flywheel can get here from civilization. I was hoping to get milling this weekend!

Managed to get 7 of my 8 stacks done (these are 2 deep) for the drying season. Stacks are full and tarps are secure. Sadly still using tarps...with the cost of lumber im delaying my lean-to roofing project. Not spending $10 for a 2x4 I'll suck it up for another year. Fire pit stack of super uglies on the left is getting full too. Feels good! Now I just have to split and stack about 1.5 cords of maple on my overflow pallets section and I'm done...until the next scrounge! Beer # no comment !!!!

20210325_180902.jpg
90197.jpeg

Last edited:
Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021I got it all moved this past Sunday. About 14 tractor loads and 4 hours. My little buddy kept me company all day retrieving his newer bumper. Kennyp2339 we may run into each other the winds are supposed to pick up they already have us coming in for storm tomorrow. I wish these temps could stick around everything is dry right now. Time to start cutting and splitting.

Work Done in 2021Work Done in 2021
All rounds have been bucked and about 1/2 split, still have a bit more and hopefully there’s no OT today and I can get the rest done and rake up the crumbs left over because the grass is coming in.

Ended up working 16hr shifts Friday and Saturday, this morning I have a small window to get outside and bring in splits to fill the garage rack for the week, then the rain will move in, go figure the last leg of my firewood spree is the part thats taking forever between work and the weather, I just need 6 hrs of uninterrupted work and its all done and cleaned up.
So not wasting time after the rain starts I'm going to park my butt in the garage, get the radio going and sharpen / reshape about 8 chains with my new dremal tool. I have some coffee cans that I'll put the chains in, also will paint some bar oil on the chains before storing them to keep everything lubed / reduce moisture while in storage.

Made good progress on my maple yesterday. Only had about 4 hrs but managed to finish off the stacks out back. Got a full 8 cords here plus fire pit super uglies. We have about 2/3 a cord left to split and then our driveway is back! The overflow wood will go on pallets on the side of the house. My 5 yo loves to split and the 3 yo called herself "Tractor Girl" now lol.

Work Done in 2021
Work Done in 2021
Work Done in 2021

Celebrated with some fajitas!

Work Done in 2021

I've been working on two large Chestnut Oaks that were storm casualties last year. This is the last load for the season and part of my 2023 stock. Amazed how much water is in the big rounds, now year and 1/2 since blown over. Water splashes from the rounds splitting with the x27.

Attachments

• Work Done in 2021
    20210327_111931 (1).jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 115
I imagine with that picture of the food cooking that one of those pieces are for the heavy equipment driver and the other one for the lumber jack and of course the larger one for you Caw...Pictures nice...You wood cutters with your full pick up trucks are making me tired and thank God I do not have to cut wood at my age...Praise the Lord....Interesting thread here..thanks clancey

I had two jobs that needed to checked off the list, the first was bucking up the Ash mother nature took down and move the rounds out of the trail in the gully so the wife could get through and the Rhino.

I had seen the forecast for rain coming in today, I didn't get wet bucking up the Ash but when I moved the rounds out of the trail, mother nature gave me a shower in the woods .

Picture 1576 is the downed Ash, 1577 is the Cherry and Yellow Birch blocking the trail that I moved, 1578 is the entrance to the gully I used this morning, 1580 is the bucked up Ash tree and the last picture is where I opened up the trail.

Attachments

• Work Done in 2021
    104_1576.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1577.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1578.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1579.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1580.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1581.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 108
How many cords do you figure is in your big pile of splits there Kenny?
Not sure, I'm hoping its over ten full cords though, I have a little more to split then the plan is to refill my shed with splits I did last year and redo that spot with new pallets and make longer rows, I would like to have everything stacked out by mid-april before things get any busier than what they already are.

Kennyp2339 that wind take down some lines out your way? We worked 16's all weekend just couldn't seem to keep up with the wind.

Reactions: Zombie and JimBear
Kennyp2339 that wind take down some lines out your way? We worked 16's all weekend just couldn't seem to keep up with the wind.
Yes, worked a 16 Friday & Saturday, needed off yesterday and still working today (waiting for dinner lol) weird one, it started like normal but just kept coming in as the day went on, tapered off for like an hour or two then picked back up at sunset before subsiding. Todays event was more or less the hangers that finally fell from Friday, chased a lot of down telco lines and service work.
Hoping to have tomorrow as a regular day so I can finish my splitting and get the landing area cleaned up before Wednesday nights rain thats now forecasted to turn to snow at night.

Are you guys linemen? Those are some long days! It's been extremely windy up here too. My recycling was strewn about my property this morning and one of my stack tarp ties sheered itself right off. Freaking hate tarps! Need lumber prices to come down!

I felled three Yellow Birch today that were on the backhill.

Attachments

• Work Done in 2021
    104_1592.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1595.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1596.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Work Done in 2021
    104_1598.JPG