Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yesterday it was 78 with high humidity
today bearly got to 50. Frost tonight low 28.
high tomorrow 39. A/C yesterday stove tomorrow
Pellet stove on tomorrow morning. Don't need to burn wood yet

John,
Where about are you? In Ottawa it never went over 14*C. In Toronto was something like 27!!
Stove going at the moment. Second fire of the season. Summer is over boys and gals!!

Can’t wait for some of that weather down here!
How far south in OH are you? Down where I am, almost in KY, it was 90 today but I wasn't sweating all that much picking up wood. It's back down to 80 now but the humidity has only climbed back up to around 50%. I'll take that. :)
We were sick of the hot and humid weather, we're at 48 and dropping.
That sounds a bit nippy to me. ;)

How far south in OH are you? Down where I am, almost in KY, it was 90 today but I wasn't sweating all that much picking up wood. It's back down to 80 now but the humidity has only climbed back up to around 50%. I'll take that. :)
That sounds a bit nippy to me. ;)
The overnight fire is in, some big splits of basswood with some cherry splits on top. That should keep it in the low 70's in the basement and 69 to 70 up here.

4-5 days like this and then we get warm again. Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow, I'll have the last stacking area cleaned up and ready for stacking by Tuesday.
1570070187207.png

Here's a pic of the pile my nephew and his work buddy hauled back, minus what's in the rack in post #713. Sweetgum and Red Oak. He done good. >>
The bark-less stuff to the right of the splitter is the butt of a Sycamore log I got from a buddy. Some of it's a bit marginal, but it'll work for chill-buster fires at the beginning of this season. It's about 18% moisture.
neph scrounge.jpg
It was hot today but not very humid so I picked up the rest of a ~45' Ash, about 14" DBH, that I bucked about five days ago. It was hung up for a while and I didn't want to mess with it, but it finally fell. Easy pickins, right on the edge of the drive. I ran it down to my SIL's, and also cleared her outside rack of the first load I put there the other day..I'll put soft Maple there instead. Don'tcha just love moving wood an extra time? :rolleyes:
A couple of days after I bucked that tree, I realized I'd made a mistake. For years, all the poison ivy I had ever gotten was a couple of dots here and there, even though I work in short sleeves if it's warm out. This time, wanting to finish bucking the tree before dark, I got impatient and careless removing the three vines of ivy that were wound around the trunk of the fallen tree, with shoots that extended three feet or so up off the trunk. I waded through those, slappin' and whackin' my way from the root ball to the top of the tree, and not being as careful as usual.
Now over the years, I'd begun to think that since it had been so long since I had a bad case of ivy, maybe I wasn't as immune to it as I had been in my younger days. Boy, was I wrong! :oops: I also gashed my arm on some bark and I think the PI juice got in there, as it reacted more than the surrounding skin. Note to self..In the future, try to be a little less of an idjit! ;hm
PIAsh.jpg LanePIAsh.jpg PI Ash.jpg Ivy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: thewoodlands
It's 35f here right now. I hope my herbs are ok!

John,
Where about are you? In Ottawa it never went over 14*C. In Toronto was something like 27!!
Stove going at the moment. Second fire of the season. Summer is over boys and gals!!

Not far from Ottawa. North of Perth just outside of the Villiage Of Lanark

Not far from Ottawa. North of Perth just outside of the Villiage Of Lanark
Strange 50 miles further east and how different the themes were.

I know exactly where Lamarck is (beautiful area). My vet was from Lanark.

Have you been in the area that has been getting hit with the storms?

About two hours ago I made a fire with basswood and some smaller rounds of cherry, we heat from the basement but you can feel the difference up here already.

Yea, probably something like 5 inches of rain in the past 48 hours. I am fortunate to be on a hill, and most of my area doesn't flood. Nearby though in the Milwaukee area, there have been some folks getting their cars stuck.

I ended up burning last night even though it was low of 51F. Super toasty house that's for sure. :)

We had 80 today but cooler temps are not to far away. I just hope it is not a wet nasty fall. It's to hard to get anything done.

We had 38 this morning so we had a fire with some basswood this morning, we hit 51 today but had another basswood fire around 2.

The house feels real warm so we'll wait and do another fire before I hit the sleeper, we should be in the low 30's tonight.

Reactions: heavy hammer
We had 80 today but cooler temps are not to far away. I just hope it is not a wet nasty fall. It's to hard to get anything done.
Since our area had a very dry summer, this rain we've been getting is nice.

probably something like 5 inches of rain in the past 48 hours.
My buddy in Cross Plains said they only got 2" at his place, but pretty close to him they got 5". _g
The front came through here about dusk..no rain. We haven't had any for a month.

Last edited:
We have been having some above average temps but by Friday here we are lucky to be back in the 60's.. I know it is coming but I'll take 80's for Oct.

Finally! This Ohio weather has been way too hot my liking. Woke up to 42 this morning. 72 today. Thursday was 95....

35df here this morning. My dogs don't appreciate the partially insulated first floor! It was 66df in the main area when I came down at 0530. Upstairs was still 70df since we haven't started doing nay insulation. Apparently I've never lived in a well insulated house because I thought the (unknown at the time) mouse tunneled and damp R19 was awesome last winter. This coming winter with r23 rock wool and homasote inside sheathing should be amazing.

Began moving wood from the racks to the garage last evening.

Also brought some inside and put it in the new interior rack I built over the summer. Made from recycled pallets, galvanized pipe and 4 heavy duty casters. I’m able to wheel it to the garage racks, fill it up and wheel it right back to the insert. Photo below.

Haven’t measured it exactly to see how much it holds, but it will hold two 96 gallons trash cans full of splits. 6 days worth for us. Shoulder wood in there now. Soft maple and some catalpa.

Attachments

• 8EC3B5AA-2B16-476B-9E10-9A0FF33219D2.jpeg
    8EC3B5AA-2B16-476B-9E10-9A0FF33219D2.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 289
Another thing better about this season is 8 cord of seasoned wood on hand! Last winter was not fun. Even a piece from my uncovered stack I brought in this morning ignited as soon as I put it on the coals.

new interior rack I built over the summer...Haven’t measured it exactly to see how much it holds, but it will hold two 96 gallons trash cans full of splits
Nice and handy! Has that got rubber wheels on it? Two rows of splits deep? If they are 16" splits, height time width will give the square footage of the face, and a cord is 4'X24'..
I've got a "wood hoop" next to the stove but pack the wood in from the porch (DID bring in a wheelbarrow load a couple times. ) My two SILs will only bring in enough wood to load the stove, one leaving maybe a few splits in the plastic tote she uses, the other in a wooden box with no top that can hold maybe half a load. I think they are worried about bug damage. The one is also deathly afraid of bugs. Me, I like having several loads racked up and ready to go into the stove. ==c
The third SIL has a male around the house, so there is wood stacked at their stove as well. ;)
1514404793560.jpg

Last edited:
Nice and handy! Has that got rubber wheels on it? Two rows of splits deep? If they are 16" splits, height time width will give the square footage of the face, and a cord is 4'X24'..
I've got a "wood hoop" next to the stove but pack the wood in from the porch (DID bring in a wheelbarrow load a couple times. ) My two SILs will only bring in enough wood to load the stove, one leaving maybe a few splits in the plastic tote she uses, the other in a wooden box with no top that can hold maybe half a load. I think they are worried about bug damage. The one is also deathly afraid of bugs. Me, I like having several loads racked up and ready to go into the stove. ==c
The third SIL has a male around the house, so there is wood stacked at their stove as well. ;)
View attachment 248651

How is the hoop in real life? If I were to buy a rack, this is the only style that is visually appealing to me.

View attachment 248651

Yes, rubber wheels so there won’t be any damage to the hardwood and tile floors. I could get it double stacked front to back with about 4 inches of overhang on each side (16” splits), but ideally, i will single stack with a lip to catch the debris.

I wouldn’t be able to keep my sanity running in and out for every load. My old rack held a day/day and a 1/2 worth and that drove me nuts. So I built this new rack to hold 6 days worth. Could have gone bigger, but this size passed the “wife test”.

We had 28 this morning with the temps in the low 50's today.

We're still burning basswood and pine for heat.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Yes, rubber wheels so there won’t be any damage to the hardwood and tile floors. I could get it double stacked front to back with about 4 inches of overhang on each side (16” splits), but ideally, i will single stack with a lip to catch the debris.

I wouldn’t be able to keep my sanity running in and out for every load. My old rack held a day/day and a 1/2 worth and that drove me nuts. So I built this new rack to hold 6 days worth. Could have gone bigger, but this size passed the “wife test”.

Did you use beadboard for your walls? They look nice and not drywall, which we are trying to avoid for our renovation.

Did you use beadboard for your walls? They look nice and not drywall, which we are trying to avoid for our renovation.

The home was built in 1979 and the wall covering is a wood paneling that we decided to paint over. The paneling itself is a high grade material that looked nice (if you like that kind of thing). 1/2 inch thick and a dark lacquered finish. However, the wife is a Pinterest nut so I got to brush in each groove and roll the rest :)

Turned out nicely when we were done. Lots of white trim in the room (in addition to baseboard and casing).

Well, I’ve been bringing home loads of wood to my house and to my aunts house. The place where I work cut out a new easement on company property. The tree crews cut down and bucked all the trees that hit the ground. Some oak, some cherry, and some soft wood I’m not to sure about. Its a lot of wood though. I’ll get some pics soon. Also insulated my boiler lines inside the house. Now just have to get the heat exchangers installed and be ready for the cold weather.