Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Theonion

Dec 9, 2017
Michigan
I got a load of free logs from a tree guy. He said it was cherry.
It's 2 kinds of wood.
The first looks like cherry but it's very hard to split, lots of strands cling together making it impossible to get a clean split.
The other wood is almost white, almost no grain, splits very easily, it's quite heavy, maybe heavier than the cherry. At first from the bark I thought it was soft maple which is prevalent in my neighborhood, but it's not that.
Thanks

Wood ID please

Wood ID please

I'm surprised, I haven't seen a living ash tree in years. The ash borer pretty much killed all of them in michigan, or so I thought

I second cherry and ash

I agree with the others, Cherry and Ash.

My experience is that when you get a mid-to-large Cherry that has grown straight (like in a timber stand) they tend to split easier. When you get ones with lots of lower limbs and knots, like grown at the edge of the woods, those tend to be very gnarly and hard to split in my experience. Perhaps this one was limb-heavy.

That bottom photo looks an awful lot like sugar maple to me especially with the dark center heartwood. That looks much more like sugar maple than ash. Ash won’t have that dark heartwood AFAIK. I split a lot of white ash the past couple of months and it was white just about throughout. The sugar maple can almost look slightly white but has the dark heartwood/center. That bark looks a bit different than ash too JMO

Cherry should have a very distinct smell when split.

I recently split this and it is sugar maple. Looks just like that wood in your photo JMO

IMG_0566.png

IMG_0565.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Duds13
For comparison this the ash I split a couple months back

I’m actually picking some up tomorrow and I’ll take some pictures so you can see the difference

IMG_0567.png

That bottom photo looks an awful lot like sugar maple to me especially with the dark center heartwood. That looks much more like sugar maple than ash. Ash won’t have that dark heartwood AFAIK. I split a lot of white ash the past couple of months and it was white just about throughout. The sugar maple can almost look slightly white but has the dark heartwood/center. That bark looks a bit different than ash too JMO

Cherry should have a very distinct smell when split.

I recently split this and it is sugar maple. Looks just like that wood in your photo JMO

View attachment 327199

View attachment 327200
Good call, could definitely be sugar maple

Reactions: NickW