Another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
For a friend.
Wood was white,.stays white. Bark quite ridged. Very twisty grain (no sweetgum as no spiky seed pods found anywhere).

Split horribly. Looks up close a bit like maple (satin sheen). I think it is drying fast, given how it felt being in his shed for only two months.

Bark looks corky where cut, and has a different underlayer. No sapwood to be seen.... Very uniform.

Leaves may be like the one there, but that could also have come from the hickory tree nearby?

Any idea?

IMG_20240317_131307806_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240317_131232766_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240317_130752714_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240317_130739495_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240317_130759342_HDR.jpg

The "twisty grain" throws me, but otherwise, it looks like cottonwood, to me.

Reactions: stoveliker
The twisty grain might just be the way it grew. Can happen to any tree, but I don't know if it could be an indication for some species.

I thought that cottonwood would have some greenish or yellowish darker heartwood, or is it completely uniform in color?

Cottonwood

The leave on the split has zero undulations at its edge. Not sure it's from this tree tho....

It's not any white oak I have seen; it seems to dry quick, and splits horrible - the opposite of white oak here (that I have seen).

Reactions: Prometeo
ok but if it were cottonwood, towards the tip, the branches, it should have a much less marked and lighter bark, here it seems all homogeneous, but I could be wrong

There was no wood I saw from thinner parts. Just the trunk.
2 ft dia or so.

Thanks for the insight though!

Reactions: Prometeo
My first thought was cottonwood and that was before I read any of the comments. Cottonwood is very, very heavy when first cut and then very, very light when it dries out. If it was on my place I might burn it but I wouldn't drive two miles out of my way for free cottonwood. I'd take sycamore any day over cottonwood.

The twisty grain might just be the way it grew. Can happen to any tree, but I don't know if it could be an indication for some species.
It occurred to me that this tree could have grown in someone's yard. All the cottonwood I cut grows in my timber. So it is straight and tall -- and straight-grained.

I thought that cottonwood would have some greenish or yellowish darker heartwood, or is it completely uniform in color?
My experience, for what it is worth, is that the wood is very white, throughout.

It occurred to me that this tree could have grown in someone's yard. All the cottonwood I cut grows in my timber. So it is straight and tall -- and straight-grained.
Indeed it did. Forested yard, but yard nonetheless. Boundary (edge) tree too.
My experience, for what it is worth, is that the wood is very white, throughout.
Your experience is more than mine for cottonwood for sure, so thanks!

I think this nails the case.
Thanks for all the help to all above.