Winter 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The number is from a public meeting sponsored by the County during the 1970s. It was mentioned by bureaucrats, so there may have been weasel words involved. They claimed it was the total for the entire county. This was around the time of the "Would the last person to leave Seattle please turn out the lights" sign and the I-5 "ski jumps" (unfinished on/off ramps that ended in mid-air), when the tax base was collapsing due to the winding-down-Vietam-War recession. Perhaps they overlooked the "in working condition" qualifier, or maybe they were just dissembling, looking to increase their budget.

That was a while back. I know that there is more snow removal equipment (and more people, and more miles of roads) now. But I've still never seen a local road plowed in my area, and the 10% to 15% best-case roads plowed figure is recent.

I'm not objecting to the policy. Snow has been rare enough here that it hasn't been worthwhile to maintain a lot of seldom used equipment. I moved here from places where snow cover measured in feet was routine. I've always been prepared for it. I like the look of the snow-covered forest.

NOAA has already changed their prediction. They now call for trivial snow on Monday, but no longer predict it over the weekend or during the middle of next week.

Yes, that's when we arrived in WA state.
NOAA says rain and snow likely starting next Thursday. I hope they are right. Weather Underground says snow definitely and colder. The European Center model places a band of substantial convergence-zone snow over the north Sound next week on Thursday/early Friday. We'll see, a 100 mile difference in the approaching low's position can change everything. King County is awkward to predict in one statement because it goes from sea level to almost 8,000 ft. UW weather dept. is saying there will be some major snowfall in the mountains starting now through Wednesday. Time to wax the skis.

Looks like we're finally going to get snow here tonight into tomorrow. Not much of a winter so far.

The old Scout will finally get some exercise tomorrow.

20240106_203304.jpg

That's a picture from a few years ago when we actually had snow regularly. Here's another one:

IMG_20210202_140637.jpg

It's amazing to look at those pictures with the snow and to think that we're into January and this will be our first measurable snow. I hadn't even started the Scout or pulled it up from behind the garage until today.

Reactions: caseywheels
Rain here on the Jersey coast.

Reactions: Ashful
We got 6” last night. It’s the first time I’ve had to use the snowblower tractor since the end of November.

It’s already above freezing now and the roof is starting to unload.

It's a pretty common anecdotal piece of information when we all say "I remember how much snow there used to be." I am 41 and my experience is that there has been a massive change to the climate where I live. However, I would like some data to back my observation. I hear a lot of "there have always been years we did not have much snow," which is true. I would like to know what the actual numbers say. Many of you are far better internet researchers and may already have a good source. Where could I find something like reliable snowfall measurements for my general area?

Looks like we're finally going to get snow here tonight into tomorrow. Not much of a winter so far.

The old Scout will finally get some exercise tomorrow.

View attachment 322223

That's a picture from a few years ago when we actually had snow regularly. Here's another one:

View attachment 322224

It's amazing to look at those pictures with the snow and to think that we're into January and this will be our first measurable snow. I hadn't even started the Scout or pulled it up from behind the garage until today.
That scout is a blessing! You are lucky to have it.

It's a pretty common anecdotal piece of information when we all say "I remember how much snow there used to be." I am 41 and my experience is that there has been a massive change to the climate where I live. However, I would like some data to back my observation. I hear a lot of "there have always been years we did not have much snow," which is true. I would like to know what the actual numbers say. Many of you are far better internet researchers and may already have a good source. Where could I find something like reliable snowfall measurements for my general area?
If you look at the city 1.5 hours from me, 2k lower elevation and usually 10-12 degrees warmer, the past 10 years have produce slightly less snow than the previous 10, but the previous 10 have produce more snow overall over 20,30,40 years ago slightly. So it all seems to be averaging out. About 45" per year.

Where Im at though, we get more rain than snow now. But we would average out around 120" a year. We would get 1' snow falls at least once a year, sometimes 2-3', and would often get snowfalls of 8" and it was very common for it to snow non stop an entire week or two slowly. Im happy now if we see 6". We just got about 9' over the span of 24 hours, it was wet heavily packed snowman snow. Now rain is moving in, which will melt it all quickly. The only bonus is, Im not chunking up packed down snow/ice with a giant tool for repairing tank tracks. I also judge how things are going based on how often the snowmobile trails are open. It's rare to see snowmobiles now, where's 10 years ago it was common to see them running every weekend through winter.

We have friends living about 70 miles north of us. They are at 1500' and have had snow for 2 days. Down at sea level, rain and 41º.

That scout is a blessing! You are lucky to have it.

Best $50 I ever spent!

That was around 15 years ago and it's been plowing my driveway ever since. It even made the move with me from our old house to our new house about 4 years ago.

Reactions: begreen
Well, it's nearing 60F three out of the next five days, here. Our normal high for January is 36F.

Cold is coming here in a few days. It will work it's way east eventually.

Down here it's 45 dropping to 40 tonight. Wind is steady 35,40 gusts to 50+. It's supposed to top with 80+ gusts tonight. Wind warning through sundown tomorrow. 1-2 inches of rain tonight starting about midnight.

Lights flashing but genny hasn't lit up yet. Gonna be a night.

Down here it's 45 dropping to 40 tonight. Wind is steady 35,40 gusts to 50+. It's supposed to top with 80+ gusts tonight. Wind warning through sundown tomorrow. 1-2 inches of rain tonight starting about midnight.

Lights flashing but genny hasn't lit up yet. Gonna be a night.
Hope things behave themself. 80 mph gusts are really strong and potentially damaging.

Tell me about it lol. We cut a pad on the side a mountain and built a place. Solid place. We went through 80+ 6 weeks back. I watched a live, 12"yellow toothpick about 10 feet off the ground in front of the place. Glad the top flew into the woods.

I'm not concerned about the house but the woods need to stay off it.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate
You can try this website. You can generate grafts that show current, historic highs, lows, and averages. I haven’t played with it much.

We are supposed to get 2.25” of rain with wind gusts up to 60 mph. That won’t be fun.

We are supposed to get 2.25” of rain with wind gusts up to 60 mph. That won’t be fun.
Nope. We are halfway through that down here but higher winds. We took a beating last night, not a good sleeping night. Still not much light out, can see a couple of broken trees but raining too hard to go out and look.

Button down and ride it out. Good luck.

Nope. We are halfway through that down here but higher winds. We took a beating last night, not a good sleeping night. Still not much light out, can see a couple of broken trees but raining too hard to go out and look.

Button down and ride it out. Good luck.

No property damage I hope