Winter 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Probably a rain/snow mix throughout the weekend, but nothing that will stick, here. It's just too warm.

Of course, getting everyone to school Monday morning could be a bit of a "thing", if temps are dropping to 22F after all that precipitation. We have some rather treacherous roads around here, narrow, winding, with no shoulders, and often banked the wrong direction in curves. They only get more fun when glazed with ice.

Saturday
A chance of rain and snow after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday Night
Rain and snow. Low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Sunday
Rain and snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.
It sounds like some of the side roads here, our state route is always pretty good but once you get ice, all bets are off.

About two days ago around 5 p.m., we had ice that they never had any warnings for, the roads were slickery. ::-)

NOAA predicts low-to-mid 40s dF day and night here for the rest of the week, cooling to mid-30s and low-40s for the weekend. And rain, of course.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Probably a rain/snow mix throughout the weekend, but nothing that will stick, here. It's just too warm.

Of course, getting everyone to school Monday morning could be a bit of a "thing", if temps are dropping to 22F after all that precipitation. We have some rather treacherous roads around here, narrow, winding, with no shoulders, and often banked the wrong direction in curves. They only get more fun when glazed with ice.

Saturday
A chance of rain and snow after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday Night
Rain and snow. Low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Sunday
Rain and snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.
I see they're calling for another system coming in around January 10, with the cold air we have, it's just a matter of time before we get a big dump of snow.

Reactions: Ashful
I think this may be the winter that wasn't for us.

I think this may be the winter that wasn't for us.
We'll get nailed here sooner or later, we have the cold air in place and Lake Ontario isn't frozen so you know what that means.

Hah, and I thought the "no snow" years were all my fault! I have a new HDPE scraper edge on my snowplow that I've been dying to try, the last two years:

View attachment 320058
I find myself a bit disappointed that I've made significant investments in vehicles, equipment, and implements to deal effectively with the amount of snow we've typically received in the past.
One of my few vices is buying tools to better perform tasks.
I'm starting to think that I've wasted my money.

I find myself a bit disappointed that I've made significant investments in vehicles, equipment, and implements to deal effectively with the amount of snow we've typically received in the past.
One of my few vices is buying tools to better perform tasks.
I'm starting to think that I've wasted my money.
I felt the same way in the 1990's, and then once again 2013-2015. But the snow always seems to come back big, in-between.

Our worst year ever, by my own memory, was as recent as 2021. None of the massive 3-footers we seem to get once per decade, but just a long slog of another foot every week, for weeks on end.

Our snow seems to be lessening steadily every year here.
I remember one winter about 10 years ago when our 4WD Yukon got stuck in our somewhat long and hilly driveway and not even my 32HP 4WD tractor could get it loose. We walked our driveway for about a month and hauled groceries in by sled.
I finally borrowed a winch and used a nearby tree to get everything moving again.
I later bought a winch in response that may never be used as foreseen. (I admit I did use it later though to replace our well pump that was set 440 ft. deep.)
Strangely, we now look back fondly on hiking our driveway with a sled full of groceries in tow.
Hardship can build great memories.

Well last winter season Alta in Utah got over 900" snow. I had to shovel my roof 3 times (about 3-4 ft of compacted snow each time) over the season, so it wouldn't collapse. I had to fly out mid January just to shovel the roof. Took 3 days to do it. And it's not a big house. Usually only need to do it once maybe twice a season. Quite a few people in my neighborhood (at only 5200ft elevation) had roof collapses, barn collapses, pergola collapses etc. I guess that area horded all the snow for last year. Here in Nj we didn't really get any all year. And nothing but a light dusting so far this winter.

Hardship can build great memories.
Totally off-topic, but I've always noticed the same. The jobs and periods that I look back on most fondly, were all the most grueling at the time I was experiencing them. Weird.

Reactions: weee123
We no longer have 4 season here in southeast Ohio...
We have wet summer through August and September; then dry summer in October because October doesn't get very cold; first mud season starts November through December, with an occasional polar vortex freezing the sh!# out of everything for 3 days, but don't worry, mud season is not over yet. February is hit or miss, maybe a foot of snow, maybe a cold mud season with freezing at night and above freezing during the day. End of February into March, we may get some more winter for a few weeks and right back to mud/ windy season. This runs us right into April and a somewhat normal spring and summer until August again...
I may change as I get older, but I really look forward to winter. The hard freeze and consistent snow always makes me feel good and fights off my cabin fever.

I may change as I get older, but I really look forward to winter.
Same here. There's something deeply satisfying about warming yourself by a wood fire when it's wintery outside, especially if it's a direct product of your manual labor.

NOAA predicts low-to-mid 40s dF day and night here for the rest of the week, cooling to mid-30s and low-40s for the weekend. And rain, of course.
Look at the 10 day forecast. Starting next Thursday things could get interesting here. According to the European models it could be time to pull out the woolies and dust off the snow shovel. We should know more by Sunday.

Look at the 10 day forecast. Starting next Thursday things could get interesting here. According to the European models it could be time to pull out the woolies and dust off the snow shovel. We should know more by Sunday.
10 day forecast? The weather.com service presented on my iPhone has a pretty poor batting average at current conditions, let alone 3 days out. I'm not sure I'd take any 10 day forecast as any better than a guess.

Yesterday morning, weather.com had our outside temperature as 27F, but it was really 21F. Last Friday, they were showing sunny skies, it rained literally all day. Again, not a forecast... current conditions!

I don't trust weather.com either. Their iPhone app is a standing joke here. So far locally Weather Underground often has accuracy than NOAA. They combine in the European models. Agree that 10 day is still a bit far out, though 7 days out is when the predicted temps drop and possible snow starts. We'll know more by Sunday or Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
I'm inclined to agree with @Ashful . The NOAA predictions for tomorrow are wrong fairly often. Today's prediction is for a small amount of snow on Sunday, and then a more major system with more snow during the middle of next week. Weather is a chaotic system. Unless someone comes up with some new math, the predictions might never be very good past a few days.

Weather Underground uses more data (some of it lower quality), but there are significant security/privacy issues with their web site.

All of that said, I like snow in moderation. Hope we get some and that it sticks around for a bit.

At least you guys in the east seem to get some good snow events.....the Midwest has sucked for many years. We just don't get much snow. If we do, they cry wolf over 6" and give it a first, middle and last name. I believe it's been over a decade since I've seen a 12" snow event.

Heck, they are starting to forecast snow in tenth's of an inch! This is something I've heard stations do further south and we got a giggle out of years ago.

We just don't get much snow. If we do, they cry wolf over 6" and give it a first, middle and last name.
That beats the PNW. The entire Greater Seattle area generally shuts down if we get 2" to 3". Snow used to be a once-every-half-dozen-years event. It's been somewhat more common in the past decade. Coming originally from points East, I miss it.

When I first moved here, the King County (a land area larger than Delaware) Transportation Department had a total of three snowplow trucks. I think there are a few more now, but I've never seen any of the local streets in my area plowed. They claim to plow 10% to 15% of the county roads, best case. Maybe that's part of why 4WD Subarus are so popular here.

On the other hand, we tend to name volcanoes, not snow storms.

When I first moved here, the King County (a land area larger than Delaware) Transportation Department had a total of three snowplow trucks.
They have a lot more than that, always have. They're covering almost 600 miles of primary snow routes alone. I think they currently have about 30 covering the unincorporated areas. Our little town has two alone and in 2019 they brought out 2 road graders. Note that urban areas in King County have their own plows. Seattle has 39. True that is many more than the 2008 Nickels fiasco but that was more a case of dysfunction on top of bad management.