What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Burning smaller fires in our Fisher today with more short and ugly maple.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Nothing again at the moment. Furnace can do its thing today if needed. Supposed to get into mid 50's today with about 2" of rain again. Turning out to be a above average temperature winter so far this year. So far burnt less would than last year as well. Supposed to be a turnaround in the weather pattern here in a week or so. I'll be ready though. Kevin

3 NIELS

Burning smaller fires in our Fisher today with more short and ugly maple.
We didn't have an overnight fire last night so I set the furnace at 60, that never kicked on so since we heat from the basement, it took a second fire before you could feel the difference up on the main floor.

We hit 45 back here in the pines today with the temp still at 43 tonight, most if not all the ice should be gone from the driveway before we hit the freezing mark.

Reactions: Todd67
We're 60 today with another heavy rain. Made a little fire for the wife this AM before going into work. That quick burn was enough and not sure I'll bother with burning till the temp drops.

I’ve been mixing cherry and locust for a few weeks now. Great combination. Real cold I change to red oak and locust.

Minus 30*C here this morning. Loaded a mix of jack pine and Manitoba maple, and currently have the stove running wide open to warm things up a bit before my better half gets out of bed. Even in this cold I can pull off an overnight burn - when I got up to reload today, main level was 18*C and basement at 11*C.

Minus 30*C here this morning. Loaded a mix of jack pine and Manitoba maple, and currently have the stove running wide open to warm things up a bit before my better half gets out of bed. Even in this cold I can pull off an overnight burn - when I got up to reload today, main level was 18*C and basement at 11*C.
Eleven degrees is our predicted high today;ex:cool: I wouldn't be getting out of bed in those temperatures.

Winter has not been too bad here, yet. Temps have been up and down from single digits to 40’s. No snow cover. Full load of black cherry tonight.

We had a low of 14 this morning so after a few fires yesterday, last night we burned a bag of pellets which kept the house at 68 in the majority of the rooms.

Tonight we'll have a fire in the Liberty with some sugar and red maple, I think the low for tonight should be around 23.

We're still burning the wood that was planned for December so that's good.

Reactions: woodey and Todd67
Went to be early last night and didn’t get a good overnight fire going. Woke up at 330 am and the house is 60 degrees. Yikes. Checked the stove...ice cold. Got her relit, warming up on maple, ash, and black cherry.

Not real cold out, so a load of poplar cooking like pork bbq...low and slow. Just keeping the chill off.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

So I am a little envious of the stocked wood pantry all you firewood haorders have! Hearing you all talk...it sounds like a cooking show adding different spices to a recipe. Two splits of oak...a side of cherry, a dash of pine, a sprinkling of apple, and top it off with some maple. Heat to lazy rolling secondaries and enjoy!

Even if I had that much wood to select from, I don't think I could ever get that organized to be able to pull all those different kinds together for a burn. I do have about 5 cords of wood at the moment, but here's what I have to choose from:
Ash - seasoned 2 years
Ash - Seasoned 1 year
Ash - split/stacked last month
Ash - stacked in rounds yet to be split
Ash - in neighbors yard waiting for me to have the time and pick it up for processing
Ash - standing dead on back of property line waiting for AEP to come through and take it down for me

Okay...I do have a little bit of pine for variety but other than that, it's 1 ingredient for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert for me!
NOTHIN wrong with ash! Easy to split, dries quick, burns easy and long. Unfortunately, it looks like there will be a lot of it available over the next decade or so as the Asian Long horned Beetle invasion takes it's toll. Twenty years from now we may look back and reminisce about having ash to burn.

If I could only have one species of firewood, it would be ash!

Just like jpl1nh said, it stacks very well, splits easily and cleanly and burns great. I can fit more ash in my stove because of how straight and clean it splits, and that means longer burn times when I need a 12 hour burn.

Half the time, I don't know what species is in my stove. My old Fisher stove can't tell the difference between hardwood and softwood anyway. Wait a minute... I think it just told me I'm still burning those ugly and short maple splits...:confused:

Last edited:
We had 24 degrees this morning, more red & sugar maple in the Liberty.

Agree on ash. It seasons fast for me, and I can leave it uncovered in the stacks for a long time. I’m using two year old ash and three year old oak this morning, since the windchills are back down near zero.

Right now literal ash, charcoal, & soot. Got into the 60's yesterday and middle 50's today. House is still pretty warm even though we had the windows open all day. Not complaining a bit...

We had 32 this morning so I filled it up with more sugar maple, we'll be in the single digits tonight or maybe below zero so we'll get some sugar maple and some http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/hophornbeam in the Liberty for its next fire.

We had 8 this morning so I put a bag of pellets in the pellet stove but this afternoon I start a nice fire in the wood stove with some sugar maple, I think our high was 19 today.

It's 23 degrees tonight so I loaded the Lopi Liberty with some sugar maple,beech and a few splits of soft maple.

It was 8* this morning, high of 25. Getting some snow now and over night, with 3" expected. Still burning short & ugly maple splits.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We had 30 this morning so we loaded up the Liberty with more of the same.