What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
NOAA has us hitting -18 tonight so we'll load the Liberty up with Beech. Tomorrow I'll be burning some of the Red & White Oak from a scrounge I did in 2012.

I just finished burning through some honey locust...I swear it wasn't dry enough even though it was covered and 2+ years old? Red oak burned from the same stack was excellent. I didn't think honey locust took that long to dry.

I just finished burning through some honey locust...I swear it wasn't dry enough even though it was covered and 2+ years old? Red oak burned from the same stack was excellent. I didn't think honey locust took that long to dry.
Some love Locust, others don't. I don't for the reason you are finding. 2-3 year oak burn like a champ. 2-3 year Locust is just barely burnable.

I've had honey locust do that before, but it isn't consistent. One split will be fine while the next sizzles like crazy.

A piece each of poplar, ash, and red oak. Lately been burning a lot of red oak and some locust I had stashed.

Filled this morning with about 70% of a load of oak, on top of a firebox 30% filled with oak coals. Damn thing threw sparks half way across the office this morning, when I went to load. Was almost hit in the face with a particularly large flying ember.

I’ve found I can do well by raking the coals to the sides, and throwing two or three fresh splits in the middle, when I arrive home each evening. This burns down the coals enough by bedtime, while keeping up the heat, that I can do a fresh load before bed. It’s the morning loads that have been tougher, as I’m dealing with cat cloggage, which is screwing up my burntime / burn rate predictions for the overnight load.

This morning we loaded the Liberty up with Red & White Oak.

NOAA has a low of 6 tonight for our area so we have some Oak in the Liberty tonight, we'll have both the pellet & wood stove going through this little cold snap coming in. Both stoves are in the basement so the floors are always warm.

Our county has had about five houses that were lost because of wood stove related fires so we won't over use either of the stoves, we used four different ways to heat the house the last cold stretch, wood,pellets,oil and propane.

It's a "warm" night here (10 F) so I've been feeding the stove Norway Maple and Elm. That crap maple doesn't last long but it burns hotter than hell even with the damper down. Easy to split too. -3 for a HIGH on Saturday with a low of -20 (at least) so i'll be back on the Black Locust/Bitternut Hickory regimen.

There have been a lot of house fires around here too since it got cold, but as far as I know none Wood stove related. Electrical and careless smoking i've heard. You can't really "over use" a wood stove... people have heated 100% with wood their entire lives without a problem. It's how you use them. A few years ago there was a home near me that was completely destroyed by fire on the night before Thanksgiving. The cause was a chimney fire. Apparently the people went 4 years without getting their chimney cleaned...

Burn dry wood hot and clean your chimney. You'll never have a problem.

Reactions: ThunderMedic
. . ..

There have been a lot of house fires around here too since it got cold, but as far as I know none Wood stove related. Electrical and careless smoking i've heard. . . ..

Pretty normal . . . the number of fire incidents begins to rise in September or so and peaks in or around January before slowly decreasing. Top causes of fire are cooking, electrical and heating.

Reactions: LocustPocust
It was 14 this morning so we turned the pellet stove on for about an hour and loaded the Liberty up with Red & White Oak. We plan on putting in another load of the Oaks before the wind chills come in.

NOAA keeps dropping what we might get for snow, I think it went from seven a few days ago to 3 this morning.

We're back above 0, but just barely. I loaded up with oak and a big chunk of mulberry that's now popping and snapping like crazy.

16 with a wind chill of -2 headed down to 8 and -8. The night load in the 30-NC of 28 Liberty Bricks cruising at 500. The challenge will be tomorrow with a forecast high of twenty. And wind chills of Mars.

We have a temp of -9 heading down to -18 with a possible wind chill of -40 so the Lopi Liberty has some Oak and Sugar Maple going.

We also had the Pellet Stove going earlier but turned it off at 8 pm when the basement temp hit the mid 80's.

Ash, pine, and a piece of striped maple running hard in the Quad. It's sub zero outside with a strong wind as we try to warm up the weekend getaway. 50s inside, not quite 700 on the stove top. Probably going to bump up the furnace too!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

It was 0 this morning not including the windchill. I am running pin oak, hickory, and white oak. All thick splits and kicking out some good heat. Not running the stove hard keeping it at about 500. The temp droped down in the house last night during the overnight burn. House is already 70 going to start to dile it back. Its 16 out right now.

Load of black cherry, maple, and locust from the mix pile. Last night was rough, it got down to -2F here in Maryland. The Little Insert That Could is having trouble keeping the house above 70 while it's blowing 25 knots outside.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's been an above average night here at 14 degrees. I have a solid bed of coals from today's red oak, just loaded up some maple and ash. Probably throw a red oak on in a bit. Also have the living room open fire place going on some maple.

During the 3 week cold snap at -40*C i was burning full loads of Jack Pine 12-16% MC on full throttle in my blaze king. Man, was it ever cold! Reloading every 5 hrs or so. Now that we’re up around a balmy minus 10*C i’ve got the stove throttled down and am doing reloads every 12 hrs. All i got is jack pine and more jack pine, so jack pine it is!