What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've burned thru the first week of June, twice in the last dozen years. This is probably not going to be one of those years, but I don't think we're at the end yet, either way boys!

I see that tomorrow I'll reach 35 F around noon, so I'm reloading with oak, locust l, and maple.
Maybe Saturday night the creosote crisping fire with some fir.

It's 16.2 out tonight, the basement temp is starting out at 81, the living area temps are 72 & 74 with the sleeper at 69 the last I checked.

I shut the pellet stove off tonight at 10:30 and then started a fire from some nice coals in the wood stove. The liberty has 6 splits of beech, 1 ironwood split with a round of yellow birch in it.

We got down to 20 overnight so a load went in the stove around 6pm. As of 6am it’s still putting along. Today may hit 40, another load will be going in around 9pm.

I'm headed out shortly to pull the last 1/2 cord of "high ground emergency" wood from my barn, and move it down to the house. All 4-year CSS'd red oak, if I recall. It's almost a shame to be using such good wood in shoulder season, but I'm not restacking it at the wood lot, and I never like leaving wood stacked against the barn when the bugs and mice reactivate in warm weather.

We had a low temp of 1.8 this morning, the basement temp started out at 73, the living area temps were 68 & 69 with the sleeper temp coming in at 69.

We had lots of nice coals from the overnight fire so a nice load of pine went in the wood stove this morning, that brought the basement temp up to 79, that's when I headed upstairs.

Reactions: NickW
We have an outside temp of 20.5 tonight, the basement temp is starting out at 75, the living area temps are 69 & 71 with the sleeper temp at 68.

The wood stove is loaded up with beech and ironwood.

5 ash, 1 hickory & 1 ironwood tonight.

Only coals so far, we're running the propane fireplace this morning until I get my arse down the stairs to make a fire. The outside temp this morning is 20.8, the basement is starting out at 72, the living area temps are both 68 with the sleeper at 68.

Around 7:45 a.m., I finally started a fire in the wood stove. We have yellow birch, ash and some ironwood going.

Last edited:
we're headed into a week of lows in the 30s
wind and rain daily and few solar gains

so, just started a top down with mostly ash
Just put on a couple pieces of ash

gonna keep it going overnight tonight, at least

It was supposed to cool down to 30 tonight, going under 39 at midnight.
But it's very windy and already 38, and I had a look outside and saw the edge of the clouds, meaning it'll cool down quickly once we're finally clear.

So instead of a fir fire lit when I go to bed, running at full blast to clean up the firebox, I just lit another normal fire. Oak, maple, and a split of pitch pine.
Tomorrow only 46, and I'll blast the fir through then.

Rest.of the week upper 40s and even upper 50s during the day, and 40s during the night. After that even higher.
So that's a wrap for this year. Mini split until no heat , then AC...

We have an outside temp of 12.9 tonight, the basement temp is starting off at 81 (I shut the pellet stove off at 10:45 tonight) the living area temps are 72 & 73 with the sleeper at 69 the last I checked.

The wood stove overnight fire has four splits of beech, one ash & ironwood split along with two splits of pine.

Currently 27 outside, inside is 69-70. Overnight is 4 ash, 1 ironwood, 1 big hickory split with 2 small hickory gap fillers.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Fir and one split of oak. Running it at full blast (at least as high as I can without the chimney probe getting into the red) to clean the firebox and crisp up the goo.

We had a low of 6.8 this morning, the living area temps were 67 & 68, the basement temp started off at 72 with the sleeper at 67.

We still had some nice coals this morning so the first two loads were some junky pine. NOAA is calling for a low of 7 tomorrow morning so I took some ashes out of the wood stove this afternoon.

That's a wrap. The cat just dropped out of the active zone. 8 hrs on a load of fir (only 15" long too) - and one split of oak

Trying to burn up the wood that I have stored on the porch rather than haul it back to the shed. Oak, pine and Bradford.

image.jpg

Our outside temp tonight is 18.7, the basement temp is starting out at 81 (pellet stove is off) both living area temps are 73 with the sleeper temp at 70.

The wood stove has beech, ironwood with two smaller splits of pine in it for our overnight heat.

Reactions: 30WCF and NickW
currently yahoo sez 34F/ real feel is 32
I started my top down at around 2130 last night after finding it was 59 in the salon

I just so happened to wake up throughout the night at intervals which allowed me to keep it going all night
it's currently 0640 and I just put in some small ash to kindle a 10" oak round I've been saving for a couple months which I put in at 0420
previous to that was oak+ash

I'm getting to the very end of my purchased in 2023 burnable. Literally just a couple days left. No matter, though, I have the ongoing drying cycle of elm, oak, hazel, fruitwoods and holly if I need to dip into it...and also a mountain of oak and poplar from my ongoing barn roof demo