What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
House was chilly this morning. Got the stove room up to 70 and the upstairs up to 65 last night, but cold walls suck up a lot of heat when trying to raise temperature. All rooms were 62-64 this morning. Full load of ash and aspen going now. Will probably have another load this afternoon, then a full hardwood load overnight.

We had a low of 25.7 this morning (should've had a fire overnight) the basement temp started out at 66, the living area temps were 66 & 67 with the sleeper temp at 67.

I had two pine fires this morning with the second one burning down. The basement temp is 81 and the living area temps are 68 & 69. I just started up the pellet stove for the day.

I shut the pellet stove off at 4 and made the switch over to the wood stove. The basement temp started off at 79 before the overnight fire, both temps in the living area are 72 with the sleeper temp at 70. The overnight fire has three splits of maple, two of beech and one of ironwood.

The outside temp tonight is 26.6, hopefully it stopped snowing.

Reactions: NickW and Wildflush
We had a low of 19 this morning, the basement temp started out at 73, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the sleeper temp at 70.

After our second cup of coffee, I loaded up the wood stove with one split of maple and the rest was pine.

Thought I was done burning but not the case. 31 this morning so loaded with Oak and Maple. Cruised at 550 STT to heat things up. Cold mornings coming up with mid 20’s tomorrow night. Looks like a few more AM fires.

The temp outside tonight is 29.3, the basement temp was 81 the last I looked, both living area temps are 73 with the sleeper temp at 71.

The pellet stove is still going, that will get shut off when I load up the wood stove with maple. I'll save the beech & ironwood for the colder temps coming in.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickW
Shoulder season load this morning. Just loaded up with 6 ash and 1 ironwood. 3-6" forecast for Thursday night into Friday morning.

Shoulder season load this morning. Just loaded up with 6 ash and 1 ironwood. 3-6" forecast for Thursday night into Friday morning.
We might get another four inches by the end of the day tomorrow.

We had a low temp of 29.3 this morning, the basement temp started out at 73, both living area temps were 71 with the sleeper temp coming in at 71.

About 30 minutes ago I started a shoulder season fire in the wood stove.

well, 37 F outside, howling wind, temps dropping to 28 F tonight. Tomorrow 42, tomorrow night 26.

So, two small fir pieces and two small maple splits, and a whole bunch of splitter trash that I just threw on top - to start the stove.
Later a reload with mostly maple for overnight. I'll string it along tomorrow, using the minisplit (when it's above 35 F tomorrow), and do a reload with a few oak shorties and maple splits (if any left) tomorrow night.

Last burn (barring the creosote in the firebox crisping fire later).

Going down to 18 tonight. 5 ash and 2 ironwood. Some pretty sizeable chunks. Top left and right are the ironwood, Middle top is a 5x8 ash half round.
17109841936495559391489576545115.jpg

We have an outside temp of 22.1 tonight, the basement temp is 81, the living area temps are 71 & 72 with the sleeper at 70.

The pellet stove will get shut off at 10:30 tonight and the wood stove will receive a load of maple, beech and some ironwood. Early tonight between 7 & 8 we had some pretty good winds with some whiteouts, I'm glad I wasn't on the roads.

Just reloaded. Maple and a two splits of oak

The oak is 4 years old, but the maple I split last.April.
Granted I split it small,.and I put.it in my "emergency" shed on the driveway - from which I take when winter outlasts my bay in the woodshed - and the driveway gets warm. I didntest.it and it read 18 pct.
Still I was apprehensive. But it took off right away and burns great.

We had a low of 13.3 this morning, the basement temp started out at 73, both temps in the living area were 69 with the sleeper temp at 69.

This morning I loaded up with hardwood, maple, beech & ironwood.

Reactions: stoveliker
That maple was of a lower-BTU variety I think. It burned quickly, and it's done.
ANother load. I'll keep it going as low as possible as it's 42 now (so minisplit, though still windy and blustery), until I reload later tonight.

Reactions: thewoodlands
My stove is cold right now but I'm causing an inconvenience to some electrons with my new heart pump. :)

Is been a year since we moved in and my brand spanking new Trane wouldn't make heat. Yesterday the unit was replaced, by the dealer, Trane never stepped up.

• Wow
Is been a year since we moved in and my brand spanking new Trane wouldn't make heat. Yesterday the unit was replaced, by the dealer, Trane never stepped up.
That's concerning... The furnace that was installed in the Northwoods build is a Trane...

That's concerning... The furnace that was installed in the Northwoods build is a Trane...
I use Trane commercial units at work and they are solid. I was being told by those distributors the residential units were chit. I should have listened but the last 2 Trane systems I've owned are rock solid to this day. In fairness the propane furnace has been solid. The HP part of the system would not run in heat mode, from day one.