What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
hopefully you preheat with your hair dryer inside...I use the Y cleanout outside <>

but, my what difference in smoke

Yes hairdryer inside my stove pointed toward my flue. About 2 minutes of inconvenience.
I wonder what makes the difference if it’s as simple as the house is warmer than outside, and heat rises. I never have an issue unless it’s super windy. Are you guys catching a downdraft off the peak of the roof?
This is today when I cleaned the chimney. I laid the phone on the flue collar of a dead cold stove pointing up the chimney. Cold draft will pull soot up the stack.

It's time to haul another half cord up to the house. Trouble is, the yard is so completely soggy that I can't get to the wood lot without making a mess.

I keep one "emergency cord" stacked on high ground near my barn. I may be tapping into that this week.

I usually bring a half cord up to the house every 3rd week, from the lower wood lot.

I wonder what makes the difference if it’s as simple as the house is warmer than outside, and heat rises. I never have an issue unless it’s super windy. Are you guys catching a downdraft off the peak of the roof?
This is today when I cleaned the chimney. I laid the phone on the flue collar of a dead cold stove pointing up the chimney. Cold draft will pull soot up the stack.

My temporary situation can be seen here:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hello-from-french-farmland.201936/#post-2701668

far from ideal
If I open my stove door, most of the time I feel cold air coming in.
The flue, once heated, draws very strong...as it's around 35 feet high

but when the flue is cold...cold air pushing down into the house IME
ambient temp in the living room/ salon is pretty cool without the fire

We have a temp of 19 at the moment, the basement is 81, the living area is 71 & 72 with the sleeper at 69.

I started a fire around 6 tonight, 3 ash splits on the bottom, 2 beech splits in the middle with 1 split of ironwood on top, that should give us some nice coals for the overnight burn. The wife did have a fire when I was outside plowing, ash & pine.

I think the overnight load will be 4 ash splits on the bottom, 3 beech splits on top of the ash with some ironwood on top of the beech splits.

My house is tight and if I don’t light my stove at night and the flue gets real cold due to outside temps I feel cool air inside the top of my stove near the flue in the morning due to negative pressure. Some folks use torches and newspaper to warm the flue before lighting to prevent smoke backdrafting during start up. I quickly reverse it with an hairdryer and a top down fire gets the draft going in the right direction quickly. Now if my chimney was inside my house going straight up without 90’s and offsets I probably would not have this issue. My installer said it’s very common on outside class A chimney systems.

Last edited:
The outside temp is 19.4, the basement temp started out at 77, the living area is 70 with the sleeper at 69.

I ended up putting the beech on the bottom row with the ash and ironwood on the second row.

yahoo sez 29/ Realfeel is 15...my mercury is at 26...Salon is a reasonable 63 with one elec Dimplex also which is on 1Kw

found a warm flue and 4 nice embers at 0600 and put on beech+ash+oak which are currently blazing away to set the base for the ash/oak load

Last edited:
it's a steady -2.5C / 27.5F today

it's all I can do to keep the salon around 18C / 64F...feeding the little Panadero a log or two an hour
kit/ mstr bdrm above it are 13C/ 55F and the office has to have at least 2 elec heaters to be bearable

roof insulation in this barn conversion is very, very poor 2"

only the office has better insulation above with 6" of cotton

Last edited:
25F outside, 63F in living room. Loaded back half of stove with ash and front with locust, seeing if I can burn down the massive coal bed a little more evenly.
similar sensations over here...we have 24F forecast through Sunday

time to pay for electric after 24-48 hrs of these temps

34 outside temp today. Running smaller loads of oak and cherry today 3/4 splits keeping stovetop around 500-525. House is comfortable.

We had a low of 20.7 this morning, the basement started of at 75, the living area was 68 & 69 with the sleeper at 68.

I burned down some of the beech coals this morning and then loaded up with pine & ash.

Reactions: zmender and NickW
It's 21F outside and 67F in living room, and the third load of the day is coaling now. Around midnight I'll load the stove with locust.

This year feels cooler than winter of 22-23? I don't remember if I pushed the stove this hard last year to stay warm.

Reactions: Bobbob
Load of oak with a maple jump start. Didn't stuff it full tonight it's only 25 out and still 69 in here. Bonus snow, wood, and dog pic!

What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Last edited by a moderator:
The outside temp tonight is 26.6, the basement started out at 75, the living area is 70 with the sleeper at 69.

The load in the wood stove tonight is, the bottom row has two splits of beech, both on the outside with two of ash on the inside, the middle row is all ash and the top two splits are ironwood.

Tomorrow morning we'll switch over to the pellet stove, before the high winds finally move in, it will get shut down. The house should hold the heat overnight until the winds leave on Wednesday morning. I'll do a check on the both chimneys before we start burning again.

At 0445 the mercury reads -5C/ 23F
yahoo sez -2C/ 20F with realfeel at -6C/ 21F

A nice bed of coals in the Salon which is a bearable 17C/ 62F with the early morning radiator on too

I put in beech+ ash...let it char and turned the intake down to a trickle

Jim (cat) has joined the usual suspects in the salon and found his place on the recliner...he usually won't come in here much, but it's too cold in his normal lairs

We had a low of 25.5 this morning, the basement started off at 73, the living area 68 & 69 with the sleeper at 68.

Since we'll get high winds later, the pellet stove will be used this morning and then shut down before the winds hit.

Top down load of Oak heating house up. Inside temp 64. Outside 19.

High winds tonight up to 65MPH won’t be burning. Up to 3” of rain.

Last edited:
Yeah similar High winds and lots of rain here too today too. I will be burning to keep the flue from drowning with the wind driven monsoon.
Found a few big chunks of very dry rotted cherry. Threw in a piece this morning on the top of the load starting on morning coals. Looks like it is burning, or at least turning red.

Reactions: Bobbob