What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had 21.5 this morning before the first cup of coffee, the basement started out at 73, the living area 68 & 69 with the sleeper at 68.

I burned down some coals before adding five splits of Ash.

Windy morning, start of a good winter storm with temps dropping to around 0*f as it exits. Will need more BTUs to keep us warm. Fired up the insert with elm and will switch to some sort of maple. Myra still cruising along with elm. Cup of joe for me.

The winds will start later tonight so I switched over to heating with the pellet stove, if the forecast is correct, things get real chitty tomorrow afternoon.

The last I looked, they were calling for 6 -12 inches of snow. The rain comes first and then the wind with snow.

Earlier today I started snowblowing to take my son to work, 2 hours later I had things cleared enough to get out and there was another 4" already where I had started. 😡

Just threw some aspen and pine on top of some ash that went in about 4:00 to give a little burst of heat. Next round of snowblowing about to begin so I can go get the kid at work at 10...

Sure wish I had brought the big snowblower home from the Northwoods. This last week I've done more clearing than I usually do in a whole winter here.

Evidently way too much...whoops 😬. Shorts and no shirt weather in here tonight.

Last load in the Switzer for the day. 46 pounds of Osage orange. First load this morning was 90lb, this afternoon 80lb, now the 46. All Osage Orange. 74* on main floor, 71* upstairs, 62* in garage, and 89* in boiler room (separate room off the garage). Outside, the lowest wind chill was -18.9* today. Currently 7.2* with wind chill of -11.6*.

Could be worse. Says they got some rain on the tail end. Wonder how much. Love it up there. Got a great powder day last year. Always gotta have a switchback at least once when your up that way. Not a great winter for riding. hopefully that changes.
This trip was decent. The two days we were on the slopes, it snowed and visibility was poor, but also kept temp relatively warm. Most of my gears were built around a minimum of 15F base temperature (no idea peak temp), anything colder than that, I'm bailing out.

---------------

Got home around 6pm tonight, and took around 8pm to get everything settled. Living room was 62F with oil furnace. Took opportunity to scope out ash, and also scrubbed and vacuumed all primary air channels.

Lit fire top down with red oak on bottom, ash mid layer, and cedar + bio bricks on top. Secondaries caught around 5min, and I'm proud to say that I had no visible smoke after about 10min mark.

Currently STT is around 450, blower to max, and throttle at around 40%. Time to get some BTUs back into house.

Our road and the next crossroad haven't been plowed yet and there's a good foot I bet. Drifting is getting bad on the main roads that have been plowed. Still pretty dicey out there. And then a couple of deer ran across the road in front of me on the way to get the kid from work. Grumble grumble...

Ash, sugar maple and hickory just went in. Temps are starting to drop. Below 0 tomorrow night.

62F in the salon; yahoo sez -2C/ 28F with realfeel at -7C/ 19F; but my mercury sez -3C/26F

senior cat woke me at 0600 to let me know last chance to keep the fire going so I got up and kindled it back to full; put on my typical oak+beech+ash...been sittin here long enough it's time to re-up

Nothing in the stove today. It's the middle of January and 50+ degrees today. Ridiculous. The heat pump will do the work today.

View attachment 322599
Will trade with you. About 22* now, dropping to 0* tonight and will be lucky to get up in the single digits for the following 4 days or so. It will be headed your way later next week!

Evidently way too much...whoops 😬. Shorts and no shirt weather in here tonight.

View attachment 322591
Apparently, my office almost down to 81°F, as of this morning. Haven't loaded a stove yet today, still running on last-night's load.

IMG_1787.JPG

Just a small shoulder season fire to keep the coal bed healthy + chimney hot.

Although it's 53F outside, there's still a decent thermal load to maintain house warm due to the 30mph wind gusts, so still need some wood burning to keep the masonry hot to gradually release heat.

The outside temp was 34.2 this morning. I had the pellet stove set in the middle of the medium setting overnight, I never did check the basement temp (75?) the living area was 70 & 71 this morning with the sleeper at 69.

We had some strong winds earlier this morning but they were done by the time we had our first cup of coffee. The wood stove has five splits of ash in it.

Just walked thru the great room, where Ashford #2 resides. Big open space, ideal for stove heating, if it weren’t for all the solar gain on sunny days. In any case, cloudy and rain this morning, and 78F in that wing of the house, from yesterday’s load of mostly Ash.

That’s honestly a bit of an overshot, it wasn’t as cold overnight as expected. I usually target 73-74F for this room.

Reactions: Bobbob
Winter has arrived in Southern Ontario for the last 2 days and will get pretty chilly for the upcoming 10 days. It's been rain, snow, rain, snow, when it stops its going to be highs of 20* and lows around 0* F for all of next week is the forecast.
The winds are picking up over here along with the snow.

Reactions: Bobbob and zmender