What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cold start this AM to bring house to 72. Let it die out 42 here. Restart after dinner dropping to high 20’s.

Reactions: thewoodlands
sounds like he means that hickory is leaving a lot of ashes behind :)
yes, that is the impression i got... and i said i'm ok with it since i paid 0¢ for the little bit i have or had.
kinda like grilling with charcoal briquets... produces lots of ash yet it's a consist source of heat.

57F in the Salon today/ 56F in the kitchen
we were in the office today with 2 elec heaters at about 18C/64F

cold is coming, gotta light the stove soon

i'm ok with the ash... the little bit i have/had was free to me and the heat is gives is nice.
also kept a coupla bundles for brisket.
Yea, I’m sure people would love to have these coals all day contributing heat to the house. I put this load in 19 hours ago. 1st world problems I have 😎

E352F587-38C2-434D-84FB-CBE5739BC876.jpeg

We had a low of 30.4 this morning, the basement started out at 73, the living area was 68 with the sleeper at 69.

The load this morning while having coffee was all pine, we had some nice coals so it took off pretty quick.

Coals pulled forward, overnight load in. Usually I aim for more of a tight pack but I was a bit sloppy since this only has to get me through til a 6am reload this time. 6am will get a nice minimal air space reload as it will have to get by for 24hrs on its own.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Just reload mine too. Sugar maple e/w since splits are 19”. Last 5 loads were like that. Not sure why I cut the wood that way, oh well. Tomorrow i will do two short (full throttle) hot burns (hemlock) and that will be it for me until April. Hopefully, April will still be cool to run the stove.

sounds like he means that hickory is leaving a lot of ashes behind :)
Having just burned more than a cord of Hickory, this is fresh in my memory, and I can say yes... hickory leaves an insane pile-up of ash.

When burning oak or most other woods, I usually empty ash out of my stoves once per week. Not that they absolutely need it in most cases, but I like to do these jobs on a weekend and two weeks is too long to push. I'd guess every 10th day would be reasonable, if I wanted to let it go and handle it on a weekday.

But when burning hickory, I was finding I was wanting to empty dead ash out of the stove every 4th day, or thereabouts. Absolutely insane, versus what I'm used to.

I did notice if I ignored the pile up, they did not continue piling up at the same rate, meaning some part of that ash bed is "going away". Whether it's getting consumed as fuel, blasted up the chimney as solid particulate matter, or finding its way out of the door and into our home with each reload, I guess I can't say. Likely some part of all three.

We have an outside temp of 31.6 tonight, the basement is starting off at 75, the living area is 70 & 71 with the sleeper at 70.

The wood stove received eight splits of ash and one split of pine, that should give us enough heat with the outside temps we're having.

33F outside and 64F in living room this morning. Supposedly some flurry might be coming down this morning. Rearranged the coal bed and reloaded with locust.
The roads were slick this morning, the snow was coming down pretty and the plows weren't out in this area yet. We had a temp of 30.6 this morning while we had our first cup of coffee, we have a temp of 19 while I type.

The snow did stop but the roads are still slick in this area.

Reactions: zmender
We had 30.6 earlier this morning (19 at the moment) the basement started out at 75, the living area was 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 69.

Our load this morning was all ash except for one split of ironwood.

Nothing came at all. Disappointed - I have yet to see snow this season.

Living room is comfortable at 67F, I have about 2 hours of quality heat left from this morning's load of locust. Looks like another no-frill 3-load day.

Nothing came at all. Disappointed - I have yet to see snow this season.

Living room is comfortable at 67F, I have about 2 hours of quality heat left from this morning's load of locust. Looks like another no-frill 3-load day.
Are they calling for any snow in your area from the system on the weekend?

I just loaded up the stove with seven or eight ash splits & one split of ironwood. The basement started out at 77, the living area 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 68, the outside temp is 18.2.

A week ago yes, but now the forecast is updated to "rain / snow" instead of just snow.
We might get 3 - 5 inches but the system on Wednesday sounds like we'll get some rain, I better get some wood in.

The cold is here, it won't stay long but we're at 10.9 tonight.

The wife wanted the pellet stove running, we'll burn that until its time for the overnight burn in the wood stove.

It's 5.7 out tonight, I started the pellet stove up after I took the dog for a walk before supper. The basement is 79, the living area temps are 72 & 75 with the sleeper at 69.

Later on I'll shut the pellet stove off then I'll go back to burning some ash & ironwood in the wood stove for some overnight heat.

Reactions: all night moe
Dang the wind is picking up... getting some 30mph gusts with 22F ambient temperature.

I didn't plan for it but I managed to burn down a load of locust this evening. All is good since even with throttle at ~50%, I barely kept 66F in the living room.

I just did a full reload... Even with throttle at 50% I should still have good coal bed around 7AM tomorrow.

wind and rain have finally left us alone and a cooling trend has arrived
yahoo sez 3°C/ 37°F out side but my mercury sez 1.5/33

it actually feels warmer than that fierce, howling wind we've had since xmas at 5C warmer ambient

When I got outta bed fog started rolling in and 30min later I can barely see into my back field and the valley in front has disappeared

I'm guessing the Salon is 15/59 with all the heat gone off

cold coals in the Panadero...we gonna sweep that flue today