What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don’t know how one can function in 15C indoor temp. Sweaters and blankets I guess. I keep my house at that temp when I am away.
It's not okay...

yeah, undershirt/thermal/shirt/wool sweater/cotton hoodie or fleece is the upper layer formula
cotton socks then wool socks...

ears, nose and fingers not too pleasant

rads in the office probably have it around 18C

I'd rather keep the stove burning, but it's nice not to stress over this Panadero fiasco today

Reactions: thewoodlands
you actually do get used to it.if i go to my kids house i just start sweating to hot.
I'm from northern California...heat the house? Gimme a break! I seldom lived anywhere in California with central heating...we were always cold in winter as kids/ young peoples

I personally dont mind cold starts really. I like the different ways to light and start a fire, and run it right. Its an Art, lol.
Sure, sure…I’d really rather not

And nope, we’re going with gas and electric heaters tonight…12°C/ 53F outside tonight

65F indoors and 37F outside. Coals are mostly burnt down from this morning, and another load of locust just went in.

Friends are coming over tonight and oven will be running at 400F next few hours. Warm evening coming up :)

It's not okay...

yeah, undershirt/thermal/shirt/wool sweater/cotton hoodie or fleece is the upper layer formula
cotton socks then wool socks...

ears, nose and fingers not too pleasant

rads in the office probably have it around 18C

I'd rather keep the stove burning, but it's nice not to stress over this Panadero fiasco today

Man I don't mean to put you off with my comments. I'm just brainwashed from childhood to panic over CO.

Man I don't mean to put you off with my comments. I'm just brainwashed from childhood to panic over CO.
absolutely no problemo! I and the whole of my family appreciate concern from someone I've never me =-D

You make very good points, and I agree with you...I need a bigger firebox too

Maybe a coincidence, but today my motion sickness I've been suffering with for about 10 days has gone, hallelujah! My MIL is still struggling, tho

aaaand, today we didn't fire up the stove...maybe there is an issue with our install of the wood burner? I'm probably sweeping it tomorrow, cuz cold is coming...I don't know ...we'll c

absolutely no problemo! I and the whole of my family appreciate concern from someone I've never me =-D

You make very good points, and I agree with you...I need a bigger firebox too

Maybe a coincidence, but today my motion sickness I've been suffering with for about 10 days has gone, hallelujah! My MIL is still struggling, tho

aaaand, today we didn't fire up the stove...maybe there is an issue with our install of the wood burner? I'm probably sweeping it tomorrow, cuz cold is coming...I don't know ...we'll c
I was about to start commenting on your stove saga, then I realized I would be derailing this mammoth thread😝. Did you start a dedicated one re your install?

Reactions: ctreitzell
Last edited:
After supper I loaded up the heater with ash, I thought today would be a pine day but decided I would stay with hardwood. The basement temp was 79 when I left with the temps in the living area 71 & 72.

About 3in of coals to burn down. Primary is at max, tossed in a few small splits of ash around half hour ago.

We are going down to low 20s tonight, so I need max room for locust and biobricks when I reload later this *evening*.

Edit *: later this night. it's already 8pm.

We have an outside temp of 31.1 back here, the basement temp started out at 77, the living area is 71 with the sleeper at 69.

I loaded up the wood stove with ash splits and 2 smaller splits of ironwood, the left side stovetop temp was 450, the right was 550 with the pipe temp at 350.

Reactions: all night moe
This week has been mostly oak, shagbark hickory, and mulberry... and we're still running a little cool indoors each time the mercury dips into the 20's.

We've opened up an additional floor of our house, which was previously always kept closed during heating season, and the additional heat load has been quite noticeable, in that the first floor is now not holding the same temperatures it always has previously, given the same burn rates vs. outdoor temperature. I'm debating a few solutions, but no emergency, as the central heating is always there to back up the stoves when needed.

install another one lol good excercise
No doubt. But this hobby already takes more time than is financially or socially justifiable. Adding a third large stove would be counterproductive, by those measures.

Reactions: ctreitzell
Not sure what happened, maybe I left throttle open too much, or draft was unusually strong last night, or I just woke up too late, this morning the living room was cold (60F) and my coal bed was completely burnt down.

Had to relight the fire this morning from kindling. Finally loaded up on full sized locust splits about half an hour ago.

Reactions: all night moe
wind has been scary here these past 3 days; SCARY!

rain so heavy today, flooded the workshop 😨
...not completely, but a few gallons on the floor

I'm sure it's leaves in the gutter...I cleared the gutters when we put up the lights 3 weeks ago

I normally do it again when we take down the lights (Jan6)

stove still cold...we didn't sweep today...rain and wind have been far to violent to be outside

I had decent coals this morning from some oak chunks last night. Wasn't expecting that seeing I loaded it up at 9pm and the temps were in the 20s. House was 65 when I woke up. It got some smaller splits of oak and maple. That'll do till tonight with the temps hitting 40 and sunny during the day. Anyone else burning less wood on the east coast this year? I barely had to run the stove more than 2 days in a row all of December.

Anyone else burning less wood on the east coast this year? I barely had to run the stove more than 2 days in a row all of December.
Similar here. I've only gone through about a cord so far. Usually I'd be at the end of cord #2 or starting cord #3 by now, but some of that I think is because of the damper I installed in February. Effective heat is much longer now with a more controllable burn.

We have a cold stretch coming next week so we'll start using more. Have my first big chunk of ironwood inside for tonight's load. Going down into the teens, so not necessary; but I really want to see how good it is.

I finished bringing the last of the SB hickory to the porch wood rack, a face cord to go. It’s good wood but a massive ash producer. Up next will be maple oak and beech, a welcome relief.
i'm ok with the ash... the little bit i have/had was free to me and the heat is gives is nice.
also kept a coupla bundles for brisket.

i'm ok with the ash... the little bit i have/had was free to me and the heat is gives is nice.
also kept a coupla bundles for brisket.
sounds like he means that hickory is leaving a lot of ashes behind :)