What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Coals right now. Will let it die out tonight. I loaded this morning with 6 splits of red oak and left at 7:30am and got back at 6pm to a bunch of hot coals and the stove top fan still going. It was a balmy 58° out today, house at 70°. I am happy with the 10+ hours and still have the ability to not have to do a cold start.

Ash filled cold stove tonight. There probably won’t be another fire here till at least Thursday night. Warmer weather has settled back in bringing some highs up to 70F.

It’s only been -15C around here in the mornings lately. And, like always, there are only pine trees. Lit the main stove in mid-September and it will burn steady until mid-March. On pine.
Sigh.
Pining for something else than pine ...

Last edited:
Pine is fine but ..,,..
This is the longest we've burned pine in November but since we usually go from winter to summer and skip spring, we'll burn the hardwood in what was spring.

Reactions: MMH and Piney
Stove had a day and a half break, It got to 65ish as a high yesterday, tonight a low of 32, so a short fire for now until bedtime reload. Mostly boxelder, but I may also throw in a split or 2 of cherry so there are coals for morning reload.

Warning sarcasm ahead...
You all burning pine all of the time is liable to cause the magnetic poles to flip or the earth to start turning the other direction! ;lol At the very least it may cause the fuel in your neighbors lawnmower to go bad this winter!

Stove is mt at the moment it’s 65F outside.

Lol. 1/6 of what I have for this winter is pine. Because it lights easier on cold starts and too-late reloads of the d*mned oak that I drown in that is 3 years old but still about 20 pct... ;-)

That was facts and sarcasm mixed together. The grass is always cleaner on the other side.

NOAA is calling for a low of 41 tonight, more of that pole flipping pine went in the Lopi.

Reactions: MMH
We had 41.5 this morning with a load of pine going in the stove.

NOAA is calling for a low of 29 tonight with a load of hardwood heating the house.

Reactions: MMH
So far it has been 100% hemlock/basswood mix. I am running out of kindling. Maybe will put some hard maple in this eve and hopefully have some coals in the morning for easy restart.

Tried to get through to tomorrow but the lows are going into the low 30's tonight. Today was beautiful but the wind was blowing pretty good so solar gain was low. A few tiny oak splits just to keep the chill off. True shoulder season here this year. Weather man is calling for 50-60's highs and 30's lows for the rest of the month.

Tried to get through to tomorrow but the lows are going into the low 30's tonight. Today was beautiful but the wind was blowing pretty good so solar gain was low. A few tiny oak splits just to keep the chill off. True shoulder season here this year. Weather man is calling for 50-60's highs and 30's lows for the rest of the month.

Boy it was windy today. Before yesterday the leaves were pretty well still on the trees for the most part. Today all but stripped the trees of the leaves. Makes deer hunting easier. Amazing the difference a day can make.

Its 40 out now with a low of 35 for tonight. I have some post oak for the heat tonight.