What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
More uglies for the insert.
What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Nothing wrong with pine. I like burning pine.
It took me a couple of years before the wife agreed but she likes burning pine, saves on pellets, oil and hardwood.

I did tell her that I would clean the chimney after we were done burning pine each year, that sealed the deal.

First good cold front has set in for the week here. Will be dipping in the lower 30’s and high 20’s for the first time this year. A mixture of oak, locus and cherry to warm us through the evening and overnight.

We had 35.2 this morning, after we voted I started a pine fire. Looking at the weather forecast, we only have a few nights below 30 with the temps during the day sort of like we've had this week, maybe even warmer.

I'm thinking about burning pine until it gets colder.
As much as you have, keep on keeping on with your Pine!

As much as you have, keep on keeping on with your Pine!
Before I get going on the pine again, I want another two face cord of hardwood c/s/s before the Nov. 15.

I have been thinking about another stacking area for pine but that might have to wait until next year.

@moresnow , what temps are you getting in your area?

Reactions: MEngineer24 and MMH
Before I get going on the pine again, I want another two face cord of hardwood c/s/s before the Nov. 15.

I have been thinking about another stacking area for pine but that might have to wait until next year.

@moresnow , what temps are you getting in your area?
We are very warm yet with highs in the 40's and 50's with lows between 25 and high 30's. We even have a couple days in the 60's forecast over the weekend. Oddly warm fall. I am not complaining. At all!

We are very warm yet with highs in the 40's and 50's with lows between 25 and high 30's. We even have a couple days in the 60's forecast over the weekend. Oddly warm fall. I am not complaining. At all!
That must be what we're going to get, Friday we hit 47, Saturday 49 and we keep on getting warmer with the temp almost hitting 60 on 11/12.

Reactions: MEngineer24
Pine, pine and more pine... it's all I have ready here in the northwoods of WI. Until the furnace is connected or I get wood from home up here, it's gonna be pine. I am going to haul some seasoned hard and soft wood from home (southeast WI). I was shocked when I tested the black ash I css last fall up here and some still wouldn't register on the meter. The birch was better, but not ready. Can't complain too much though, it's 64 degrees inside and right around 30 outside. Never got over 35 today.

Hello all! Another burning season is upon us :cool: Got the chimney swept today and burned 2 small break ins for the soapstone. This year will be almost exclusively hickory and red oak. Hope everyone had a good summer and I'm excited to read about everyone's wood burning adventures this season.

It's 29.8 tonight with either pine or some hardwood going in the wood stove. I added a few rounds from cherry tops and some smaller splits of yellow birch on top of the pine.

Last edited:
Low of 30’s tonight, currently it’s 40 with a stove full of cherry and some oak. Cold is supposed to continue through the weekend. Once it dips into the 20’s I might sneak into the locust stash.

Back home tonight after blowing the serpentine belt in the driveway this morning up north. Nothing like doing a serpentine belt on a diesel on a gravel driveway!!! Anyway, just loaded the NC30 up with a mix of ash and aspen. Nice to be back to the familiar stove instead of the new fireplace up north and decent wood. Going to haul some of the good stuff up with me Sunday to tide me over until the furnace gets finished...