What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Some chunks and uglies -- red maple I believe. I also used some smashed up 2 x 4s from a forcible entry class at a recent Fire Academy which were perfect for use as kindling.

We’ve been down to the low 20’s lately and I’ve been burning my old hollow interior doors that I cut up into 18" squares and some other miscellaneous scrap wood ie. oak mower crates and whatever I have on hand. I won’t be burning cord wood for another month or so since I need to get rid of all the scrap I have laying around… it’s a disease for me picking it all up and bringing it home for the kill.

That's one way to clean up around the area but is that stuff good to burn (the hollow door) because would not that be considered "treated wood"--just wondering no negatives here...What kind of stove do you have WiscWoody and you sure live in a pretty state as well..clancey

More cherry and a few small oak rounds warming the house this evening. Had low of 26F this morning and are supposed to drop back down to 24F tonight.

That's one way to clean up around the area but is that stuff good to burn (the hollow door) because would not that be considered "treated wood"--just wondering no negatives here...What kind of stove do you have WiscWoody and you sure live in a pretty state as well..clancey
First Off, I won’t burn treated scraps as I know they will pollute our good clean air up here in the northland and I wander about the old doors but I think it’s ok, not as clean as cord wood of course but they are made with some kind of softwood for the frames and a thin wood for the shell and some corrugated cardboard like materials inside of them in a honeycomb pattern. I dont know what kind of finish they put on them back in the 70’s when they were made but it’s not a polyurethane. The biggest thing for me is that I have to put them in one at a time with some other scraps like since they really take off and burn rapidy But choking off the air helps keep them In check. I have a Drolet advanced burn (tubes) stove. I’ve checked my chimney when I burn them too and theres no visible smoke coming up and out.

Reactions: MEngineer24
Its 44 now and we are suppose to get down to 35 tonight. I just started a load of black jack and red oak. I've been burning one load per day the last week or so with day time highs having gotten up tothe 50s. If the forecast holds up it looks like I will be burning 2 loads a day around a week from now with lows in 20s and highs in the 40s.

Reloaded the stove for the night with some oak and a few pieces of locust. Headed for a low in the 20’s tonight.

We're at 28.8 tonight with NOAA forecasting a low of 29, the overnight load is going with three splits of hardwood on the bottom and the rest is pine.

Its 46 out and we are only getting down to 40 tonight. I have a small load of post oak for the night. Looks like the stove will go cold for the next 4 days or so. Highs will be in the 60s and even a 70 in there I believe with lows in the 50s. I think around Thursday they are forecasting some cold air to arrive again.

NOAA is calling for a low of 29, we're at 28.4 with three splits of maple on the bottom with two smaller rounds of cherry on the top.

Looks like another low of 28-30 tonight. Got a good shot of the cat chewing through the pine, another load of tonight of course.