We definitely want to know

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Many of you have responded to the post about the BK dealer who raised his price after the sale. Well, he called me today and I had to agree to pay him an extra $200 in addition to the receipt amount I have on my printed receipt.
I know several members here said just kill the deal and some of you said hold him to the original deal. $200 won't break me and definitely won't make or break his business. But now, I sure as hell would not recommend him to anyone else.
Hopefully all will go smoothly from here. We'll see???
Thanks for the input and as someone suggested, I will take pictures and post during the install.
Man, I like this site and all the info.
If he did it to you I'm 100% sure he's doing it to others. No way I'd deal with him. He's conning you out of money, no other reason for it.

Reactions: ispinwool
I hope if a problem crops up he's on your side.

Ever done that? A small claims judgement still requires enforcement. Ever tried to pursue enforcement against someone determined to avoid it?

If it's down to $250, not even close to worth the time and effort. Probably not even for $700. At this point, it's time to either get the stove or the original money back, and if one is of the mind to do so, make a point by trying to do some reputation damage to make a point and personal satsfaction, after.

Once someone displays the moral fiber and audacity to not honor a contract that they well know that they've entered into, you are dealing with a bad and/or desperate person. Get what you can as quickly as possible, and get out.
Yeah, I've done it several times. Easier with a business than an individual. Got a contractor thrown in jail after he declared bankruptcy. Is it worth my time? No. But the satisfaction is priceless.

Yes they have a thermostatic control. Now they just need a reliable stove to go with it.
I hear you. I was just poking the bear. I’m starting to come around. I’m going to replace the refractory box in mine and start saving for my next stove once the VC wears out again

Reactions: bholler
I hear you. I was just poking the bear. I’m starting to come around. I’m going to replace the refractory box in mine and start saving for my next stove once the VC wears out again
I know I am just poking back

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
Yeah, I've done it several times. Easier with a business than an individual. Got a contractor thrown in jail after he declared bankruptcy. Is it worth my time? No. But the satisfaction is priceless.
Understand, sometime it is worth it to just set things right.

A restaurant tried to rip us off on Christmas Eve by trying to give us $10 credit for a gift card that was worth $50. I, despite being in a good mood, went right to guns on them, and told them that they were going to have some real problems coming from Costco (card was sold at Costco) and the credit card company if they didn't honor its worth. Their backtracking left skid marks. There are so many crooks around.

If someone went to jail in a bankruptcy situation, they committed fraud and hid assets. Not for the faint of heart to try to uncover that without special knowledge or spending lots of legal $$$ to pursue it. Unlikely for a small claims situation.

In any event, I applaud you for standing up for what's right. For $250, I'm not sure I'd have the energy. For $700, maybe.

Many of you have responded to the post about the BK dealer who raised his price after the sale. Well, he called me today and I had to agree to pay him an extra $200 in addition to the receipt amount I have on my printed receipt.
I know several members here said just kill the deal and some of you said hold him to the original deal. $200 won't break me and definitely won't make or break his business. But now, I sure as hell would not recommend him to anyone else.
Hopefully all will go smoothly from here. We'll see???
Thanks for the input and as someone suggested, I will take pictures and post during the install.
Man, I like this site and all the info.
This is a case where online reviews are an option. Let him know, after it's in and done, that you are going to post a review of his company and practices. You might be getting screwed over but putting the story out there may prevent others from getting hammered too. It'll also give the store owner his chance to defend himself.

Reactions: Wildbilljp
So, just to update on the dealer who changed his price after the sale.... I picked the BK Princess up this evening on what may turn out to be the coldest day of the year. Everything went well, guy treated me like a customer he wanted to keep. No haggling over price, paid exactly $200 more than my receipt balance said. Looked through everything before leaving the store. This is what we found:
1. Top piece of Shroud is bent.
2. Side piece of shroud is bent.
3. One of the fire bricks inside the insert is broken in half.
4. Trim piece on top corner of insert is bent.
Remedy: 1 &2. Dealer said he had a new shroud shipped to my address as of today.
3. Dealer gave me a firebrick to replace the broken one. Only thing, it was not the same lava brick that came with the Princess.
4. Dealer didn't know about the bent trim piece because I didn't see it inside the crate until unpacking at home. I can fix the bent corner no
problem. None of these things were caused by the dealer but he did his best to satisfy a customer.
After all the BS, I'm happy to have that part over with.
Hearth.com

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
So, just to update on the dealer who changed his price after the sale.... I picked the BK Princess up this evening on what may turn out to be the coldest day of the year. Everything went well, guy treated me like a customer he wanted to keep. No haggling over price, paid exactly $200 more than my receipt balance said. Looked through everything before leaving the store. This is what we found:
1. Top piece of Shroud is bent.
2. Side piece of shroud is bent.
3. One of the fire bricks inside the insert is broken in half.
4. Trim piece on top corner of insert is bent.
Remedy: 1 &2. Dealer said he had a new shroud shipped to my address as of today.
3. Dealer gave me a firebrick to replace the broken one. Only thing, it was not the same lava brick that came with the Princess.
4. Dealer didn't know about the bent trim piece because I didn't see it inside the crate until unpacking at home. I can fix the bent corner no
problem. None of these things were caused by the dealer but he did his best to satisfy a customer.
After all the BS, I'm happy to have that part over with.
Hearth.com
Well done, wild Bill. Get her running, get warm.

For $200, maybe just feel sorry for the poor guy needing to grab another nickel like that. Someone who is doing well probably doesn't do that. Sorry it was at your expense. I'd just ride off from it and enjoy your new stove.

Reactions: Wildbilljp
This is a case where online reviews are an option. Let him know, after it's in and done, that you are going to post a review of his company and practices. You might be getting screwed over but putting the story out there may prevent others from getting hammered too. It'll also give the store owner his chance to defend himself.
I agree about online review. I ordered a specially shaped gothic style window, and more than 4months past the agreed upon delivery and install date it still hadn’t been installed, even though he’d promised in 4 different conversations that he’d do it in the next week. So I started posting reviews online and before I had finished the review on the second site the head office was calling me to remove the review and they installed the window within a couple days.