Truck Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I have a 2015 Silverado with the electric steering. The steering seems, recently, to be softer. Maybe the smallest amount of play but it does have 128,000 miles. Everything under the truck is still tight and it still tracks pretty straight. The tires are old and I do need new ones. I have no experience with the electric steering so I do not know how aging would feel with it. Maybe an alignment but if it drifts in the slightest, it not specific to one side. Any input would be appreciated.

I have a 2015 Silverado with the electric steering. The steering seems, recently, to be softer. Maybe the smallest amount of play but it does have 128,000 miles. Everything under the truck is still tight and it still tracks pretty straight. The tires are old and I do need new ones. I have no experience with the electric steering so I do not know how aging would feel with it. Maybe an alignment but if it drifts in the slightest, it not specific to one side. Any input would be appreciated.
Start with new tires and have tge alignment checked then. It may be something else but I would start there

I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re grtting some wear in the suspension and steering. Ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. trucks have a lot of inertia that needs to be controlled and things like potholes, dirt and grime don’t help part longevity!

128 k, if you have done nothing - tires, shocks, ball joints , tie rod ends, and you may or maynot have a steering dampner. In my experience with electric failure it tends to be a little bit on the catastrophic side, seldom slowly fades, intermittent or very jerky.

So I happened to park in some grass yesterday. I rolled my window down and watched my front tire move as I moved the wheel. Even the slightest movement in the wheel moved the tire. I think everything in that aspect is OK. I am just going to have to bite the bullet and buy tires, which are far from cheap anymore.
Without any electric steering experience, I just wouldn't know what to expect. First time the tires have not been good since I have owned this truck. There doesn't seem to be any play in on gravel either.
Tires first I guess...

What do you mean by softer? The electric power steering rack varies steering effort depending on vehicle speed (atleast ford does) the lower speed the easier it is and vice versa. Have you never changed your tires? If not at 128k I’m surprised you aren’t riding on the belts.

Also at 128k your shocks are smoked. To test ball joints, you would jack up the front of the truck and grab the too and bottom of the tire and rock it back and forth to check for play. The tie rods would be grabbing the side and doing the same. There should be very little, if any. If there is play, take the wheel off and see where the play is coming from, making sure it’s not from the wheel bearing.

Last edited:
What do you mean by softer? The electric power steering rack varies steering effort depending on vehicle speed (atleast ford does) the lower speed the easier it is and vice versa. Have you never changed your tires? If not at 128k I’m surprised you aren’t riding on the belts.

Also at 128k your shocks are smoked. To test ball joints, you would jack up the front of the truck and grab the too and bottom of the tire and rock it back and forth to check for play. The tie rods would be grabbing the side and doing the same. There should be very little, if any. If there is play, take the wheel off and see where the play is coming from, making sure it’s not from the wheel bearing.

It can be hard to feel the difference between sloppy ball joints and a sloppy unit bearing assembly (wheel bearings).

How would bad shocks contribute to the problem? My original ford shocks have 240k.

Shocks are dampers, so under the right conditions your rear axle could start hopping and you could get some additional sway in the back.

Reactions: weee123
It can be hard to feel the difference between sloppy ball joints and a sloppy unit bearing assembly (wheel bearings).

How would bad shocks contribute to the problem? My original ford shocks have 240k.

That’s why I said after feeling slop take the wheel off to make sure of where the slop is coming from, using a pry bar as a lever to check the tightness of individual components.

As eaten said, the clapped out shocks will increase vehicle sway and affect handling especially in turns. Shocks are a wear item and do need to be replaced from time to time. I would put money on if you replaced the shocks on your ford you’d feel a world of difference. Shocks degrade over time and since it is gradual, you probably wouldn’t be able to tell they were bad unless you hopped in a similar vehicle with new shocks and felt just how bad yours have gotten.

When you get your tires changed, the shop will look over everything. Even the bad shops want to add items onto the repair bill, lol. If the part makes sense to change, it might not be a bad idea to get it done.

The new tire alignment will not be a good alignment if there is play in the components, and that’ll cause those expensive tires to wear faster.

Play in the steering is annoying until it causes an accident or prevents you from avoiding one.

That’s why I said after feeling slop take the wheel off to make sure of where the slop is coming from, using a pry bar as a lever to check the tightness of individual components.

As eaten said, the clapped out shocks will increase vehicle sway and affect handling especially in turns. Shocks are a wear item and do need to be replaced from time to time. I would put money on if you replaced the shocks on your ford you’d feel a world of difference. Shocks degrade over time and since it is gradual, you probably wouldn’t be able to tell they were bad unless you hopped in a similar vehicle with new shocks and felt just how bad yours have gotten.

I was a kid that lifted a jeep and the shocks weren't long enough so just went without them for awhile. No problem on the road but a little bouncy in the bumps! All the schocks do is dampen the suspension bounce. Going down a highway I can't see how they are doing anything.

Yes tires pressure looks good. I may be just being particular. I could maybe be imagining things. Maybe I have just put something in my head and now I am lying to myself lol. I pulled tires again and greased tie rods and ball joints. Tight as can be.

Any suggestion on cheaper tires that people are having luck with? I prefer ATs.

Any suggestion on cheaper tires that people are having luck with? I prefer ATs.
It's the only point of contact between you and the road... not worth saving money on IMO

I was a kid that lifted a jeep and the shocks weren't long enough so just went without them for awhile. No problem on the road but a little bouncy in the bumps! All the schocks do is dampen the suspension bounce. Going down a highway I can't see how they are doing anything.

Shocks do more than just dampen bounce. They also control vehicle sway and body roll in turns by controlling how fast weight transfers.

Reactions: Highbeam
A local shop suggested that it's probably the tires based on how minor the issue seems to be. They do free alignment and mount with tires so I am going to give the Kenda Klever AT2 a run. Will update when the new tires are on.

Reactions: weee123