There's a hole in my new drolet...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Just an FYI to drolet owners of the Legend, Baltic, Myriad, and austral ( I am assuming all models have this but not 100% sure) , that at the bottom of your stove where the air intake is, there is still a little hole that can be covered if your stove is over firing. I'm assuming a magnet would work.

I put my hand over the hole and you can really feel the draft.

Attachments

• There's a hole in my new drolet...
    IMG_20191118_200022.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 179
Just an FYI to drolet owners of the Legend, Baltic, Myriad, and austral ( I am assuming all models have this but not 100% sure) , that at the bottom of your stove where the air intake is, there is still a little hole that can be covered if your stove is over firing. I'm assuming a magnet would work.

I put my hand over the hole and you can really feel the draft.
Most stoves have something similar you just have to find it

You might hear a whistling-like sound from that area as air gets through that hole. If the noise bothers you, then a small magnet placed around the rim of the hole can disturb the air flow through to eliminate the noise...

To ruin the party for some, the reason the hole is there are that people insist upon overloading a stove with wood and trying to crank down the air to reduce output. Sometimes its to get longer overnight burn, other times its just they want to stretch out the time before reloading. Cranking the air down is equivalent to wiring the throttle of a car to full throttle and then trying to control the engine speed by varying the air flow into the engine. Yes it might work but all sorts of unburnt gas goes up the exhaust as wood (or gas) doesn't fully combust without adequate air. If the stove is run properly by burning small loads during times when full output is not needed there is no need to block the hole. Blocking the hole is basically begging for creosote and lower efficiency operation as the stove is going sub-stoichiometric (not enough air) that cranks out CO, partially burnt gases that can condense in the chimney as creosote and PM 2.5 (a particularly nasty air pollutant). The hole is usually hidden as the manufacturer needs to pass EPA standards and the concept is that its okay to give a consumer some control of air with obvious air controls but ultimately the hidden air hole is there so the stove cannot be put into smoke dragon mode. I think the rational for most owners is that their extra emissions from improper stove operation are hidden and so small that they do not affect the local environment but when everyone does that it start to add up. Talk to folks out west who encounter burn bans when the local atmospheric conditions tend to keep stove emissions down low.

Reactions: spudman99