Tesla Model 3 Parked in Our Garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is Teslas electric SUV or truck , GMS electric SUV or truck? With 75 % of all sales going to SUVs and Trucks now and projected to be 84% of GM sales by 2022,and 90% of Fords sales and for Fiat, a whopping 97% of sales by 2022 how can these companies continue to all but ignore this market today.

Where is Teslas electric SUV or truck , GMS electric SUV or truck? With 75 % of all sales going to SUVs and Trucks now and projected to be 84% of GM sales by 2022,and 90% of Fords sales and for Fiat, a whopping 97% of sales by 2022 how can these companies continue to all but ignore this market today.
Well Tesla has one suv : Model X . Too bad that is crazy expensive. But you are right, legacy auto makers have no desire to make electric suv or truck.

Well Tesla has one suv : Model X . Too bad that is crazy expensive. But you are right, legacy auto makers have no desire to make electric suv or truck.
Actually they do and we will start seeing more all electric SUVs in the near future. The Jaguar iPace, Audi eTron, Hyundai Nexo & Kona, Kia Niro are already out. Volkswagen, & Volvo coming soon along with BMW, Mercedes. Ford now has the Explorer Hybrid but some reviews indicate it's a clunky implementation. They are poised to release an all-electric sporty SUV in 2020. Subaru has a new Crosstek hybrid out and are exploring an all-electric model now.

Last edited:
You can buy a Workhorse W15 now for about $52K. I think this is an update of the VIA truck. It's a hybrid based on Chevy Volt technology mated to a modified Chevy Silverado chassis. Ford is supposed to have both a hybrid and an electric version of the F150 coming up in a year. The Rivian and Tesla truck should arrive about then too.

Wrong. BMW came out with the i series in 2011. Volvo stopped developing ICEs altogether, at least two years ago. Chevy had the Volt, then the popular Bolt. Nissan has the Leaf.
These are sedans. The BMW i3 is not an SUV or truck. It's actually an odd little microcar. They just started selling the i8 but that is more of a roadster with low ground clearance. I think they are a year or two out at least for an electric SUV. First will be the iX3. Word is that it will be manufactured in China, for worldwide sales. Tariffs may make it too expensive here.

These are sedans.

I realized that, after I re-read his post. You’re quoting a post that I think was deleted at least two hours before you quoted it.

Last edited:
No problem, looks like one hour, but evidently my browser had it cached. BMW is working on the iX3, so they will have an answer soon.

Reactions: Ashful
No problem, looks like one hour, but evidently my browser had it cached. BMW is working on the iX3, so they will have an answer soon.
Some amazing EV's out there... but I'm not optimistic about the cost structure, in the next five to ten years. Government subsistence may be a necessary evil to get this tech off the ground, but I don't want my income taxes to pay for every Joe Blow's car from now until I retire. We know they're not great at pulling their hand out of our pocket, once planted.

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2017/04/12/pas-18-hidden-tax-supposed-temporary-1936/100343742/

They are a bit more expensive but the way I see it the maintenance costs are much less, so it averages out. I want to try out the iPace. It doesn't make economic sense right now, but maybe I can pick up one coming off a lease.

There is nothing cartoonish about the IMF report that the article was based on. Externalities are a fact that most often end up being paid by us the taxpayers in an extractive linear economy. They should be accounted for and manufacturers should be paying the bill for them. Yes, that will raise the cost of goods, but it will reduce the hidden costs we all pay for.

We've derailed jebatty's thread for long enough. In the meantime he is enjoying his new fine ride and we all are a little bit envious. I'll create a new thread on EV subsidies for this chatter and I moved the rest to a new EV Myths thread.

Went out to eat last night with our neighbors to a restaurant 14 miles away down the two lane highway. We offered the Tesla Model 3 to both the husband and the wife to drive, the wife balked but the husband jumped at the chance. A simple comment from the husband tells the story: "I really like this car."

Around the middle of last month, I managed to convince my wife to come with me to test drive an off-lease 2016 VW e-Golf. (A car most people don't know exists, the all electric VW Golf) The test drive paperwork I signed clearly said we had "up to 5 miles, and up to 15 minutes" before we needed to have the test car back to the dealer lot. I think I was less than 2 miles into the test drive before my wife said "Let's get one!", and she wasn't even driving!! The instant torque that pushes you back in the seat, the fact that it looks like any other gas or diesel powered VW Golf, the fact that wouldn't break the bank going to an EV, my wife couldn't find a bunch of down sides to the EV concept.

This isn't meant to hijack this thread. It's simply meant to say: if you can convince someone potentially on the fence to try the BEV concept, it's amazing how many skeptics end up with a smile on their face, and say "I really like this!".

I'm still waiting for photos of jebatty's EV's ;) I'm also looking forward to some DCFC's showing up in South Florida. Tesla has superchargers all over South Florida, but I don't seem to find DCFC's showing up on PlugShare or Greenlots.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Around the middle of last month, I managed to convince my wife to come with me to test drive an off-lease 2016 VW e-Golf. (A car most people don't know exists, the all electric VW Golf) The test drive paperwork I signed clearly said we had "up to 5 miles, and up to 15 minutes" before we needed to have the test car back to the dealer lot. I think I was less than 2 miles into the test drive before my wife said "Let's get one!", and she wasn't even driving!! The instant torque that pushes you back in the seat, the fact that it looks like any other gas or diesel powered VW Golf, the fact that wouldn't break the bank going to an EV, my wife couldn't find a bunch of down sides to the EV concept.

This isn't meant to hijack this thread. It's simply meant to say: if you can convince someone potentially on the fence to try the BEV concept, it's amazing how many skeptics end up with a smile on their face, and say "I really like this!".

I'm still waiting for photos of jebatty's EV's ;) I'm also looking forward to some DCFC's showing up in South Florida. Tesla has superchargers all over South Florida, but I don't seem to find DCFC's showing up on PlugShare or Greenlots.

I had no clue VW sold E Golfs in the US.

Volvo also has the Polestar T8 eAWD plug-in hybrid version of their V60 wagon. It looks very nice, I came across it while shopping for a new sports wagon.

Trouble is, the price skips up by almost 50% from the regular gasser, from $46k to $67k. I think it’s going to be a long time before the average Volvo owner is ready to shell out an extra $21k on a $46k car to get hybrid functionality, even if it comes with a nice hp gain.

Reactions: sloeffle
Volvo also has the Polestar T8 eAWD plug-in hybrid version of their V60 wagon. It looks very nice, I came across it while shopping for a new sports wagon.

Trouble is, the price skips up by almost 50% from the regular gasser, from $46k to $67k. I think it’s going to be a long time before the average Volvo owner is ready to shell out an extra $21k on a $46k car to get hybrid functionality, even if it comes with a nice hp gain.

Wow, that's a slick ride though. I really like Volvos, but haven't been paying attention to new cars since 2015 or so when they were changing everything up again.

VW's new ID platform is aimed at lowering the cost of electric cars. They are investing deeply in this new international platform. Hoping they are successful.

VW's new ID platform is aimed at lowering the cost of electric cars. They are investing deeply in this new international platform. Hoping they are successful.

They are putting all of their eggs in the EV/Hybrid basket after this diesel stuff. I wouldn't say "stuff" is accurate, but that's another thread in itself.

I should have said VW's forthcoming MEB platform on which the ID series will be based. This will also be used by Audi, SEAT and Skoda. The VW ID.3 is supposed to go into production in November.

I should have said VW's forthcoming MEB platform on which the ID series will be based. This will also be used by Audi, SEAT and Skoda. The VW ID.3 is supposed to go into production in November.

Everyone uses the MEB. The Auid A3, TT, VW Golf, Beetle, Scirroco, and several Skoda and seat models all use it. VW, along with GM are the most prolific badge engineering companies.

Ironically, Maine is one of the 10 US states VW actually sells e-Golfs in, SpaceBus!! Of course, what that technically means is that one dealer in your state had one in stock for several months now... I contacted the dealer and offered to take that car off their hands, but dealers closer to D.C. were able to offer better enticements. VW marketing has been lackluster in providing any meaningful marketing hype about this model in the 4 years it has been on the market in the US!! I think one particular post to a high traffic website mid-summer probably moved more e-Golf vehicles off dealer lots than anything recently.

Ironically, Maine is one of the 10 US states VW actually sells e-Golfs in, SpaceBus!! Of course, what that technically means is that one dealer in your state had one in stock for several months now... I contacted the dealer and offered to take that car off their hands, but dealers closer to D.C. were able to offer better enticements. VW marketing has been lackluster in providing any meaningful marketing hype about this model in the 4 years it has been on the market in the US!! I think one particular post to a high traffic website mid-summer probably moved more e-Golf vehicles off dealer lots than anything recently.

In that environment, what is your expectation for service and repair? It sounds likely that when you take this thing to a VW dealer for a recall, repair, or service item, it will likely be the first e-Golf that technician or mechanic has ever seen.

... and then what’s the chance they’ll have the part you need in stock, when it comes time for that repair?

My wife really likes VW, especially the MK7 Golf. I mentioned to her the existence of the E Golf in the US and I saw a sparkle in her eye. Unfortunately we haven't built a garage yet, so eventually we will get an EV.

In that environment, what is your expectation for service and repair? It sounds likely that when you take this thing to a VW dealer for a recall, repair, or service item, it will likely be the first e-Golf that technician or mechanic has ever seen.

... and then what’s the chance they’ll have the part you need in stock, when it comes time for that repair?

There aren't any Fiat dealers near us, but there is a Chrysler dealer. My wife's Abarth is the first cabriolet they've ever seen. Parts cost double locally vs online as well. Basically I'm going to become an amateur Fiat mechanic soon. If I could only get some All Data access.

Also, to be fair, VW, Volvo, and even Saabs are very popular here and there are a few independent European car mechanics around.

Reactions: Ashful
I'm going to become an amateur Fiat mechanic soon.

Is your name Tony? [emoji3]

FIAT = Fix It Again, Tony!

I personally always preferred “Failure in Italian Automotive Technology”. I do love some of their cars, though, that Abarth looks hella fun.

It’s okay, you can tell me my car is Mostly Old Parts And Rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.