Tesla Model 3 Parked in Our Garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to topic, has anyone that goes to performance driving events taken a Tesla (acceleration times are just one part of the picture)? How are they at the limits, steering tip in, brake modulation, abs lockup, etc? The biggest fear for me as far as EVs is the visceral feedback given by the car. Even my 8,000 lb Dually truck talks to me.
Yes, there are miles of video of Tesla’s racing Hellcats and other muscle at 1/4 mile tracks on YouTube. The Tesla’s pretty much always win off the line, but usually lose at the finish. Vastly different acceleration curves.

Tesla owns the 1/8 mile track, though. I suspect no production ICE car can take them, there. There is just not enough time on that short track for an ICE to make up for the EV’s blindingly fast 0 - 30 times.

YouTube has several track comparisons with the Tesla to other vehicles on the track. It performs well, though automatic systems can affect things like controlled drift, etc. Still, it's so fast off the line that the general impression is a lot of fun and that fun is a lot cleaner.

Beat the Audi RS7 and tied the Porche 911 Turbo S at the 1/4 mile mark

Not a surprise, begreen. But what’s the MSRP on a typically-configured P100D with Ludicrous package? I suspect that, dollar for dollar, you’d do better comparing to the R8.

I know someone lucky enough to have a P100D as his daily commuter, his sports car is an i8. He went all electric years ago, but has the budget to suffer depreciation on multiple six-figure EV’s.

That "test" from top gear favored the Tesla overwhelmingly because they crafted the test to do so. The BMW would have trounced it on the track if it weren't a standing start, he also did a manual launch which was sub optimal.

In short, Tesla doesn't make a driver's car, but they do make fast cars. I do still want an electric vehicle some day, perhaps they will overcome the current sterile nature.

I'm not into fast cars. However, the Tesla Model 3 AWD is more responsive at every day performance than any ICE car I ever had. And I can't quite agree that the response is slow in the 60+ mph range. Certainly better than I've experienced previously. At least, plenty for me without leaving a desire for more. Heck, the Tesla is our family car, not the car for the track or strip.

What was the charging cost for your trip jebatty?

I'm not into fast cars. However, the Tesla Model 3 AWD is more responsive at every day performance than any ICE car I ever had. And I can't quite agree that the response is slow in the 60+ mph range. Certainly better than I've experienced previously. At least, plenty for me without leaving a desire for more. Heck, the Tesla is our family car, not the car for the track or strip.

I don’t think I said it was slow at 60+, it just doesn’t have the same acceleration as many similarly-prices ICE’s at highway speeds. It’s still a rocket off the line, buddy. [emoji3]

Of course it’s a family car, but it’s still fun to debate, and even more fun to put your foot into it sometimes.

... and even more fun to put your foot into it sometimes.

My wife wanted me to drive the entire Colorado Springs trip. I did not object, graciously and humbly agreeing. Best time ever in a car on a diving trip.

My wife wanted me to drive the entire Colorado Springs trip. I did not object, graciously and humbly agreeing. Best time ever in a car on a diving trip.

Is having a near silent car as amazing as it sounds (no pun intended)?

... of course we are likely to see more of these, with all the silent EVs zooming around...

It's a delightful experience that doesn't get old.

It's a delightful experience that doesn't get old.
I think in a few years, especially with the way battery and electric vehicle technology is improving, we will have a garage and an electric vehicle.

To be honest, the only thing I miss from an ICE vehicle is the ability to blast out heat in icy winter temps. Fortunately we can preheat the car while still plugged in, but that is not always an option away from home.

Reactions: SpaceBus
To be honest, the only thing I miss from an ICE vehicle is the ability to blast out heat in icy winter temps. Fortunately we can preheat the car while still plugged in, but that is not always an option away from home.

I think we will always have our ice vehicles as well. My truck is very useful beyond transportation. I'm really hoping for an electric Jeep Wrangler or small pickup truck in the future. I want something for rough roads, good for camping, cargo capacity, and room for dogs. My Dually is handy for my dogs and picking up heavy stuff, but not fun for around town. We won't be able to have a third vehicle until we build a garage, so it's like a five year plan. I'm interested in seeing how the market changes. Hopefully more charging stations will be common. This vehicle would be primarily used locally, so long distance range isn't even that critical.

Last edited:
That would be a good time to pick up one coming off a lease plan.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I signed up to participate in an EV pilot charging study by our utility. Requires a dedicated meter for charging and use of off-peak charging times, typically between 10 pm and 6 am, but daytime charging is allowed "as needed." Will get a $10/mo credit during the study period and a discounted rate, TBD, following the end of the pilot. The credit is nominal, translating to about 85 kWh/mo at the general service rate. The future discounted rate is the benefit, if it materializes. Current off-peak rates for heating and domestic hot water are about 60% of the general service rate.

The utility says that the purpose of the study is to determine
  • How and when members choose to charge their vehicles.
  • Are dedicated Off-peak charge times acceptable?
  • How much does charging affect home wiring?
  • EVs impact on the electrical distribution system

Saw lots of Teslas on a recent trip to Maine thru parts of Mass,. NH, and Conn. Almost as many Volts ,but not a single Nissan Leaf nor a GM Bolt.

Last edited:
Got stuck behind a Leaf on my way to work on Thursday, the first I'd ever seen one. It is not an attractive car, at least from that angle.

Got stuck behind a Leaf on my way to work on Thursday, the first I'd ever seen one. It is not an attractive car, at least from that angle.
Never was ,from any angle. Now the Tesla Roadster,thats an attractive car.

Reactions: gregbesia

I think after a test drive in a leaf a person would be very motivated to go buy a yearly bus pass. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think after a test drive in a leaf a person would be very motivated to go buy a yearly bus pass. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You must not have spent much time on a city bus ;lol

Never was ,from any angle. Now the Tesla Roadster,thats an attractive car.
The first gen Leaf is common out here. I usually see a few a day at least. The second gen Leaf is a better, more conventional-looking car, It's not a beauty queen, but at least it doesn't look like the offspring of a frog.

2019-nissan-leaf-e-plus-first-drive-capable-competent-226-mile-ev.jpg Nissan-Leaf.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
Went out to eat last night with our neighbors to a restaurant 14 miles away down the two lane highway. We offered the Tesla Model 3 to both the husband and the wife to drive, the wife balked but the husband jumped at the chance. A simple comment from the husband tells the story: "I really like this car."

Went out to eat last night with our neighbors to a restaurant 14 miles away down the two lane highway. We offered the Tesla Model 3 to both the husband and the wife to drive, the wife balked but the husband jumped at the chance. A simple comment from the husband tells the story: "I really like this car."
I wouldnt mind driving one myself ,you got me curious now ,could be on my bucket list in the future. And my garage does have a 220 line.

We also had a 220V (actually 240V) 20A receptacle outlet in the garage. And the garage has been and likely will remain the primary parked location for the Tesla. I bought a plug-in level 2 charger for that line, J1772 plug to the car, charges at 16A, which so far has been entirely adequate for the Tesla with charging during the night. The Tesla has an adapter to allow use of the J1772 plug. If we ever need a faster charge we can move the Tesla to my shop with a Bosch level 2 charger, 240V at 32A, J1772 vehicle plug. In addition to the Bosch, I also installed NEMA 14-50 outlet in the shop on a separate 50A circuit. The Tesla also has an adapter which allows use of a 14-50 outlet. So I can charge simultaneously two BEVs in the shop.

Reactions: gregbesia
Status
Not open for further replies.