System upgrade...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is a joke, right? Call me when it's fixed.

hearth sucks.jpg

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I only get the banner ad...;)

@begreen , can you tell me where to find my watched threads are? I had it bookmarked but that page no longer resolves, and I can't find it in my profile...:mad:
Can you try again? I just regained my bookmarks.

Hope this gets sorted. Shame about the new look and layout...

16 replies with 7 embedded ads each of which has ‘live’ content, flickering away. If it’s gonna flicker, it should be on fire. Otherwise, it just interferes with content.

I wonder what it would cost per year to opt out of advertisements. Seriously...admins, find a way?

I suddenly realize that I’ve aged into a curmudgeon. I’m not at all ashamed of this.

My wife pointed this out to me yesterday

Ironically, Tapatalk is now the only readable version of this forum. At least they limit the ads to one per page, and put them between threads instead of jamming them into the middle of posts.

I think someone just gave hearth management a new idea, flood us with ads to make a few extra pennies, then charge admission to remove them. They can make money coming and going, until everyone useful here is turned off and heads to another popular wood burning forum with many of our other past members.

Getting to many pop up ad's - Bowing out until its fixed.. take care all

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Ironically, Tapatalk is now the only readable version of this forum. At least they limit the ads to one per page, and put them between threads instead of jamming them into the middle of posts.

I think someone just gave hearth management a new idea, flood us with ads to make a few extra pennies, then charge admission to remove them. They can make money coming and going, until everyone useful here is turned off and heads to another popular wood burning forum with many of our other past members.

Forum software was out of maintenance so , no choice in upgrading. Many, many add-ons done by third party developers were not updated, developer not in business anymore, or did not exist for new software. This leaves big holes in how the forum is reacting.

Actually the ad serving software was not compatible with the new forum software. So 6 years of fine tuning were out the window.

Reactions: begreen
My ads seem to have been reduced since I first looked yesterday.

But I notice when I hover over the alert bell at the top right, new alerts don't drop down for clicking like they used to.

Yes mouseover drop downs went away in this version. Developers debated pros and cons and no mouseover won. Looking to see if there is add-on to get back this functionality.

Every time a forum does an update people complain and threaten to leave etc.

There are always some bugs that need worked out and refinements to be made.
Just be patient. Its not like the internet went down or anything! (mine was off all last night.....ugh! Had to use stupid phone with data)
Give it a chance.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Upgrades aren’t fun for anybody...trust me. Give it a little time folks. It takes some time to figure out what is working and what is not (and correct it). It should just get better from here out. But by all means, if you see a glitch, something not working, or any other perceived “problem”, mention it. Many eyes are faster at spotting issues than a single pair.==c

Just wandered into the "newly painted" Hearth site. It's familiar enough that I can still find everything on first try,... so I like it!

What I need help with is the tiny font size of all the text. I see that I can control the text size in this comment box, but how do I increase the font on everything on the page??

PS. using Chrome.

Hope this gets sorted. Shame about the new look and layout...
I just checked and my watched list is showing. It's under the Forums menu item. Is it working for you now?

Just wandered into the "newly painted" Hearth site. It's familiar enough that I can still find everything on first try,... so I like it!

What I need help with is the tiny font size of all the text. I see that I can control the text size in this comment box, but how do I increase the font on everything on the page??

PS. using Chrome.
The font does appear to be displaying a bit smaller. Maybe the programmers chose a different default font? In Chrome, to increase the font size displayed, go to the View menu and select - Zoom In. That will affect all pages, but at least it's a temporary fix.

Reactions: CaptSpiff
Seeing live changes is pretty cool.

Things working well now that the ads are toned back. One suggestion, the avatar symbols for threads are these crazy big rainbow colors that have a letter for the poster's first name. Can that be toned way back? At least for previously "read" posts?

Reactions: Rhodie
I just checked and my watched list is showing. It's under the Forums menu item. Is it working for you now?
Yep, there now.