Super newbie, basic help appreciated!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
To use that as is, you would run single wall pipe from your stove and into the clay thimble. If the inspection reveals no issues, that's all that will need to be done.

If it needs relined, the existing terra-cotta would need to be broken out and an insulated liner put in its place. This part scares many away, as the cost of this can be more than the stove you connect to it.

Yeahhh Iv been researching the cost of relining the bugger...pfwewww. I don’t even wanna know how much it would to have someone bust all that clay out prior to 4-600 dollar stainless liner

400 to 600 for the liner is extremly cheap. I will tell you most liner installs for wood stoves around 20' come in around $2000 from us with breakout.

Lord have mercy :eek: There’s no way I could swing that in my budget right now with everything else Iv got going on in this house. I realize an insulated liner is much better because of the r value and retaining as much heat as possible, for safety reasons and preventing creosote build up, which is a safety thing in itself as well. But let’s say i were to buy the DIY duravent/similar stainless kit and run it myself, no insulation, would I still be safe to burn as long as the terra-cotta is in nice shape?

If the clay liner is inspected and found to be safe, it won't need a liner. You'll just run the single wall into the chimney as it is now, and it will connect to the existing thimble and liner.

Reactions: Defiant
Lord have mercy :eek: There’s no way I could swing that in my budget right now with everything else Iv got going on in this house. I realize an insulated liner is much better because of the r value and retaining as much heat as possible, for safety reasons and preventing creosote build up, which is a safety thing in itself as well. But let’s say i were to buy the DIY duravent/similar stainless kit and run it myself, no insulation, would I still be safe to burn as long as the terra-cotta is in nice shape?
You are getting ahead of yourself have a pro clean it and inspect it with a camera for the condition of the clay and check for clearances from the outside of the masonry structure. Then you can figure out what needs done.

have a pro clean it and inspect it with a camera for the condition of the clay and check for clearances from the outside of the masonry structure. Then you can figure out what needs done.
As bholler has mentioned many times, if you don't have these clearances from the masonry to the house, you are gonna need insulation to meet code.

Lol sorry, I’m excited to get something in here and get to burning. Everything is on hold until the guy comes by Tuesday and checks out my setup. Fingers crossed I get no bad surprises and I’ll go from there. I’ll have him inspect the other chimney (the franklin is on) while he’s here, that way if one works and the other doesn’t I’ll have an option hopefully.

Quick update, chimney was inspected, terra-cotta checked out 100%, chimney man said doesn’t think much was every burnt in this chimney at all, cleaned it out and barely pulled any soot or debris, no cracks or flaking. So we’ve decided on the Englander for the living room ==c! I did find a very nice Fisher grandpa bear in the classifieds here...So here’s my next question. The ol lady wants to remove the Franklin and replace it with something rustic looking but that puts off good heat if we decide to run two stoves for family occasions etc here. I personally am happy with splitting and burning wood for one stove but, happy wife happy life. Are the clearance guidelines the same for all Fishers even with a top flue into lined masonry chimney? Specs say min 30” between back of stove and chimney, but they only show a rear flue setup? Iv got 48”x48” raised slate hearth in the dining room/addition and I don’t think that baby will fit in there, but damn it’s a good deal!

Quick update, chimney was inspected, terra-cotta checked out 100%, chimney man said doesn’t think much was every burnt in this chimney at all, cleaned it out and barely pulled any soot or debris, no cracks or flaking. So we’ve decided on the Englander for the living room ==c! I did find a very nice Fisher grandpa bear in the classifieds here...So here’s my next question. The ol lady wants to remove the Franklin and replace it with something rustic looking but that puts off good heat if we decide to run two stoves for family occasions etc here. I personally am happy with splitting and burning wood for one stove but, happy wife happy life. Are the clearance guidelines the same for all Fishers even with a top flue into lined masonry chimney? Specs say min 30” between back of stove and chimney, but they only show a rear flue setup? Iv got 48”x48” raised slate hearth in the dining room/addition and I don’t think that baby will fit in there, but damn it’s a good deal!
Did they check to see if you have the required clearances to combustibles from the outside of the masonry structure to combustible materials?

Super newbie, basic help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW..... didn't expect that to be that big ;em (I don't hear that very often anymore)

Anyways.....those appear to be to combustible materials. There are code approved methods for cutting down on those clearances.

Yep, he said when the addition was put on they indexed, I believe is how he worded it, the chimney up through the ceiling and surrounding walls with fireboard? and red brick?

WOW..... didn't expect that to be that big ;em (I don't hear that very often anymore)
All fixed. Thanks for posting. Use the thumbnail option for images to reduce display size.

Reactions: HomeinPA
Yep, he said when the addition was put on they indexed, I believe is how he worded it, the chimney up through the ceiling and surrounding walls with fireboard? and red brick?
There are several methods depending on the amount of clearance reduction needed. Here is an article on the topic.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/#post-1987380

And here is the NFPA table on reductions:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/nfpa-wall-clearance-reductions/

I have never heard the term indexed used in reference to a chimney.

All fixed. Thanks for posting. Use the thumbnail option for images to reduce display size.
Yeah, sorry....I'm a little fuzzy on the thumbnail thing in this instance. I just copied it from somewhere and pasted it. It wasn't on my hard drive. Maybe I need to save it somewhere first next time and then add it as a thumbnail.