Such a thing as too big of a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Anyone look at the Woodstock survival stove? Says 6-8 hour burn times. 15-27 k btu’s. It’s probably the cheapest cat stove around. Tiny 1.2 cubic foot box. Says it heats up to a 1000’. $1299 sale price.

I thought about taking the stove with when i move but the house is duel fuel and the wood stove is the second source of heat. How to i figure out how big my current fire box is i did the math and it didn't seem right, my fire box has 4 standard bricks along the sides and back wall and they are 9" tall bricks, its a fisher teddy bear wood stove

I thought about taking the stove with when i move but the house is duel fuel and the wood stove is the second source of heat. How to i figure out how big my current fire box is i did the math and it didn't seem right, my fire box has 4 standard bricks along the sides and back wall and they are 9" tall bricks, its a fisher teddy bear wood stove
Measure the fire box in inches..length x width x height. Divide that number by 1,728 and that will give you cubic feet of your firebox

Measure the fire box in inches..length x width x height. Divide that number by 1,728 and that will give you cubic feet of your firebox

Measuring inside of the bricks, and below the lintel. I.e. how many cubic feet of wood can you fit in there.

It's clear from his initial posts that he's looking at budget stoves. That takes most if not all cat stoves off the table. I saw some new Dutchwest cats at a local shop a few years back, they weren't real pricey...but they aren't high-end stoves, and I don't think they even make 'em any more.
I don't think he's going to have a lot of shoulder season low burning to deal with anyway..he lives just down the road from International Falls, MN. They have about two months of "summer" up there, then it's back into the deep freeze. :oops:
Yep, if he plans to do more air-sealing and insulation, he might get by with a somewhat smaller stove in the long run. In any case, where he lives, he's still gonna need a pretty big stove the vast majority of the time..that's what you have to plan for. And the woods that are common are probably faster-burning species so he'll want a bigger box for that as well. He might be able to get some Sugar (hard) Maple though, I don't know.
Where does he live exactly.When I see the Mn I'm thinking Minnesota.If it is Minnesota I think they have hardwood out there?

Last edited:
It's not going to be meaningful to compare the cubic footage of your old stove to a new re-burn stove other than to know that you can get by with a much smaller firebox in a newer efficient stove.

When I went from my old lakewood(which is in my shop now but used to be in my basement)to my summit, I bet the firebox is half the size in the summit.

Whats considered the top of the firebox top of the bricks or? There is a baffle plate in my stove
Manufacturers play all sorts of trickery, here. But unless you have a top-load door, the lintel (top of doorway) is the max useable height, measured from the floor of the firebox.

Where does he live exactly.When I see the Mn I'm thinking Minnesota.If it is Minnesota I think they have hardwood out there?
Yep, Minnesota...way up north in MN...like a stone's-throw from the Arctic Circle. _g I spent thirty years in WI and if MN is similar, there is a variety of hardwoods in the southern part of the state but up north it's a lot of Pine and Aspen. Now, Sugar Maple is great firewood, as good as Oak, and it ranges pretty far north..that's why I asked. It may be around, but competition for it would probably be intense.

Last edited:
Ive never seen any sugar maple, there is the rare oak tree but usually someone has planted it lol most of the wood i burn is either poplar, spruce, or jackpine, they are plentiful here.