Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It’s super inconsistent. But that’s the average. The stove is now vacant with no coals in it and the stove temp is less than 300 and the blower is running so go figure . I’m going to by pass the sensor anyway

Hide the evidence! Does she walk in and immediately go see if you've been using the stove? To an astute observer it would be very easy to know if it's been on without looking just by the uneven room temps throughout the house. Doubt she's looking THAT closely. Probably just seeing if there are coals.

Hide the evidence! Does she walk in and immediately go see if you've been using the stove? To an astute observer it would be very easy to know if it's been on without looking just by the uneven room temps throughout the house. Doubt she's looking THAT closely. Probably just seeing if there are coals.
There are no coals. It’s scraped clean. She walks by it to get to the bathroom when she gets home and usually just glances at it. Right now temps are pretty consistent in the house in the mid 60s. Right now the only way she would know if she lay her hand in it. But she won’t be home for 2+ hours and should be considerably cooler by then

So yours doesn't have two settings? Mine has always on and the temp disc. I can go between the two with a toggle switch.

No. the temp sensor is inline for power supply. It won’t turn on until a set temp, and same thing with off. But both can be inconsistent. I just have a rheostat to control variable speed blower

No. the temp sensor is inline for power supply. It won’t turn on until a set temp, and same thing with off. But both can be inconsistent. I just have a rheostat to control variable speed blower
Oh man that is extremely annoying. Id hate that. I'm glad you were able to override it. Like I said I utilize the hard on/off switch all the time.

Mine has on/off. You should always turn off the fan on Reloads, My problem is sometimes I forget to turn it back on.

Oh man that is extremely annoying. Id hate that. I'm glad you were able to override it. Like I said I utilize the hard on/off switch all the time.
Yes, it is super annoying. That’s why I bypassed it. There’s also a lot of heat that’s left on the table by shutting off so early.

Got the ever more recurring “it’s cold in here” comments sitting down to eat tonight. No chit, it’s 64 degrees in here (inner thoughts). Also proceeds to tell me that I need to keep the outer door to the outside in the breezeway shut because the cold air is getting into our house…..🙄. No fire going tonight.

Just park her ass in front of the stove a la Clockwork Orange next time she's cold. Maybe she'll see it then.

Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

Thoughts that come to mind are:
''Go light the stove.''
''Put a sweater on.''

Or, as much as it kills ya, turn up the t-stat. Then let her complain about the bill. "Well, you said you were cold,"

Thoughts that come to mind are:
Go light the stove.
Put a sweater on.

Or, as much as it kills ya, turn up the t-stat. Then let her complain about the bill. "Well, you said you were cold,"
I didn’t do a thing. Waiting for her to come out and say it.

Was biting my tongue so hard it could have bled.

She would never see the difference in the bill because we’re on the “budget” plan

Last edited:
She would never see the difference in the bill because we’re on the “budget” plan
SMH....I forgot about that.

You have a bit more patience than I. I'd blurt out, "That's your fault."
My wife knows me. Give me chit and I give it back.

Her stating ''it's cold in here'' is probably telling you to ask her, "Can I light the stove?" Just so she can be warm, and on her terms.
You're doing good. Ride it out and let her feel the difference of no wood heat.

Caw, you have all the right memes.

It's mean that she's trying to trap you into another argument if that's the case.
Hold fast.

Drolet has to cut costs somewhere.

It's mean that she's trying to trap you into another argument if that's the case.
Hold fast.
Which one are you referring to? If I say anything to that comment in regards to the stove, it sure won’t go over well.

she must be cold she turned from 64 to 66 in our bedroom

Which one are you referring to? If I say anything to that comment in regards to the stove, it sure won’t go over well.

she must be cold she turned from 64 to 66 in our bedroom
Referring to her saying its cold and Caw's "It's a trap."

What we all really need:

View attachment 322646
I was out cutting and splitting today, which is always a good time for thinking, and I was remembering back to this conversation. I've got three empty 1-cord bays in my sheds right now, I rarely like to have more than 1 fully emptied, so I'm feeling the pressure of being "behind schedule".

Each day I spend outside processing firewood is a day which I'm skipping other important activities, either with my kids or my business. Being self-employed, I have infinite flexibility, but also infinite ability to waste my time on things that don't make me money. I usually try to reserve wood harvesting and processing for weekends, but that means missing out on things with my kids.

At the same time, I'm trying to process about 14 cords this year and harvest another 10 cords, and doesn't happen without burning some serious hours. Anything I can do to shave some hours off that commitment, whether it be my hot-rodded splitter (now down to 7 seconds), or big-displacement chainsaws in "light saber mode", is in my best interest.

I'm honestly not as fast today as I was 10-15 years ago, the better equipment I have today is more making up for my own aging, than anything else. I'm 50 years old, and processing wood at the same speed I did in my 30's, just using much more expensive equipment.