So disappointed in my Wood this year...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
She actually likes the Ford Raptor... But... then I told her what the Gas mileage was on on it... And she was not having it. I'm going to borrow a trailer from my buddy a few times this coming year. There is some wood around my area, but its odd, i've stopped 3 times this year and each time I got yelled at by the home owner, mind you it didn't even look like it was on their property.

Worse comes to worse, if wood becomes unmanageable in the future, I'll sell my insert and get a pellet one... ;sick;sick

Always best to knock on the door or leave a note with your phone number, before grabbing wood. My experience is that two thirds of the time the homeowner is happy to have it gone, and then the other third is some greedy idiot who thinks they’re sitting on gold.

Guys, I think its a sign... last year the wood I got, I was not impressed with. The first year I got wood from a local guy and it was pretty darn good, and I got it pretty late in the season (Mid-November).

I burned through my 2 cords last year very quickly (and I didnt really think it was that cold of a winter in CT.)

This year I bought 3 cord for around $720. The moisture content in this wood has been off the charts, and a lot of the wood is clearly insect riddled. I am definitely going to have to do a mid-season clean on the liner. The creosote must be pretty dang bad from this wood.

Anyone in CT know of a good wood supplier? I'm just getting fed up with this crap. None of the wood felling companies will drop off wood, and I don't have a truck to pick up road-side stuff. I mean if I'm going to pay $700 for 3 cords, I'm tempted to buy a ton or two of Bio-bricks at around the same cost.

If you're looking for burnable wood this winter, I would definitely just get 2-3 pallets of bio bricks/ energy logs. That would be substantially cheaper (at least around here) than trying to buy kiln dried wood (which probably isn't even seasoned). As you move forward, Ashful was right, you'll need to acquire and stack wood for 2-3 years out. If your wife can't get down with that, maybe just keep buying bio bricks every year? or don't burn wood :(

BKVP has mentioned NEILS compressed wood bricks a few times this year, but searching “NEILS” on Google only leads back to this forum, they seem to not exist elsewhere on Al Gore’s wonderful interweb. Can someone enlighten me on this source?

Don't even have to go that far. The area this guy lives in and myself just got wrecked by tornados in May. But if you don't have a chainsaw and a truck all those logs on the side of the road are hard to scrounge. I got lucky, one fell in my driveway! I didn't have to drive far at all for wood.If you call this lucky
I have two saws but a deer took my truck out a year ago and I haven't got around to getting another.

They're the best if you can get them, if not the bio bricks XL are pretty good.
There's a place in Mendon,Ma.that has them for $399.00 a pallet.The cheapest that I've seen.Their number is 508-473-6610 if your interested.

There's a place in Mendon,Ma.that has them for $399.00 a pallet.The cheapest that I've seen.Their number is 508-473-6610 if your interested.
That is a good price, thanks.
I was going to buy a pallet of the canawick 10 inch blocks but they only had half a pallet left and told me the factory burned down, anyone hear this? Must have been one hell of a fire.

That is a good price, thanks.
I was going to buy a pallet of the canawick 10 inch blocks but they only had half a pallet left and told me the factory burned down, anyone hear this? Must have been one hell of a fire.
Canawick blocks are very good.Northern fence in Saugus,Ma. carries them.

Wow. Lot of CT folk on here. I grew up in "the valley." The Seymour/Oxford folk will know what that means … Housatonic River valley. :)

Canawick blocks are very good.Northern fence in Saugus,Ma. carries them.
I like them just cant get any more. I'll probably get NIEL's.

She actually likes the Ford Raptor... But... then I told her what the Gas mileage was on on it... And she was not having it. I'm going to borrow a trailer from my buddy a few times this coming year. There is some wood around my area, but its odd, i've stopped 3 times this year and each time I got yelled at by the home owner, mind you it didn't even look like it was on their property.

Worse comes to worse, if wood becomes unmanageable in the future, I'll sell my insert and get a pellet one... ;sick;sick

Just keep at it. You’re going through the first year struggles just like a lot of people, including myself. It took my about 3 years to perfect my wood storage, drying time and best ways to move wood from the piles to the insert with the least amount of effort. You will find what works for you. Just make sure you figure out how to season your own wood. Good firewood makes burning very easy and much more pleasant.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
Maybe your too far for the Canawick blocks.Don't worry the NIEL logs a far better.
I was going to get a pallet of each but will probably just get one pallet of NIEL'S, I have plenty of wood but like keeping a higher temp longer with the NIEL's. A few cords of black locust would be better but not much of it around here.

Reactions: Rich L
So funny thing happened. I saw this wood by the side of the road, a little of the road a ways. And I'm not so good at identifying stuff, but I saw the bark and it looked like Ash, so I was like SCORE! Got my buddies trailer and didnt think anything of it. Got there and realized it was all fir... My buddy had his saw and was all excited so I said, "Well we are here... might as well.." Pulled a half cord of it and brought it home...

Next day saw some tree crews cutting. Went back to go get my suv just to pick a few. literally 2 hours later. Wood was gone... GRRR

So funny thing happened. I saw this wood by the side of the road, a little of the road a ways. And I'm not so good at identifying stuff, but I saw the bark and it looked like Ash, so I was like SCORE! Got my buddies trailer and didnt think anything of it. Got there and realized it was all fir... My buddy had his saw and was all excited so I said, "Well we are here... might as well.." Pulled a half cord of it and brought it home...

Next day saw some tree crews cutting. Went back to go get my suv just to pick a few. literally 2 hours later. Wood was gone... GRRR
You gotta be quick in some areas, a couple years ago they did a ton of trimming near my house, by the time I got done work and went to pick any up there was just scraps left. My neighbor was bragging he got 4 cords grrrr. Now I can drive through the small towns of Connecticut and there's wood all over the place rotting (I no longer have a truck), was thinking of borrowing my brothers for a day and picking a couple cords.

What kind of car do you drive?
I haven't had a truck in 7 years, but I scrounge around 6 cords a year with a trailer behind my minivan .

However, if you can't at least stack two years ahead in your property, you will never get to the sweet spot in burning wood

What kind of car do you drive?
I haven't had a truck in 7 years, but I scrounge around 6 cords a year with a trailer behind my minivan .

However, if you can't at least stack two years ahead in your property, you will never get to the sweet spot in burning wood
I can fit plenty of wood on my land. I have a toyota highlander but the stuff I see on the sides if the road are good size pieces, would probably take my brother with me to help.

Wow. Lot of CT folk on here. I grew up in "the valley." The Seymour/Oxford folk will know what that means … Housatonic River valley. :)

When l was a young Manly growing up folks from Derby, Ansonia, etc..., were effectionately refereed to as valley rats. That’s way back when rubber ruled the valley. Dating myself here.

Reactions: coutufr
When l was a young Manly growing up folks from Derby, Ansonia, etc..., were effectionately refereed to as valley rats. That’s way back when rubber ruled the valley. Dating myself here.
That would be a good screen name :)

Reactions: coutufr
Not trying to suggest you are wrong. I agree. You just don't know my wife. She is like super OCD about stuff. My last wood-pile was beautiful, but she couldn't stop touching the bark pile I had because she didnt want people to think that we were messy. Then I moved this wood pile so that no one could see it and cover it. Now she is saying that it takes up too much space.

Trust me I do what I can, but at the end of the day, I have to make her happy too.
Makes me laugh, I have the same issue with the Wife. I have the truck, the saw, the splitter, and the room. The problem is she doesn't want to see it, and the space that allows that is too small, so 3 years out is not working. You guys are probably going to shake your heads, but this summer I ended up giving away 3 pick up truck loads of green wood, all split, all to friends, just to keep the area clean and the Wife happy....and we still argue about the rest that needs to be split and moved....just can't win.:(

I just turned 60 somehow.

I was a junior in high school when the sponge rubber factory fire happened: https://valley.newhavenindependent....ears_Ago_March_1_Shelton_Rubber_Factory_Fire/.

There's an active "I grew up in Shelton" FB page. We were recently discussing the 1985 River Restaurant explosion in Derby: https://valley.newhavenindependent.org/archives/entry/the_river_restaurant_explosion_25_years_later/. A friend was in UConn law school in Hartford at the time and he was just getting ready to leave to drive down to his sister's engagement party that was going to be there that night.

I just turned 60 somehow.

I was a junior in high school when the sponge rubber factory fire happened: https://valley.newhavenindependent....ears_Ago_March_1_Shelton_Rubber_Factory_Fire/.

There's an active "I grew up in Shelton" FB page. We were recently discussing the 1985 River Restaurant explosion in Derby: https://valley.newhavenindependent.org/archives/entry/the_river_restaurant_explosion_25_years_later/. A friend was in UConn law school in Hartford at the time and he was just getting ready to leave to drive down to his sister's engagement party that was going to be there that night.

My family has owned a furniture store in Ansonia for over 100 years and still has a plaque from the high water mark from the flood in 1955.
spectorssign_720_540_88_sha-100.jpg

I was working there when the latex fire happened in 2001.