"Snopocolypse" 2019...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My dad had the complete track/suspension stolen from his years ago while it sat in the driveway on a trailer! Came out one day and it was missing the whole track system.
Having wrenched on a few sleds...that is one energetic and ballsy thief! (assuming the track was taken too...just the suspension is not so hard)

Reactions: laynes69
Having wrenched on a few sleds...that is one energetic and ballsy thief! (assuming the track was taken too...just the suspension is not so hard)

yep, everything was. It was an '89 Jag 440, so nothing new. It was probably stolen late 90's or early 2000's.

It was parked up tight against the garage too! He couldn't believe it.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I'm guessing you guys don't have any snowmobile trail systems?
We have a statewide bicycle/walking trail (rails to trails) system that is almost complete, just 500' away...no motorized vehicles though :(

Last edited:
yep, everything was. It was an '89 Jag 440, so nothing new. It was probably stolen late 90's or early 2000's.

It was parked up tight against the garage too! He couldn't believe it.
I've heard of the same thing with people getting heavy ole 4x4 quads stolen out of the back of their truck, with the tailgate parked right up against something! Sheesh!

I went out around 5:30 to check on the cows and it definitely was a lot windier than what it was earlier in the day. Stepped outside a few minutes ago and it is definitely colder than what it was at 5:30. It looks to be snowing a little bit now too.

My house is 74 ( wife is happy ), so the Caddy is going to wait awhile before it get its next round of Caddy chow.

I still have nightmares of a few years ago feeding in -50 windchills. Nothing, including me, works correctly in those temps.

No idea how much we got but I can now see the neighbors and have a 4’ drift in my entire driveway.

Reactions: sloeffle
Been snowing a couple hours here now. Still -13c, and still supposed to be +9c overnight.

Going to get a fire going & charge everything up with heat soon as coffee is in me.

Been snowing a couple hours here now. Still -13c, and still supposed to be +9c overnight.

Going to get a fire going & charge everything up with heat soon as coffee is in me.

-2f here this morning. Spent two hours with the snow blower. Gonna be real cold for us tonight. Calling for -11f with -25f wind chill.

They say we got about 8"...with 2-3" more today coming from "lake effect snow" from Lake Erie...we are usually too far south to get this, but apparently 30 MPH winds (with 40 MPH gusts) are blowing it down to us too!
Plenty of drifting...most of NEO is under level 2 snow emergency...Lorain county is under level 3.
Was 15* at 6AM, 18* now...dropping throughout the day.
Gotta go in and plow the roads/lot off at work later this afternoon...not sure that's the smartest idea until the snow/wind is over...but its what they want so I guess I'll take their OT money ::-)
Doesn't really need to be clear until 7AM Tuesday morning (MLK Day) IMO, but with the cold weather coming, maybe getting it cleaned off before it freezes into a solid block is the right thing to do...I dunno.

These rain-snow events are always a tough call on when & how to plow.

Sometimes you end up with bare ground, sometimes you end up with some scaley ice that isn't too bad - sometimes you end up with a few inches of solid slippery pure ice.

I'm hoping this one will be right so we don't need to do anything. At least until sometime tomorrow.

Time to light up...

Reactions: JRHAWK9
We got hammered, and it's still coming. My wife had to work this morning at the local hospital, if she didn't have her SUV and AWD, she would've never made it. Most of the roads at 5:30 this morning were well drifted over, even state routes. Haven't seen this much snow in a while. On a positive note, I woke up to a 73 degree house with the low teens out and the wind beating the snots out of us after 8 hours, I could've probably went another hour, but I put a small load in the furnace. The wind is beating us in a different direction today....time to find more leaks!

Wife had a shift on the ambulance last night. Just finished the barn yard with the skid loader and went and picked her up in town. Her SUV would have never made it back to the house. I had to back out and adjust routes three times in a 3/4 ton RAM with a lift on it. I bet we didn’t get 6-7 inches but those winds were brutal. My entire drive was a 4’ drift.

Still snowing here. Also wondering when to clean up. Sleeting several miles south. Hoping it stays cold. Right now I would describe conditions as CLEAR and STILL, meaning CLEAR up to your a$$ and STILL SNOWING.

Nw corner of ct., currently 28 (wc 19) maybe 5 inches snow last night before change over, started as rain but changed to sleet after 4am, claims to be over by 7pm then turning colder.
I forgot how insulating snow can be, house is 73, odr target is 126, hopefully it will help tonight.

We got 14" overnight and its still coming down , but lighter. We will end up about 16" , so at 3 PM, I 'll fire up the blower and tractor to clear the 1/4 mile driveway
. 0904161800.jpg Stereo , heat, dual beer holders , I'll have a ball and help out the neighbors a bit. Back inside , time for the football games.

We got 14" overnight and its still coming down , but lighter. We will end up about 16" , so at 3 PM, I 'll fire up the blower and tractor to clear the 1/4 mile driveway
.View attachment 238694 Stereo , heat, dual beer holders , I'll have a ball and help out the neighbors a bit. Back inside , time for the football games.

I don't know man, are you sure you have a big enough blower to do the job....looks a bit iffy. ;lol ;)

We just got in from doing some things outside too. I was out yesterday and spent a handful of hours bucking up and hauling away more wood. Nice thing about making wood, it keeps you warm at least twice during the whole process! ;lol

Our dogs like being outside in the snow/cold as well. They tear around and stick their muzzles in the snow as they are playing in it.

I don't know man, are you sure you have a big enough blower to do the job....looks a bit iffy. ;lol ;)
8 1/2' wide fits the driveway well, a pass down and back , up around the barn, and a little clean up , done in about an hr. The neighbors really appreciate it . Especially with this much snow and 4F. Amish neighbor across the street has a 16 ft band mill, so we trade favors back and forth .

Still haven't gotten much snow this year but got a little dump last night. Was doing a bit of clearing today at our farm yards.

Attachments

• 20190128_123236.jpg
    20190128_123236.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 131