Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not quite a “shed” but yesterday I started in on filling the wood pile back up for this coming fall.
Show Us Your Wood Shed

7-8 more 2 cord loads like that and I think it’ll about be full !!
Show Us Your Wood Shed

Reactions: FTG-05
I wish I had room for that much wood! Thats great that you do, and you use it.

I still use dog tags on the new sheds, the only real way to keep track with my bad memory. Now I have teacup hooks on the soffit of each shed bay, and just hang the tags from those:

View attachment 327655 View attachment 327658

Another observation: I end up going total Tetris on filling these sheds, stuffing the top splits up into the rafters, and tight up against the soffit. These photos were taken in fall 2023, so after 4 years of drying, and you can see how much the stack height decreased due primarily to loss of moisture. Just eyeballing, the stack dropped maybe 8". I don't remember exact height of stack, it gets deeper as you go back, but maybe 6' 8" at soffit.
Now you have me wanting to measure a fresh cut split with calipers and then measure it again in a year.

Reactions: bigealta
Yeah it's definitely a Costanza in the Pool deal with the "Shrinkage"

Reactions: BillBurns
Show Us Your Wood Shed

We put the last few screws in this one today. The storage area is 24'x8' so she can hold nine cords. The plan is to burn three cords (one bay) per year and have the other two bays seasoning.

My kids (12 and 10) and I put her up in two weekends. I designed it around standard lumber sizes so the build required very few cuts. I ordered custom roof trusses from Menards and got those along with the lumber, roofing and hardware in one delivery.

This thread provided most of my inspiration so thank you to everyone who posted pictures and comments.

View attachment 327825
We put the last few screws in this one today. The storage area is 24'x8' so she can hold nine cords. The plan is to burn three cords (one bay) per year and have the other two bays seasoning.

My kids (12 and 10) and I put her up in two weekends. I designed it around standard lumber sizes so the build required very few cuts. I ordered custom roof trusses from Menards and got those along with the lumber, roofing and hardware in one delivery.

This thread provided most of my inspiration so thank you to everyone who posted pictures and comments.
Nice job. Looks good and the clear roof is a bonus.

Reactions: FTG-05
View attachment 327825

I love the access from both sides that's handy with sheds that deep.

Reactions: FTG-05 and Ashful
Really nice! Do you have additional supports under the floor pieces? It’s hard to tell how long those spans are. Would love to see some dimensions and/or close-up pics if you have time.

Edit to add: sorry, obviously they are 8 feet long from the dimensions you posted - but still curious about whether they have/need more support along that length.

What a fine woodshed with a great open design, rugged build and ability to hold three years of wood to boot. Looks like a winner. I was thinking angle bracing would guarantee against racking but once a bay is filled that should be more than covered.

View attachment 259945

Almost 75 ft long, 8 bins that hold 1.5 cords of wood each. Top covered with tin roofing material. Flooring is oak pallets.

Building it was very easy. 6 ft long ground timbers as the posts and 2x4's as the dividers and to hold the wood up in the back. The ground timbers are put into 6x6/4x4 concrete deck blocks from Menards and its all held together with 3" long wood nails:

I also have extra oak pallets in the yard for storage and two 8 ft long metal racks with covers.
Sorry, can’t figure out how to get this duplicate out! I wish i had don 75’, mine is only 48x6 (50x8 roof). I stole the idea from a guy named MotorSeven off of tractorbynet but modified it. I had to do the everything alone (first pic) and as you can see I overkilled it. Did it during Covid so entire project was around $900 (ugh, half that was roof and concrete blocks (52)) all lumber was rough-cut green hemlock from the Amish (4x4 posts, 2x8x8 rafters and joists, 5/4 x3x6’ floor and side boards. Originally I had only 28 blocks (1 per post) but doubled them up due to my paranoia over a the possibility of putting in 8-10,000 lbs of GREEN hickory or locust!
Show Us Your Wood Shed

Show Us Your Wood Shed

Show Us Your Wood Shed

Show Us Your Wood Shed

Show Us Your Wood Shed

Show Us Your Wood Shed

very nice.
I would loose the slats at the back though; if you burn one bay only halfway through in one season, you can fill the front back up and start burning from the back next winter.

Excellent point, I never considered that. Like I said, I was thinking about structural issues. I burn 3 sections a year (4.5 cord) and stack about five 1+ cord rows to the right (south facing) and then rotate that wood after 1-2 years into the shed! I had a CB 5036, 18 years no leaks, I GOT LUCKY. But these new gasifiers like DRY wood and I have a lot of elm (30%) and apple (10%) of my wood and even after 3-4 years they’re still pushing 20% MC! I only fill the bays with 3 x 18” rows. A 4th row would give me 2.25 cords per but multiply the issue you stated and slow seasoning! I had the space, but not the $, I should hace gone 72’ (9 bays) 😔

Could you add a angled bracing piece in the middle between two stacks to avoid swaying from left to right (as seen from the bottom pic).

Just like the angled pieces you have in the side walls that prevent swaying front to back.. That would make it harder to move through the bays, but having access from both sides then would make that issue moot.

Anyway, great shed, and good (dry wood) practice :)
Dollars might come later to allow expanding to 9 bays :)

Who knows, I (someday) may remove the back slats and put in one diagonal brace alternating directions every bay. I can only get to the back with a wheelbarrow as I wanted to maintain the 20’ x 70’ space of limestone bedrock in front for loading/unloading with the Ranger. Got lucky in that the tail gate clears the deck (16-18”) backing in. First pic us where the new shed is and where I wrestled with 4-6 40’ tarp covered/ice encrusted rows, NO MORE! Middle pic is my original 8x8x6 shed (all recycled material minus 6 pt 4x4s) next to old CB, new shed is across road (150’) and I just transfer wood when I’m low or bored. Oh, new shed material was bought pre Covid, and was closer to $1k, I forgot I had to buy about $100 in joist hangers which were cheaper than doing cross beams and purlings. During/after Covid even the Amish raised their prices, but still (CNY anyway) about 1/3 of Lowes prices.

Show Us Your Wood Shed

Show Us Your Wood Shed

Show Us Your Wood Shed

Reactions: stoveliker
Thinking that huge wall is blocking a lot of drying winds. Probably contributing to the slower seasoning.

Or it reverses winds coming from the front to the back of the stack. And it'll radiate heat long after the sun is gone. I think it'll be fine.

Thinking that huge wall is blocking a lot of drying winds. Probably contributing to the slower seasoning.
Believe it or not there is a large creek and waterfall 30’ to the right of the woodshed (1st pic) and the winds west/east along that creek are on average 10-20 mph higher (when there are winds) than my neighbors 1/4 mile away. 2nd pic is looking a falls from in front if shed. I don’t understand why, but a friend of mine who retired from the USGS told me that that hill and the creek flowing through it create a funnel (higher wind effect). But yeah, an open field would be better! However, that wall does block all morning sun until 11am winter, 9am summer; but I get full mid-day to sunset sun with zero ground moisture. And YES, all that rock radiates a lot of heat (spring, summer, fall), not something I planned, just stupid luck!
My cherry is at 10% at 4 months, and my hickory at 15-19%, but that darn elm (pic 2) and apple are a bear! And black locust will burn green, but I’m leaving that alone for lumber and the maple for possible sugaring.

Show Us Your Wood Shed

Show Us Your Wood Shed

Dang, 10% in 4 months.😍
Is that on a freshly exposed surface of a resplit piece?

Dang, 10% in 4 months.😍
Is that on a freshly exposed surface of a resplit piece?
Yup, maybe 12-15% on inside. Fastest drying hardwood (that’s worth anything) on my property. Burns great but in my experience doesn’t coal well, and I end up using a lot more. My absolute favorite hands down is my black locust, but as I said I’m trying to keep that for lumber, and number two my hickory, but unfortunately that’s probably only 5% of my hardwoods. I’ve had elm CSS for 4 years in the sun, cut it in half and STILL 20%! And I’m loaded with it! Ugh. Oh, a LOT of my black cherry that I cut is VERY LARGE (24-30”) and dying, NOT DEAD, but dying so I’m not sure if that affects the MC. And I mostly cut May through October, I’m too old to be slipping in the snow with a chainsaw running😂