Road trip camping with a large family

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

So here the question how would do a long camping road trip with a big family.

• Build my own custom trailer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
But you only *need* the seating plus cargo when you go on vacation.
You have enough seating now - tho without the cargo?

Why spend $75k on something that you need two weeks a year when you have something that works (minivan+trailer).
You can use the van many more.times per year making that investment much more useful than something you only need 4% of the time.

And if you feel the trailer sucks, imagine how often you can rent something for 75k$....

That's my (European) view of your line of thinking...

Reactions: begreen
But you only *need* the seating plus cargo when you go on vacation.
You have enough seating now - tho without the cargo?

Why spend $75k on something that you need two weeks a year when you have something that works (minivan+trailer).
You can use the van many more.times per year making that investment much more useful than something you only need 4% of the time.

And if you feel the trailer sucks, imagine how often you can rent something for 75k$....

That's my (European) view of your line of thinking...
That was my view until the ride home thinking what would need for a 4 week trip. long road trips while camping you can basically live out of your car for 2-3 days if you want to make lots of miles. 5 growing kids will need more space. Kids were way too cramped. It was a good afternoon of Tetris. Trailer would help. But I would want bikes and gear in there. Realistically you can’t tow at max capacity with the van loaded full of people. Didnthe math I could get 800 pounds of people two hundred pounds of cargo and 100-200 pounds of tongue weight (10% of the trailer weight) and be ok (if the trailer had brakes). That would be with in the capacity of most 3.5L mini vans (Toyota hybrid is out at this point) 6000 miles at those limits would require an oil change mid trip and an transmission flush every other year. It’s just pushing it hard.

I went to bed thinking the Sprinter was the right choice. A bit panicked about the price. Woke up feeling slightly less panicked. My sister just bought a new Outback and a teardrop camper. She’s happy with that purchase. She has No regrets. It’s a luxury for both of us. Fortunate we have to make “tough” decisions like this. The Sprinter is here and available. More options than I’d choose but the only silly one is the navigation system. It’s basically fully optioned for a passenger van. And yeah it’s it’s over 75k.

Unless something really changes we will be bringing it home next week!

Reactions: stoveliker
The good thing is that if well cared for, they hold their value reasonably well if sold a few years from now, unless gas prices suddenly go up a lot.

The good thing is that if well cared for, they hold their value reasonably well if sold a few years from now, unless gas prices suddenly go up a lot.
So part of the reason we chose high roof is the possibility of a camper conversion down the road. I don’t see the getting more than 8k miles a year. I’m hopeful it will last us 15 and beyond. Youngest will be 17!

Interesting fact it’s built in Düsseldorf. They are pushing over 300 ft pounds from a 2L. No way I will adhere to the 20k mile oil change interval. That’s just stupid.

Is this diesel or gas? Out here diesel often costs more than premium gas.

Is this diesel or gas? Out here diesel often costs more than premium gas.
Diesel is the only option for new Sprinters. They had a 2L gas option up to 2023. Not sure it was even available on the AWD. It was 188 HP. Saw a RWD drive 12 passenger high roof with the gas motor but did not drive it.

Who knows, you may find short trips to places like the Smokies a good thing for 3 day weekends!

Who knows, you may find short trips to places like the Smokies a good thing for 3 day weekends!
Hopefully we will. My dream is to keep everything organized and packed away in the attic in a way that you could load all the gear in an hour or two. I’m hoping I can build a rack in the van that hold the 20 gallon Costco tubs so I don’t have to unload everything each time.

It’s not a short trip across the state. About 400 miles! Figure 7.5 hours for us on a good day. NC is a big state. Planning something this fall.

I keep everything in totes, then upload into the truck when needed. Even small stuff like dishwashing soap in a small container gets packed away.

Reactions: EbS-P
Same here. I can be packed and ready to go in 10-30 minutes depending on how many are coming along.

Same here. I can be packed and ready to go in 10-30 minutes depending on how many are coming along.
That’s my dream! Packing for 7 I probably need to at a zero to your time.