Road trip camping with a large family

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

So here the question how would do a long camping road trip with a big family.

• Build my own custom trailer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So my wife has two, almost 3 one woman shows that she should start touring mostly to other universities. They could have wider appeal if marketed well. I’m sure there will some university stops that the trip gets planned around. College tours or not.

The used transit market has become much more populated the last 5-6 weeks. 40-45k can get a 4 year passenger van with under 65k miles. Since ford changed the the eco boost and the dual port injection V6 to both having a displacement of 3.5L it’s more difficult to determine what engine they have. I really think for the weight and possibility of towing I want the eco boost.

That said the sprinter diesel went from a 3L v6 to 2L i4 last year. All reviews say the 2L is superior but. Do I want to tow with a 2L?

You can quickly tell which engine by the VIN. There should be a different letter designation with the engine.

If both engines had the same torque curve they would probably feel the same for the short term.

Long term, increased pressures and work required to move the weight are bound to wear things faster. But this is only going to become an issue with higher use vehicles. Short term I don’t think you’d see a difference. The boost will probably make the 4 louder.

I’m not sure how many of the boosted 4s in full size trucks will still be around in 15 years. But the guys driving the 2-3 year old ones now are probably pretty happy with them.

You can quickly tell which engine by the VIN. There should be a different letter designation with the engine.

If both engines had the same torque curve they would probably feel the same for the short term.

Long term, increased pressures and work required to move the weight are bound to wear things faster. But this is only going to become an issue with higher use vehicles. Short term I don’t think you’d see a difference. The boost will probably make the 4 louder.

I’m not sure how many of the boosted 4s in full size trucks will still be around in 15 years. But the guys driving the 2-3 year old ones now are probably pretty happy with them.
Agreed...more boost (power) means less life, it's just a fact. No replacement for displacement.
Now that's not to say you simply always go for the bigger engine...some engine models are still better than others...