Repair advice on a Fisher stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

mjpowersjr

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2024
Maryland
Hello!
I'm new here, but it looks like I stumbled upon a awesome community :)

We have a old Fisher wood stove (I think it's a papa bear...but I'm just starting down the rabbit hole). If I had to guess, it may have been manufactured in PA in the late 60s / early 70s.

After having the chimney inspected, we discovered the flange that connects the chimney to the stove is rusted out. I'd like to find someone that can repair the stove if possible. I've spoken to a few welders, but I'd like to find someone that specifically has experience working on old stoves if possible. We are located in Western MD, but I have the ability to transport the stove.

I've attached a few pictures - if anyone see's any other issues that need to be addressed, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!
Mike

[Hearth.com] Repair advice on a Fisher stove

Reactions: GG Woody
Hello!
I'm new here, but it looks like I stumbled upon a awesome community :)

We have a old Fisher wood stove (I think it's a papa bear...but I'm just starting down the rabbit hole). If I had to guess, it may have been manufactured in PA in the late 60s / early 70s.

After having the chimney inspected, we discovered the flange that connects the chimney to the stove is rusted out. I'd like to find someone that can repair the stove if possible. I've spoken to a few welders, but I'd like to find someone that specifically has experience working on old stoves if possible. We are located in Western MD, but I have the ability to transport the stove.

I've attached a few pictures - if anyone see's any other issues that need to be addressed, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!
Mike

View attachment 329901

View attachment 329902

View attachment 329903

View attachment 329904

View attachment 329905

View attachment 329906
Any welder should be able to do it. It's just plate steel. You are also severely lacking in hearth protection

Reactions: Itslay90
75 or 76 Mama Bear.

If made in PA there will be a PA### welded on bottom. The lack of taper of legs at bottom does not appear to be a PA stove.

Maryland and Delaware licensee was Fisher Stoves 136 Outer Loop Rd. Louisville, Kentucky.

Make sure the new outlet extends into firebox the same amount.

This pipe was the older thin wall that measures 6 inch OD. (and why it rusted through) Pipe made for this purpose today is 6 inch ID to fit connector pipe with thicker wall. 1/4 inch is the same as stove. The opening will need to be ground larger to fit.

Left hand vent with a right hand door. Interesting.

Put the stove top fan at the rear blowing forward to get cooler air over the top half of fan, not drawing hot air off the stove. It works on the principal of hot bottom, cooler top. And overheats the fan motor.

Since floor protection is lacking, entire venting system needs inspecting.

Reactions: clancey
Thanks for taking the time to respond. By hearth protection, are you referring to the size of the pad that the stove sits on?
Yes. Also most likely not enough r value either