Question about over sized flues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lord Preston

Dec 21, 2013
Northern Ontario
Hi, I am looking into a used Drolet Austral (1st generation) for a garage I am building.. I am aware of the concerns of having a wood stove in a garage but am prepared to deal with that risk.. In any case, this stove has a 6" chimney collar, and I currently have a bunch of 7" inside diameter insulated chimney pieces. I was wondering if anyone thinks I may have draft issues over sizing the chimney by 1" from the stove pipe collar coming out of the stove by way of a reducer/expander where the stove pipe meets the chimney? I believe it is an EPA stove. Also does this stove seem maybe too big for a garage (22ftx26ft)?? The specs on this stove are good for much more area than my garage is, however I dont plan on heating constantly.. maybe weekends and/or whenever I need to do some work.. It gets pretty cold in these parts.. anywhere from -15C to -40C throughout the winter.. Garage will be insulated..

garage I am building

New build. Put in a new 6" system. Most stove models today use it. Eliminate a potential future question as to why your stove is not performing well. Also install it so you are able to select a different stove in the future that may require larger clearance. A few thoughts to at least consider.

1Inch shouldnt make any difference at all, especially if its insulated.

1Inch shouldnt make any difference at all, especially if its insulated.
I agree with this, especially when it’s in a cold climate which helps with draft

I guess I could try it and if it doesent work then swap out for a 6" insulated chimney..
I have an englander NC-30 piped into a 12x12 uninsulated chimney and it pulls draft like a freight train if that eases your mind any. Im not recommending that but just to illustrate the point. Only way it could possibly matter at all is if your flue system is very short.

I think this sort of thing has been discussed on here before. Your case doesn't sound dramatically oversized, but you might have to work harder to get the chimney up to temperature for a good draft, then you might have too much draft once it does get going. Consider adding a key damper in the chimney above the stove before ripping out and replacing the whole works if you're getting too much draft.