Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's not good to transport firewood over long distances for several reasons. Use what is available locally. Some of the coldest places only have softwoods to burn and they have been doing it for centuries.

Reactions: Alpine1
No problems burning pine or any other species in any stove regardless stove in use any wood species can be burn in it. BK is good doing this due to the control over the burn with the thermostatically control feature. If that's what you have access to and it is cheaper, go for it. No problems with full loads at any time. You control the burn rate real well with this stove.
It is more important to burn seasoned wood than going by species.

Yeah agreed regarding the seasoning vs species. Just figured since I was down there I’d get a little bit and see if the all the hipe is worth it. Perhaps I’ll muster up some courage and go after some of the mountain mohagony around my area.

Reactions: lsucet
I burn spruce and pine almost exclusively, and never had problems doing this. In the coldest part of winter my ashford requires 2 full loads per day (exactly 12 hours between loads) and this fits well with my schedule. Tried hardwoods and the burn time stretches to about 18 hours between reloads, not practical... add to this that my pine and spruce are for free, while hardwood is not and there you have it: pine forever!

Where are you located/what are your coldest temps like?

Eastern Alps in Italy. The little village I live in is at 1200 meters above sea level (for my American friends 3900 ft) but it’s not a very cold place; we seldom reach -20C (-5F) during the coldest nights but the temps are below zero (C) both night and day for literally months. Up here we can harvest mostly Norway spruce and silver fir, with some scots or black pine mixed in. All for nearly free (13€/15USD per year). Hardwoods (red oak, beech, black locust) must be paid (250€/280USD per cord).

Reactions: SeanBB and lsucet
If it's seasoned then burn it. I burn pine because I have an over abundance of it. It burns hot and fast plus it spits at you. The only down fall with pine is that you don't get a lot of BTU's with it or coals.