Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
Picked up 2 truckloads of pine today. Free of course. Nobody wants it.
upload_2019-3-23_14-52-40.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good. More for us :)

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
The only thing we use pine for is campfire wood
So you guys are welcome to it

Don’t burn that pine!!!! If you do your family will stop talking to you your dog will run off with the neighbors cat and worst of all your friends will come over and drink all your beer.!!!

Yup ALL the beer.

Nobody wants it because it is crappy firewood.

Reactions: bholler
You still need wood???? I may have some oak rounds i may want to get rid of.. all oak all cut to 18in..
You can send some my way...lol.

Sent from my Mobile Interwebbery Thingy

How long does it take pine to season, I have one I'm eyeing for shoulder season?

Sure John, just let me know.

Im going to bring some more to my house this week.. ill see how much i have left.. im going to give some to my neighbor .. hes out of wood..ill see what i have left..

I have a lot of pine on my property, A LOT. Between downed branches and the monster tree that fell across our driveway two years ago, I got so much of it. I mix in several splits of pine with each handful that I bring in the house along with hardwoods. If it's dry it burns hot and can motivate the denser woods to catch a good fire if they're in the stove together.

I have a lot of pine on my property, A LOT. Between downed branches and the monster tree that fell across our driveway two years ago, I got so much of it. I mix in several splits of pine with each handful that I bring in the house along with hardwoods. If it's dry it burns hot and can motivate the denser woods to catch a good fire if they're in the stove together.
I get a lot of pine as well as poplarand do the same. I het the best results with a mix of woods in my stove.

Sent from my Mobile Interwebbery Thingy

How long does it take pine to season, I have one I'm eyeing for shoulder season?

Top covered with good air flow, six months to a year depending on your climate.

I have some that i'm using a little after 6 months. Stuff is bone dry(laughable how light it is to pick up)

It's good to use to get a fire started as it will burn quickly and hot.

I’m able to get a 9 hr burn on scotch/white pine, 70 percent of my stack is pine, I had 8 big pines standing dead along the driveway, so already ready to burn and easy to gather.

I've been a proponent of burning pine, and would not give it a thought in a wood stove. That being said, since I cook in my masonry heater's oven with some regularity, I don't go out of my way for pine. It does give off a black resin that is not all that agreeable if food is exposed to it. Again, I wouldn't give it a thought in the stove, however, separating wood isn't a favorite past time of mine, so I'm not going to go out of my way to cut up pine--which is fine, since I think I only have a couple of them on my property at this point. Hemlock doesn't give me any problems in the oven though.

OAk's no good, it takes far too long to season. Ain't nobody's got time fo dat.
I typically get oak below 20% in a year. I typically don't bother with pine because it takes the same effort for less btus

Reactions: Grizzerbear