Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't have access to an unlimited wood supply. So, I take what I can get within a reasonable driving distance. This Pine was only 7 minutes one way.
In that case yes of course I would take it.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
OAk's no good, it takes far too long to season. Ain't nobody's got time fo dat.
Oak I want when the Temp here is -40::C or better and a 30 K wind for 2 weeks at a time
Pine just would not cut it . You guys can have all the soft wood you want only Hard Wood
For Me

OAk's no good, it takes far too long to season. Ain't nobody's got time fo dat.

Not exactly sure what you've been smoking or if you've hit your head recently but oaks one of the best woods to burn and the majority of the species rank high on the BTU chart.. seasons in 18 months .. whats not to like..

I think billb was making a joke about oak.

Y'all boys burn what you want, I have access to all kinds of pine. Here in the NC mountains I frequently see piles of it next to the street, people had a tree job done, and hope the county will take it away.
Too few btus for me I don't mess with it.

Reactions: Allagash350
I think billb was making a joke about oak.

Y'all boys burn what you want, I have access to all kinds of pine. Here in the NC mountains I frequently see piles of it next to the street, people had a tree job done, and hope the county will take it away.
Too few btus for me I don't mess with it.
Well, unlike many of you on this forum, I do not have acres and acres of wooded property. I am on 1/3 acre just on the Jersey side of the Delaware River. We have 2 Beeches left in our back yard and 2 Red Oaks in our front yard. We had 4 Oaks removed as they were infected by a deadly fungus. This means that if I don't want to buy wood, I have to scrounge, so I take whatever I can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlbergSteve
Well, unlike many of you on this forum, I do not have acres and acres of wooded property. I am on 1/3 acre just on the Jersey side of the Delaware River. We have 2 Birches left in our back yard and 2 Red Oaks in our front yard. We had 4 Oaks removed as they were infected by a deadly fungus. This means that if I don't want to buy wood, I have to scrounge, so I take whatever I can get.

Im on the scrounge.. i like it. Im roughly at 20 cords now.. just keep hunting for it.. once you get your stash up you can be more selective

What are you guys getting for a burn time with pine?

I understand that it's stove dependent, but I'm curious.

I have a 3.2cf firebox and I'm maintaining a good heat just above 400 for about 7 hours with white pine only. I'm not stacking it full by any stretch.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
White pine is ready in 6 months for me.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Not exactly sure what you've been smoking or if you've hit your head recently but oaks one of the best woods to burn and the majority of the species rank high on the BTU chart.. seasons in 18 months .. whats not to like..

[/bon mot]

Oak I want when the Temp here is -40::C or better and a 30 K wind for 2 weeks at a time
Pine just would not cut it . You guys can have all the soft wood you want only Hard Wood
For Me

We have shoulder seasons unfortunately. Often all we need is a quick burn of pine or two in the morning or/and maybe again at supper time in the Spring and Fall. It's also great for getting the stove up to temp again in the morning to throw maple on top of in a bit and also to burn on top of a big bed of hardwood coals so as to still be pumping out some heat while the coals cook down.
Not wasting valuable hardwood when softwood will suffice. Frugal Yankee using resources wisely.

Reactions: trguitar
I like burning pine and poplar just because I get a quick fire going that heats up the house .
I might throw a couple pieces in first thing when I get up to take the chill out. Then before I leave for work load it with hard woods.
Also in the evenings I might put some in because it burns out quicker so I can load the stove with hardwood before bed without having to stay up till 11 for it to die down.
I took down 7 pines so I may as well burn it, never had an issue

I'm not sure why you are insulting other wood burning members, but Oak takes a long time to season, not everyone has the storage capacity or space to accommodate that time. I'd love to have a woodshed full of seasoned Oak, but I don't have the time or storage area to do so.

I love white pine. For me it's perfect when the temp is above freezing. I can get 13+ hours on one load of pine in this case. I even go overnight with it. I just picked up about 2 cords of it. Seasons in one summer, and great when temps are above freezing.

I love white pine. For me it's perfect when the temp is above freezing. I can get 13+ hours on one load of pine in this case. I even go overnight with it. I just picked up about 2 cords of it. Seasons in one summer, and great when temps are above freezing.

What kind of stove do you have?

It's in my signature. Woodstock Progress Hybrid. Best wood stove on the planet! (ducks... ;))

Well, unlike many of you on this forum, I do not have acres and acres of wooded property. I am on 1/3 acre just on the Jersey side of the Delaware River. We have 2 Beeches left in our back yard and 2 Red Oaks in our front yard. We had 4 Oaks removed as they were infected by a deadly fungus. This means that if I don't want to buy wood, I have to scrounge, so I take whatever I can get.

Nuthing wrong wit scrounging. I got land but if I can get wood for free then heck yea I'm gunna take it. I'm not against burning pine just dont have any near my area except yard trees. I have burned some over the years and it is great for shoulder season. Oak is better obviously but if it's free or all u can get.....burn it. A fire is better than no fire basically

I don't have access to an unlimited wood supply. So, I take what I can get within a reasonable driving distance. This Pine was only 7 minutes one way.

I’m with you on this. I don’t have land to harvest and live in a suburban area. I have managed to heat our modest home with wood for 35 years, only purchasing wood twice in all that time. Mainly scavenging with my pickup, power line trimmings being the main stay, as well as neighbors having trees taken down, people running local adds and the like. I have burned a fair amount of pine over the years. It’s wood and it works. I’m in no position to be a wood elitist. My Jotul 3cb handles anything I send her way and makes beautiful fire with it. Just today I picked up about a cord of pine rounds from my next door neighbor. It saved him a few bucks on the tree takedowns and I got the wood, albeit pretty crappy even for pine, standing dead.

I’m with you on this. I don’t have land to harvest and live in a suburban area. I have managed to heat our modest home with wood for 35 years, only purchasing wood twice in all that time. Mainly scavenging with my pickup, power line trimmings being the main stay, as well as neighbors having trees taken down, people running local adds and the like. I have burned a fair amount of pine over the years. It’s wood and it works. I’m in no position to be a wood elitist. My Jotul 3cb handles anything I send her way and makes beautiful fire with it. Just today I picked up about a cord of pine rounds from my next door neighbor. It saved him a few bucks on the tree takedowns and I got the wood, albeit pretty crappy even for pine, standing dead.

Nothing wrong with the way you get your wood if I lived in the city I
probably would do the same thing but i'm not I have 250 hectors of
virgin hard wood Maple , iron wood , Oak , hickory , ash and beach
intermingled with pine that is over 100 years old beautiful trees .
there is also fence lines on the home farm with maple , Oak , apple
and a host of other hard and soft woods there is also a lot of American Elm
So I don't use soft wood to heat with does this make me a ELITIST if so
I will wear the term with honor

Nothing wrong with the way you get your wood if I lived in the city I
probably would do the same thing but i'm not I have 250 hectors of
virgin hard wood Maple , iron wood , Oak , hickory , ash and beach
intermingled with pine that is over 100 years old beautiful trees .
there is also fence lines on the home farm with maple , Oak , apple
and a host of other hard and soft woods there is also a lot of American Elm
So I don't use soft wood to heat with does this make me a ELITIST if so
I will wear the term with honor

It sounds like you have a beautiful piece of land there. Elitism is a state of mind based in ignorance with a good dose of stupidity mixed in. I don’t believe you or any of the good folks using this forum fall into that category. In my original reply I was using the term in a gestful way, but it didn’t translate well.

I burn pine because I had a lot of standing dead along the driveway of the house I bought, and when I blazed a trail to get to a standing dead maple and cherry, I may as well harvest the dead pine along the route. No one had taken any firewood out of the property for quite some time from what I can tell. I’ve probably harvested 10 cords just from standing dead/fallen trees 40’ from either side of the drive. And I’m going to get more today.

Hello all; hopefully this thread will be appropriate for my question. New to wood burning I got BK ashford 30. Ram it through shoulder season this winter will be first full winter with it. My question is regarding wood selection and load sizes. I’m in an area with no hardwoods, with the exception of mountain mahogany however you have to work pretty hard to get some. Mainly available is pine and juniper species. I’m currently burning pine. To purchase hardwoods I’d have to commute 240-300 miles to get it. I’m going to be in the area for some in a few weeks so I figured I’d grab some to try since I’ll be there anyway. I’ll be getting some almond which will likely be $300-380$ per cord (I won’t be getting this much obviously maybe 1/4-1/2 cord to try). My question for you all is given those prices and distances do you think it’s worth it? Also I’ve never burned hardwoods before are you guys stuffing your stoves full of hardwoods during your coldest days/season? Or would it be better to mix for example pine/almond when loading stove, and if so how much hardwood do you guys throw in when mixing? Thank you all learned a lot on here so far!

No problems burning pine or any other species in any stove regardless stove in use any wood species can be burn in it. BK is good doing this due to the control over the burn with the thermostatically control feature. If that's what you have access to and it is cheaper, go for it. No problems with full loads at any time. You control the burn rate real well with this stove.
It is more important to burn seasoned wood than going by species.

I burn spruce and pine almost exclusively, and never had problems doing this. In the coldest part of winter my ashford requires 2 full loads per day (exactly 12 hours between loads) and this fits well with my schedule. Tried hardwoods and the burn time stretches to about 18 hours between reloads, not practical... add to this that my pine and spruce are for free, while hardwood is not and there you have it: pine forever!