PE Summit Vs BK Princess inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Angelo C said:
Rdust,
the Quote was $2000....almost adding @ to the overall cost...yes the chimney is clay lined very solid and only 14 Y/O 9x16"...plenty of room in theory.

The price of admission isn't cheap but it's worth it. :) Have you priced everything online and considered doing the chimney liner yourself? I bought all my stuff from chimney liner depot when I did mine.

stircrazy said:
Angelo C said:
Thanks Steve, it gets better, they quoted me $2000 for the insulation and SS Flue kit. That was almost as much as the Stove itself...the non-insulated version was $500...

I'm in NJ its not rediculously cold here but my current masonary FP back flows anytime the wind blows from the South. Of course the back of the house faces full south.

that might not be a problem after a liner is installed. what size is your present flue, and do you have anything on top of it? my old house had a 12 x 8 flue and it always back drafted on start up and when it coold down and after I installed a wind director cap on it I never had the problem again. you can get different caps for the wood stoves that manage wind also.

something to look into anyways.

I'll have to look into a deflector of some sort as it backs no matter full on hot or startup. Wife says gotta stop smelling up the house.
What kind of deflector did you use ?

rdust said:
Angelo C said:
Rdust,
the Quote was $2000....almost adding @ to the overall cost...yes the chimney is clay lined very solid and only 14 Y/O 9x16"...plenty of room in theory.

The price of admission isn't cheap but it's worth it. :) Have you priced everything online and considered doing the chimney liner yourself? I bought all my stuff from chimney liner depot when I did mine.

$2000 is about 10 cords of wood for me( about 1/2 of what i C/S/S/sell). I don't see the return on investment occuring for 5 years. I thought this was "Firewood" not "Solyndra"... ;)

Angelo C said:
stircrazy said:
Angelo C said:
Thanks Steve, it gets better, they quoted me $2000 for the insulation and SS Flue kit. That was almost as much as the Stove itself...the non-insulated version was $500...

I'm in NJ its not rediculously cold here but my current masonary FP back flows anytime the wind blows from the South. Of course the back of the house faces full south.

that might not be a problem after a liner is installed. what size is your present flue, and do you have anything on top of it? my old house had a 12 x 8 flue and it always back drafted on start up and when it coold down and after I installed a wind director cap on it I never had the problem again. you can get different caps for the wood stoves that manage wind also.

something to look into anyways.

I'll have to look into a deflector of some sort as it backs no matter full on hot or startup. Wife says gotta stop smelling up the house.
What kind of deflector did you use ?

mine was just for my old fireplace. it was just a block off which prevented the winds from hitting the flue and going down. I just used a normal rain cap on my present house for the top of the flex.

How far do you have to run? you have a big flue might be worth it to just run it your self.

aside from that talk to them and explain about your back drafting problem and see what they think will fix it. then see if they have some sort of guarentee on there work if it still back drafts

Steve

Angelo C said:
OK guys, so I had pretty much decided on the PE Summit as they were the local dealer and I felt most comfortable with the product. I stopped by this afternoon to see if I could negotiate and get some hard prices. I asked what kind of flu was included in install and I opened a can of rats...of course they assured me there was NO need for an insulated flu. Never needed one never installed one. I told them mine will be. let me know what the OD and price was on the insulated version. We don't have one. again...never needed one, isn't one made. they use a insulated blanket around the flu and usually only 5-10' up only. At this point I am not likeing what I was hearing. this is all counter to what I read here. I told him I need to research some more and I will get back to him...which one of us is really confused now...us or him?

He is definitely the one that is confused in my opinion. If I was going to go to the hassle of putting in a liner you can bet it would be insulated. Can you just order the insulated liner kit that you want and have your installer put it in for you if you don't want to mess with it yourself? Bye the way the Summit is a beast of a stove you will love it with good dry wood.

certified106 said:
Angelo C said:
OK guys, so I had pretty much decided on the PE Summit as they were the local dealer and I felt most comfortable with the product. I stopped by this afternoon to see if I could negotiate and get some hard prices. I asked what kind of flu was included in install and I opened a can of rats...of course they assured me there was NO need for an insulated flu. Never needed one never installed one. I told them mine will be. let me know what the OD and price was on the insulated version. We don't have one. again...never needed one, isn't one made. they use a insulated blanket around the flu and usually only 5-10' up only. At this point I am not likeing what I was hearing. this is all counter to what I read here. I told him I need to research some more and I will get back to him...which one of us is really confused now...us or him?

He is definitely the one that is confused in my opinion. If I was going to go to the hassle of putting in a liner you can bet it would be insulated. Can you just order the insulated liner kit that you want and have your installer put it in for you if you don't want to mess with it yourself? Bye the way the Summit is a beast of a stove you will love it with good dry wood.

Im hoping the summit does the job. :)
I spent a few minutes on the Selkirk website and either can't find the correct product or don't know what I'm looking for. Any links to any 6" insulated liners, SS or Al would be gteatly appreciated. It just causes me concern when the sales person is not on the same page as cash carrying customer.

one other question...is there any relevance to the 6" or 8" flue for either stoves? Im seeing that most other "big" inserts/stoves have 8"...any matter ?
A

The Summit takes a 6" liner. You want the correct S.S. liner NOT Aluminum!
The only pre-insulated I am aware of is double wall rigid liner. That is what I used, with a 5' pc of flex at the bottom.

Magnaflex makes a pre-insulated SS liner. I believe board member Woodmiser knew a place to get a really good deal on them. Shoot him a pm.

kingquad said:
Magnaflex makes a pre-insulated SS liner. I believe board member Woodmiser knew a place to get a really good deal on them. Shoot him a pm.

not sure if we can post to links but if you goggle "Magnaflex chimney liner" you get good hits....thanks

Duraliner is also pre-insulated and a good quality product.

Status
Not open for further replies.