Overdraft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mooch

Jan 23, 2019
Jm
Does anybody know how to reduce the draft? I have a osburn Stratford and had a draft tedt done and its over 6 times the norm. And have been fighting with SBI for the last 3 seasons and they say it's not there problem

Does anybody know how to reduce the draft? I have a osburn Stratford and had a draft tedt done and its over 6 times the norm. And have been fighting with SBI for the last 3 seasons and they say it's not there problem
What problems are you having? How high is your chimney? What is your draft measurement?

Height is around 23' with an offset. Dont know the exact readings he got. Not getting much heat output. Doesn't heat the house, or the room it's in for that matter. The picture shows temp gauge around 550. And that's as hot as it will get. I have dry wood.

Attachments

• Overdraft
    Screenshot_20210119-135818_Video Editor.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 118
Burn times are low as well. Maybe 3-4 hour from lightning a match to slow coals
At 23' with an offset there is no way you should be 6x specified draft. Explain your burning procedure. Is this an insert or freestanding stove?

Nevermind I see it is a fireplace

What size space are you trying to heat?

The room it's in is 14x14 with 8' ceiling. It's open to a 18x18 kitchen with vaulted ceiling. Overall house size is 2100sq ft. The problem is it won't get the room its in over 75 degrees. My burn process is I load n/s about 6 splits

The room it's in is 14x14 with 8' ceiling. It's open to a 18x18 kitchen with vaulted ceiling. Overall house size is 2100sq ft. The problem is it won't get the room its in over 75 degrees. My burn process is I load n/s about 6 splits
Ok but how far and when do you shut the air back?

And SBI payed a company to come out and perform the draft test. But I never got any of the results on paper. Just the technician who performed the test told me it was 6x overdraft he said it was the worst he's ever seen

And SBI payed a company to come out and perform the draft test. But I never got any of the results on paper. Just the technician who performed the test told me it was 6x overdraft he said it was the worst he's ever seen
It just doesn't make sense. I have measured draft allot and never got anywhere near 6x even on 40'+ chimneys.

What moisture content is your wood at?

I just but a full load in just a bit ago with that picture of temp gauge and the temp has already fallen to just under 500

Can you describe your entire loading/lighting/air control adjustment routine?

Are you filling the stove full initially?

How long after lighting the full load are you letting the stove run with full air before reducing primary air with the stove control?

How far closed are you setting the air control on the stove? And when?

Something may stand out that can be addressed.

I wait till flames are coming out of the reburn tubes and the fire is going well, maybe 10 minutes then I can cut the air back by 75% and if I only cut it back by 25 or 50 % it just burns up in an hour or so

Soooo? Reduce the air supply much sooner and much more. Waiting for secondary flame before turning down the air may be waiting far, far to long.

If you really have excessive draft you may need to be shutting the primary air down to fully closed or near it. Have you not tried this?

Then the flames are so small it takes 45 minutes to heat the door gauge to 300 degrees. I feel this long and low of a temperature will result in creosote?

Then the flames are so small it takes 45 minutes to heat the door gauge to 300 degrees. I feel this long and low of a temperature will result in creosote?
So wait a bit then shut the air down all the way.

I can control the burn to some degree yes
What happens if you shut the air down completely after you have secondary combustion?