Overdraft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If I shut it down it doesn't heat up
Then you do not have 6x specified draft. If you did it would run away and overheat no matter what you did.

I'm just going by what the tech told me. He is working on finding the results for me.
What you are experiencing does not sound like you have excessive draft at all.

I should also mention that I have the fresh air intake completely blocked off. And the same for fresh air intake for inside of house is blocked also

I was told all my heat is going up the chimney.
If that was the case your secondaries would not show a visible difference when you shut the air down. Are you filling the firebox completely?

I feel the excessive draft is from a faulty unit
The chimney creates draft not the stove. So that is not possible

Yes I fill it completely. Filling in voids the best I can. What would cause me to b able to close all the fresh air intakes?

Yes I fill it completely. Filling in voids the best I can. What would cause me to b able to close all the fresh air intakes?
What intake did you cover inside?

Just the blocking plate. So you can use either outside air or room air. And they are both blocked. Also I attached the report from draft test

Attachments

• Overdraft
    Screenshot_20210119-150748_Email.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 104
Just the blocking plate. So you can use either outside air or room air. And they are both blocked. Also I attached the report from draft test
Ok that isn't even 3x spec. That sounds like a reasonable measurement for your height and the fact that you have the intake restricted that much. The fact that he could fit a 1/4" tube through the doors anywhere when they were closed is a bit concerning though.

In addition you fo not check for gasket fit with a light you do it with a dollar bill.

I checked the gasket with a dollar and a lighter. Yes it's on auto. I fill the box up around 6pm and at 6 am the blower is still running blowing out room temperature air. Temperature gauge on the door is as low as it will go under 100°
Since I started this thread I filled it up and lit a fire as of now there are no more flames and temp gauge is around 435

I checked the gasket with a dollar and a lighter. Yes it's on auto. I fill the box up around 6pm and at 6 am the blower is still running blowing out room temperature air. Temperature gauge on the door is as low as it will go under 100°
Since I started this thread I filled it up and lit a fire as of now there are no more flames and temp gauge is around 435
And where did you have the air set? For the record you can easily have over half of your burn time with no flames.

I would say around 60% closed. Do you feel the gauge temps to b where they should be. Was told that the door temps should be around 700° and measure the temp with ir gun between the door and the front cover, so the box and that should be around 550° is this accurate in your opinion

I would say around 60% closed. Do you feel the gauge temps to b where they should be. Was told that the door temps should be around 700° and measure the temp with ir gun between the door and the front cover, so the box and that should be around 550° is this accurate in your opinion
I think the door is a horrible place to measure temps because of the air wash blowing over it. But you probably don't have allot of choice with your unit. I wouldn't expect to see 700 there though.

let ask the question, when the fire is going if you open the door do you get any smoke roll out?

What do you think of both the air intakes being blocked?
Without knowing the layout and how well the intake system of your unit is sealed I have no idea

never been through a wood fireplace, but I imagine its similar to my flush insert. When i got my insert, i was disappointed in the performance, burn times, heat output, etc. Once i ruled out things like wood moisture, correct burn cycles, etc, i realized the only way to fix was to start limiting the amount of air going in. Todays stoves have a lot of air going in, and usually cannot shut down all the way. In mine, i have secondary air inlet, and doghouse air not adjustable, and primary never fully closes, all by design. I pulled it, and made an adjustable plate for the secondary air, and ground off a stop for the primary. I feel i got it respectable, almost doubled my burn times.

And also, wish my insert wasnt flush for some more radiant heat.