Overdraft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For a moment, let's assume nothing is wrong with the insert. There may be, but it would be uncommon and the flue system is not that tall. Tell us more about the house and the installation.
Are there any ducted runs off the fireplace?
Does the house have a positive pressure fresh air system?
What else is adjacent to the fireplace room or the vaulted ceiling area and how tall at the peak? Is there a nearby stairwell to a second floor? If you can post a floorplan sketch that may help, particularly if the fireplace is ducted.
Is there a ceiling fan in the vaulted ceiling area?

Last edited:
never been through a wood fireplace, but I imagine its similar to my flush insert. When i got my insert, i was disappointed in the performance, burn times, heat output, etc. Once i ruled out things like wood moisture, correct burn cycles, etc, i realized the only way to fix was to start limiting the amount of air going in. Todays stoves have a lot of air going in, and usually cannot shut down all the way. In mine, i have secondary air inlet, and doghouse air not adjustable, and primary never fully closes, all by design. I pulled it, and made an adjustable plate for the secondary air, and ground off a stop for the primary. I feel i got it respectable, almost doubled my burn times.

And also, wish my insert wasnt flush for some more radiant heat.
Mine is also a flush model. In my opinion doesn't put off the heat like a stove. But they look cleaner

For a moment, let's assume nothing is wrong with the insert. There may be, but it would be uncommon and the flue system is not that tall. Tell us more about the house and the installation.
Are there any ducted runs off the fireplace?
Does the house have a positive pressure fresh air system?
What else is adjacent to the fireplace room or the vaulted ceiling area and how tall at the peak? Is there a nearby stairwell to a second floor? If you can post a floorplan sketch that may help, particularly if the fireplace is ducted.
Is there a ceiling fan in the vaulted ceiling area?
No positive fresh air, no duct work, yes I have ceiling fans in all my rooms vaulted ceiling is around 12'

Also there are two open door ways one leading to a dining room and the other to another family room which is also vaulted 16' with fans and an open stair case. I have used an ir gun and there isn't much hot air in the vaulted areas

Also there are two open door ways one leading to a dining room and the other to another family room which is also vaulted 16' with fans and an open stair case. I have used an ir gun and there isn't much hot air in the vaulted areas
An IR gun is not the best way to measure air temp. If the heat is spilling out of the fireplace room into adjacent high-ceilinged spaces then it could be heating well.

I know it doesn't heat well as my furnace kicks on the same as always. Plus the thermometer on the thermostat never gets above my set point

Also keep my set point low at 68°
Don't tell my wife this. if she's lucky I crank the temp UP to 68, but that's only when I'm in a really good mood!