Old house new fire advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
You got me thinking about moving my stove in Utah to closer to the peak. I have a similar situation and room layout but my stove is in the corner at the lowest part of the pitched roof. Chimney height is probably only 9 ft or so. It drafts fine until the winds shift out of the NW. Then it back puffs and that's not so fun.

I only burn it 5-6 days a year so it's not pressing, but if i spend more time there something has to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Usurper
Can you just add length? That cost is easier to swallow if you only burn 5-6 days a year.

Can you just add length? That cost is easier to swallow if you only burn 5-6 days a year.
Yeah that would be the easiest, and probably my 1st move when the time comes.

Also want to add thanks for being a great group, forums nowadays seem to be riddled with people talking down to the other newer members, its been real nice reading the pages and interacting and getting positive and helpful info, even though im sure at times i am asking basic questions.

Helping others burn safely and competently is why Hearth.com exists. Many of us would not be here otherwise.

Im back again with another possibly stupid question, i WAS about to get the FW2900 but 1, its gone up a ittle more than i have and 2, i noticed the " fresh air intake kit " is this needed? the old US STOVE in our old house didnt have this and it worked very very well. is it a optional thing for this fire? or is it absolutely needed?
im now back to looking at other options, i did notice the US stove Magnolia got a good deal of positive feedback here, sadly Tractor supply must be out of stock as the option to add to cart is greyd out :(

Im back again with another possibly stupid question, i WAS about to get the FW2900 but 1, its gone up a ittle more than i have and 2, i noticed the " fresh air intake kit " is this needed? the old US STOVE in our old house didnt have this and it worked very very well. is it a optional thing for this fire? or is it absolutely needed?
im now back to looking at other options, i did notice the US stove Magnolia got a good deal of positive feedback here, sadly Tractor supply must be out of stock as the option to add to cart is greyd out :(
It's optional for a house but mandatory for a mobile home.

Tractor supply got back to me and said the stove is out of stock and no ETA or idea if they will get more. id really like to keep this as close to 1k as possible ( im aware of recommendations ) as i figure being in Bama, we are unlikely to get months of cold so maybe i can lower my desires ( not safety ) so please if anyone has recommendations im all ears.
the room it will be in is 13x36 so like 468sqft but fairly open plan to kitchen dining and 1 bedroom which are all around 260-290sqft would maybe a 1800sqft stove be a decent trade off?

The magnolia came back in so we got that ( getting almost 400lbs up 4 steps into the house on my own suuuuuuucked )

anyway the floor pad R value is 1.4. i would like granite pavers due to their r value, if i read it correct i only need cement board and single pavers, but i am struggling to find anywhere local that has them, concrete does not have a good r value maybe between 0.1-0.2? per inch, cement board 0.26 so i would end up having to make the hearth super thick, with 4 layers of cement board then 2 inch concrete pavers this way?
other than granite are there any other options to keep the stove lower to the floor? ( floor is wooden with crawl space underneath which i have already reinforced for the weight)
thank you as always

Granite has poor r-value too: 0.038-0.083 per inch
3/4" micore below your cement board would do the trick.

Reactions: EbS-P
Googling gave me this place

Or here

No experience with them myself

[Hearth.com] Old house new fire advice

well boo, i must have miss-read, thank you.

i can not see anywhere local supplying micore, just hoping for some more cost effective ideas
or try
MARJAM SUPPLY COMPANY

1 15TH STREET WEST
BIRMINGHAM, AL 35208
(205) 780-1100

Durock that is now sold has perlite in it which increases the R-value to R=.39 for 1/2" and R=.49 for 5/8".

Micore is what commercial hearthpads use.

progress. fire is roughly positioned just to visually get a idea, and make sure all the clearances are ok, the back wall will also be cement boarded and tiled. ( i should be able to start on the hearth before the end of the month ) we could only the 40-68 double wall stove pipe currently ( thanks radiation bills ) so while we save again, i thought i would check in with a few more questions ( sorry again if they are stupid )
stove to pipe adapter, i feel ive read several posts about the dvl adapter not being a perfect fit so i either need to wrap it in fire tape i think its called, or maybe a different adapter from stove to pipe?
2nd is the cathedral ceiling box, there seems to be a bunch of options from different places ( or maybe a bunch of them are not applicable to me ) does anyone have a link to a suitable box please? i am aware i will need the triple wall pipe to go up and out, then a rain cowl and flashing collar etc. so just looking for ceiling box advice please.
thanks again
Lee

[Hearth.com] Old house new fire advice

Often DVL fits directly to the flue collar on the stove. If so, there is no need for an adapter section. I know the budget is tight but recommend using DuraTech double-walled chimney pipe. It is superior to the triple-walled DuraPlus. Chimney support boxes must match the chimney brand. They come in various lengths depending on how much roof thickness there is to go through and the roof angle. Here is a DuraTech 24" support box.
and here a 24" support box for DuraPlus chimney

Often DVL fits directly to the flue collar on the stove. If so, there is no need for an adapter section. I know the budget is tight but recommend using DuraTech double-walled chimney pipe. It is superior to the triple-walled DuraPlus. Chimney support boxes must match the chimney brand. They come in various lengths depending on how much roof thickness there is to go through and the roof angle. Here is a DuraTech 24" support box.
and here a 24" support box for DuraPlus chimney
Ok thank you, is there any need for the to be all so similarly named lol, DuraPlus, DuraTech. DuraVent also the pipe i have is duravent , is that a issue, or do you mean for the outside section?
the inner to outer ceiling i feel is very low profile maybe even only 8-10 inches, would the 24 inch be overkill?

EDIT : i am a idiot, i only clicked the link after posting my reply, and now i see its the boxes you referred to.