Old house new fire advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You got me thinking about moving my stove in Utah to closer to the peak. I have a similar situation and room layout but my stove is in the corner at the lowest part of the pitched roof. Chimney height is probably only 9 ft or so. It drafts fine until the winds shift out of the NW. Then it back puffs and that's not so fun.

I only burn it 5-6 days a year so it's not pressing, but if i spend more time there something has to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Usurper
Can you just add length? That cost is easier to swallow if you only burn 5-6 days a year.

Can you just add length? That cost is easier to swallow if you only burn 5-6 days a year.
Yeah that would be the easiest, and probably my 1st move when the time comes.

Also want to add thanks for being a great group, forums nowadays seem to be riddled with people talking down to the other newer members, its been real nice reading the pages and interacting and getting positive and helpful info, even though im sure at times i am asking basic questions.

Reactions: bholler
Helping others burn safely and competently is why Hearth.com exists. Many of us would not be here otherwise.

Reactions: Usurper and bholler