New Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rusty Hinge

Oct 31, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Hello everyone, been on the site for a while looking at threads on different stoves before I decided on the PE. Thank you everyone for the wealth of information here! I had one in a different home a few years back and it seemed to work very well. I did look at a Quad but figured, go with what ya know! The stove has been great so far, had a few days at -20c here in Alberta and it kept the house toasty. It is in a basement of a 2200 sq/ft (total footage) bi-level so getting the heat to the furthest corner from the stove is a bit of a challenge but will get it figured. So before I carry on rambling I do have one problem, when I open the door to the stove while it is hot or not it seems to let smoke out. Doesn't matter how slow I open the door it still seems to creep out. I don't remember having this problem with the last stove. If the stove is cold it's a bit of a trick to get it lit before filling the basement full of smoke. The chimney is about 22' ish, comes off the stove has a 90, out the wall and 90 up. I thought I'd read that it's a chimney/draft issue and I require more chimney? If this is the case, how much more?

Thank you everyone in advance!

Its not the stove but the chimney draft it self, your prob right at the .05 reading thats required (that great since the operation wont be as vigorous as other users have) you may want to try with changing out the 90 elbow to (2) 45 deg elbows, it will create less turbulence.

Check upstairs to be sure there are no windows leaking or cracked open a little. Leaks on the upper floor can cause negative pressure at the basement level. Also, see if the dryer or kitchen fan is running when this occurs.

Last edited:
The windows in the house are older and not great but they are all closed. Nothing is running as far as fans and dryers. There is a fresh air vent right behind the stove so I presume this should mitigate the negative pressure? Will change out the 90's when I get a chance, might be next summer as I'm not sure the stove will ever not be burning until then!

Thanks for the help!

Is there a flue damper installed? If there is ensure its open before opening the door.

A 22ft stack in -20 temps shouldn't normally cause smoke rollout. Unless you have a negative draft issue within the house cracking the stove door for 30 seconds before fulling opening should be sufficient.

Is there a flue damper installed? If there is ensure its open before opening the door.

A 22ft stack in -20 temps shouldn't normally cause smoke rollout. Unless you have a negative draft issue within the house cracking the stove door for 30 seconds before fulling opening should be sufficient.

No flue Damper

It doesn't seem to do it as bad with the colder temps but still does. I haven't cracked the door and waited that long before opening it fully. I didn't need to with the last stove I had. Just had to crack it and open it up slow, never had an issue. I'll give that a whirl. Thank you