Relining chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 5, 2024
Maryland
Hi everyone.

We have an old Hawke insert we have used for 30+ years.

Last year had a sweep out who found cracked and glazed tile and some missing mortar. No fires since (tears). Two story house, about 25 ft exterior chimney, easy low pitch roof. Flue is 8 x 13

Been going nuts trying to figure this out for the last year. Read everything, visit several hearth stores, now working on 4th estimate. Initial estimates for removing flue tile and installing insulated 8" liner, one was for 7k and one for 6k whoa! Need special adapter for Hawkes rectangular vent, and 3rd guy said will need to break some of the brick facing at fireplace since there's only 4" clearance from the top of the stove.

3rd guy says if we ever get a newer stove with 6" vent we'd have to replace the new 8" liner with 6". 4th guy said nah you can go from 6 vent to 8" flue with no problems. Is this true? Keeping in mind my 25 foot chimney?

Now talking with 4th guy who offered two new solutions. This is if we replace the Hawke with a newer insert with a 6" vent, so 6" liner.

A. Single wall liner with thermix pour, leave tile in place. He would also cut an exterior access on chimney back to facilitate pour. $2500

B. Bust up the flue tile and install liner w 1/2" of rock wool, tape and wrap in mesh. $3000-3200

Both options include new ss chase cover and chimney cap. Would you pick A or B for the long haul?

Or should we hang on to the Hawke and go 8"? Or can we downsize the vent to match a 6" liner? (If we end up needing a stove I'll be making a separate post asking for recommendations.)

Sorry for this long ramble but my head hurts and everyone tells us something different.

I agree with getting a new insert.

Is 8x13 the tile liner's ID or OD? If ID, has anyone suggested an ovalized liner? That sounds like the obvious solution.

Hi everyone.

We have an old Hawke insert we have used for 30+ years.

Last year had a sweep out who found cracked and glazed tile and some missing mortar. No fires since (tears). Two story house, about 25 ft exterior chimney, easy low pitch roof. Flue is 8 x 13

Been going nuts trying to figure this out for the last year. Read everything, visit several hearth stores, now working on 4th estimate. Initial estimates for removing flue tile and installing insulated 8" liner, one was for 7k and one for 6k whoa! Need special adapter for Hawkes rectangular vent, and 3rd guy said will need to break some of the brick facing at fireplace since there's only 4" clearance from the top of the stove.

3rd guy says if we ever get a newer stove with 6" vent we'd have to replace the new 8" liner with 6". 4th guy said nah you can go from 6 vent to 8" flue with no problems. Is this true? Keeping in mind my 25 foot chimney?

Now talking with 4th guy who offered two new solutions. This is if we replace the Hawke with a newer insert with a 6" vent, so 6" liner.

A. Single wall liner with thermix pour, leave tile in place. He would also cut an exterior access on chimney back to facilitate pour. $2500

B. Bust up the flue tile and install liner w 1/2" of rock wool, tape and wrap in mesh. $3000-3200

Both options include new ss chase cover and chimney cap. Would you pick A or B for the long haul?

Or should we hang on to the Hawke and go 8"? Or can we downsize the vent to match a 6" liner? (If we end up needing a stove I'll be making a separate post asking for recommendations.)

Sorry for this long ramble but my head hurts and everyone tells us something different.
The 4th guys prices are very low. That would worry me

I agree with getting a new insert.

Is 8x13 the tile liner's ID or OD? If ID, has anyone suggested an ovalized liner? That sounds like the obvious solution.
ID. Ovalizing was discussed with the 7k quote. We just couldn't afford that and also budget for a stove. Honestly we can buy a lot of fuel oil with 7k. Butf we get a new insert ovalizing wouldn't be necessary though, correct?

If it were me I'd take the opportunity to modernize and go to a 6" stove. The majority of stoves these days are 6" unless you're getting a big 3+ cu ft BK King etc. Modern stoves will give you more heat for less wood. If you're going to be there a long time and want fire id consider this a smart investment.

ID. Ovalizing was discussed with the 7k quote. We just couldn't afford that and also budget for a stove. Honestly we can buy a lot of fuel oil with 7k. Butf we get a new insert ovalizing wouldn't be necessary though, correct?
If ID, there may not be a need for ovalizing a 6" liner. The glaze could still be an issue.

Just make sure you ask them lots of questions about what types of materials they are going to use how they are going to clean the chimney etc.

I can tell you typically when cleaning a chimney for a liner after a slammer has been used we typically allow about 4 hours and $800 just for the cleaning

Just make sure you ask them lots of questions about what types of materials they are going to use how they are going to clean the chimney etc.

I can tell you typically when cleaning a chimney for a liner after a slammer has been used we typically allow about 4 hours and $800 just for the cleaning
I think you are correct about removing the tile for safety's sake. We've had a couple of chimney fires over the decades and it's dumb luck it wasn't worse. If breaking out the tile, is additional cleaning still recommended?

I think you are correct about removing the tile for safety's sake. We've had a couple of chimney fires over the decades and it's dumb luck it wasn't worse. If breaking out the tile, is additional cleaning still recommended?
Just in the smoke chamber and firebox.

When we had it cleaned last year they said tiles were glazed. I'll try to find a picture

20221014_103653.jpg