New 1000 HP corvette too powerful for the frame.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have an F150 with a 3.5 V6 ecoboost. With 375 hp and 470 lb.-ft. of torque this truck has never lacked for power, even going over high mountains with a full load.
Thats a lot of HP to pull from such a small engine.I wonder how it fares with 100k on the turbo. And repair replacement costs. But thats amazing HP from a 3.5l.

FWIW, my dad had a 2 ton, Dodge rack body truck back in the 1960s in commercial service. It hauled heavy stuff constantly, all with a six cylinder. Gearing is a big part of this.
And I routinely move up to 4 tons with my 26 hp tractor... at 10 mph. Those 1960’s trucks could haul anything, if you had the patience to go slow. Been there, done that... not doing it again.

True it wasn't a rocket. A 2 ton 12' bed truck is not anything one is going to be racing around the neighborhood with. It did fine. I drove a lot of miles in that truck, on freeways and in NYC traffic. It got the job done.

And I routinely move up to 4 tons with my 26 hp tractor... at 10 mph. Those 1960’s trucks could haul anything, if you had the patience to go slow. Been there, done that... not doing it again.
I had one of those 60s dump trucks ,could barely make it over the mountain empty.

Reactions: SpaceBus
In what way? Have you hauled with it? I'll admit I was skeptical at first but I have been surprised at the power of this motor/tranny combo. I have hauled a 1600# load over many miles in mountains and hill country and you hardly notice the weight. All that really changes is the fuel consumption. ;hm

FWIW, my dad had a 2 ton, Dodge rack body truck back in the 1960s in commercial service. It hauled heavy stuff constantly, all with a six cylinder. Gearing is a big part of this.
Yours has a turbo the Chevy he is looking at doesn't. The Eco boosts are great motors we have a 2.0 in my wife's escape and it has been great so far. But I don't think it would hold up as well as a big v8 hauling the way we do. But for what most people use a truck for it is a fantastic motor.

The newer V-6 somehow went from 195 HP a few yrs back, now to 285HP . Thats quite a jump ,dont know how they managed to get that kind of boost from the same engine. Im looking at a 2015 tomorrow ,so ill see what that feels like.
Yeah they have come a long way. My sister has one in her 1500 and it works great for her.

50868976_807896122887324_8338474096589275136_o.jpg Had our first cruise of the season saturday. 62226521_10214775964657403_4489797217388855296_n.jpg 62506514_10214775967217467_9010998883458744320_n.jpg

In what way? Have you hauled with it? I'll admit I was skeptical at first but I have been surprised at the power of this motor/tranny combo. I have hauled a 1600# load over many miles in mountains and hill country and you hardly notice the weight. All that really changes is the fuel consumption. ;hm

I'm saying your twin turbochargers make a big difference between your engine and the standard naturally aspirated 3.5 liter V6. Also the slant six engine is totally different and is not comparable at all to any modern engine. It's like saying a Fisher stove is the same as an EPA 2020 stove, both burn wood, but that's where the comparo ends.

Reactions: Ashful
Thats a lot of HP to pull from such a small engine.I wonder how it fares with 100k on the turbo. And repair replacement costs. But thats amazing HP from a 3.5l.
If the turbos use quality bearings and the engine is maintained they should last just as long as the rest of the engine. BMW was making 800+ HP four cylinder engines in the 80's.

Crew cab w/5.5’ bed
Where I live at, we call those grocery getters. ;)

IMHO that is about all they are good for.

Then there are those nuts that buy crew cabs with 8’ beds on a wheelbase that must be close to 160”, but they can’t fit into grocery store parking lots.
We call this a truck. :p

If the turbos use quality bearings and the engine is maintained they should last just as long as the rest of the engine. BMW was making 800+ HP four cylinder engines in the 80's.

The 800 hp engines from the 1980’s with which I am familiar all required complete rebuilds every 500 miles. Not exactly streetable stuff. Even today, 800 hp street motors are typically 6 liters with forced induction.

The 800 hp engines from the 1980’s with which I am familiar all required complete rebuilds every 500 miles. Not exactly streetable stuff. Even today, 800 hp street motors are typically 6 liters with forced induction.
I'm just using that example to point out how durable things have become. 800 HP is nothing for a street (aka unlimited rules) engine displacing 6 liters. My step dad's old dd/race car was 440 AWHP out of a 2.0 four cylinder with a stock bottom end. 800 wouldn't have been that tough to make and still last for 1,000s of miles with more work.

It's actually more difficult to make power with rules and regulations that the OEMs have to deal with. Street motors don't have rules for the most part. When you start getting into racing you typically have much more strict rules.

Interesting, indeed. But the second comment really says it all. Electric motors present some amazing performance capabilities, but it’s hard to beat a refillable tank of Dino juice for long hauls over stretches of hilly highways.

Interesting, indeed. But the second comment really says it all. Electric motors present some amazing performance capabilities, but it’s hard to beat a refillable tank of Dino juice for long hauls over stretches of hilly highways.
Give them time batteries and charging are getting better and better really fast. Personally I wouldn't get an ev yet but in a couple of years probably.

Give them time batteries and charging are getting better and better really fast. Personally I wouldn't get an ev yet but in a couple of years probably.

Agreed, they will definitely get there, probably sooner than most of us imagine. They’re just not there today, when talking tow vehicles.

Reactions: bholler
I was concerned about reliability, but they seem to stand up well. I test drove both and the V6 feels snappier than the V8. In general, I haven't liked turbo motors due to the lag as they spool up. But Ford got it right. You say go and it goes. Still, I was going to get the V8. That was my preference, but I couldn't find one with the heavy-duty payload and the trailer towing package that I found in our truck. Since I was buying used and had to pick up our camper in a week, I went for the 3.5 V6.

Last edited:
Well i came across a deal i couldnt pass up last week. I needed a newer more dependable light duty work truck. Started out looking at 2006-2009 trucks but after seeing the sorry shape many were in i started looking at newer work trucks. I ended up with a 2015 GMC. 4WD. It does have a V-6, but its the newer version with the extra 90HP (285) over the 2012s(195) and before. Since i do Zero towing and all the heavy hauling is done with my k2500 its a good fit. I clocked 27.6 MPG Avg on a 70 mile highway trip going 70 -75 MPH on the trip computer so thats way beyond what i expected. Amazed by the power, and acceleration and MPG ,but a little disappointed in the stiffness of the ride though ,they havnt made much improvement in a 4x4 ride in the last 20 yrs.I guess that additional payload capacity they try to improve each yr takes a toll on the ride.

Last edited:
I was concerned about reliability, but they seem to stand up well. .
They do get good reviews. I may check those out down the road as ill be replacing the family hauler in a yr or 2. They also have very good MPG ratings.

Usually happens every new model change. The dont make a lot of them in the first year as the production is ramping up. The price is relatively low compared to what people were expecting. Once the initial demand drops, they will start hyping the convertible and then a year or two later the high performance version. Classic GM. The big issue is if the average age of the owners drops, its been creeping up for years and I believe its in the mid to late sixties. The new mid engine version is just an available substitute for the Lamborghini Countach poster with a blonde in or out of swimsuit laid out over the body.

Hopefully with such a major revision that all the parts work together correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
Today I finally laid eyes on the C8. For a while I didn't think they could get worse than the C7, but I was wrong. The C8 is offends my eyeballs.

Today I finally laid eyes on the C8. For a while I didn't think they could get worse than the C7, but I was wrong. The C8 is offends my eyeballs.
Looks like a European sports car now, which have looked virtually the same for decades.

Other than maybe C5, people have said that about every generation of Corvette, yet we later look back on those same models nostalgically. Heck, I’d bet folks complained about C2, when it was released.

Others complain about every new iPhone, until they have to go back and use an old one several years after adjusting to the new. The C7 and C8 will likely grow on you, with time, people just dislike change.

IMO, the worst era for Corvette was C4. I always liked the C3’s best, which everyone else was trash-talking until just the last few years. For some reason, the C2’s always get the most love, but I would rather own a C3 Stingray with a roots-blown smallblock. If not turn down a C6, either.