More tiny home stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
"Tiny" must be around 400 sq ft by my rule....or less. Anything over that is considered a "real" home.
Think about it: 400 sq ft is a space 20' x 20' . The Jotul 602 will heat that.
But who really wants to live in a 20x20 space for life ? Maybe live alone, no partner, no kids, no dog._g
It all depends on what you want and need out of your house. I have a friend who lives in an upgraded rv. He works as a hiking climbing and rafting guide all over the country. For almost 10 years he just lived out of his truck. So his tiny home is huge compared to what he was used to. But he also spends the vast majority of his time outside. We just downsized our house by about half. And honestly it is more enjoyable.

Tiny homes don't need to be for life, unless you like it a lot. They can be starter home, low income home, remote cabins, etc.. the design can also be modular so that it can be added on to later.

I think I may have been living in a tiny home before it was cool to do so . . . after I graduated from college I lived in what I affectionately called "The Camp" -- approximately 12 x 16. No running water. No indoor toilet. I eventually expanded it with a 12 x 12 addition to make a bedroom and bathroom with a working shower and toilet.

Reactions: Cast Iron
A lot of cities have minimum square feet requirements for free standing homes.
In Athens, Georgia:
After building her tiny home in 2016, Paula Loniak found out zoning ordinances prevent her from keeping it in Athens.

“I moved here in 1992 to go the Vet School at UGA and decided I wanted to stay in Athens after I graduated,” Loniak said. “I built my tiny house and they said, “Oh no, you can’t stay here because of the zoning, and we don’t know what to call this.’”

Loniak, manager of Vet-to-Pet House Calls for Dogs and Cats, said she found out zoning regulations prevent tiny homes owners from living in Athens while she was constructing her tiny home.

The zoning ordinance requires single-family homes to be a minimum of 1,000 square feet, which is problematic for tiny house owners, considering their average residences have around 500 square feet of space...

“That’s a pretty old portion of our code, something that hasn’t been changed very recently and certainly not since the tiny-home craze,” Beechuk said. “When the code was written, bigger was better. Bigger was more valuable, so by putting that low-end cap, you’re getting homes built to a cost that would increase the values for the other homes around them.

Hopefully that will change:
In 2016, ADP Solutions Consulting was hired by ACC Unified Government to complete a workforce housing study in Athens.

The study found three main conclusions: households without children are growing, there is a lack of desirable new housing developments and there is an increasing gap between income and housing costs.
More tiny home stoves

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I may have been living in a tiny home before it was cool to do so . . . after I graduated from college I lived in what I affectionately called "The Camp" -- approximately 12 x 16. No running water. No indoor toilet. I eventually expanded it with a 12 x 12 addition to make a bedroom and bathroom with a working shower and toilet.

So what your saying is you turned your home into a Palace. Nice :)

Don't they really have those codes to squeeze trailers out and raise tax revenue?

Towns can easily zone an area for tiny homes. That's not hard.

Tax revenue may be a thought, but NIMBY is likely the dominant factor, in such decisions. I wouldn’t want that mess moving in next door to me.

What mess? Tiny home doesn’t equal shantytown.

You are likely correct. However, does not the picture above show a trailer surrounded by trash? I have a "small" house, but nothing like that mess. That would not be allowed in our town. Some towns do have zoned trailer parks, but that rig doesn't look like it would pass D.O.T. muster.

Reactions: Ashful
I'd rather have some tiny and once in a while "trashy" homes near my house than an over-reaching town telling everyone what to do all the time. I can't stand nosey towns always looking for permits and codes to enforce. Get a life!
The end all be all is not to die with a home that is worth 1% more than you paid 20 years ago. Everyone is so obsessed with home value that they want to tell all their neighbors what to do all the time. That's what HOA's are for.

Reactions: Mojappa
But their backyard isn’t your backyard so unless you have squatters setting up tiny homes on your property it’s still nothing to do with tiny homes.

You are 100% correct, and I did misspeak. Tiny homes are perfectly fine as long as I can't see them from my back yard, side yard or from across the street. I think that is a very reasonable request.

Just sold a home to get away from the long noses of neighbors and the selective enforcement practiced by the city. Least expensive way to regain my sanity and avoid playing in the courts.Even if you win you lose. ( If fact my new neighbors (at the home I just sold) next door got clipped in the same fashion)

Still not sure why the size of your neighbors home matters in any way. They’re not all janky little trailers, most of them look rather nice, they’re just not unnecessarily oversized for their needs. If the amount of trash around their house (regardless of size) is the issue then this has nothing to do with tiny homes

Reactions: bholler
What mess? Tiny home doesn’t equal shantytown.

Did you look at the photo? Tiny house doesn’t necessarily equal shanty town, especially with the new yuppie/hipster interest in them, but I see a lot more dead refrigerators and vehicles rotting in the front yard of small ranch houses than I see in front of the typical two story colonial. Maybe just a local issue, as I still see lots of nicely kept small houses when I travel to less-affluent areas of our state.

“Poor but proud” is something that seems to have gone almost extinct in our local area, with my grandparents’ generation.

Did you look at the photo? Tiny house doesn’t necessarily equal shanty town, especially with the new yuppie/hipster interest in them, but I see a lot more dead refrigerators and vehicles rotting in the front yard of small ranch houses than I see in front of the typical two story colonial. Maybe just a local issue, as I still see lots of nicely kept small houses when I travel to less-affluent areas of our state.

“Poor but proud” is something that seems to have gone almost extinct in our local area, with my grandparents’ generation.
And in this area we see that around big old farm houses allot more than anything else. It has absolutly nothing to do with the size of the house. Or even money in many cases.

And in this area we see that around big old farm houses allot more than anything else. It has absolutly nothing to do with the size of the house. Or even money in many cases.
Same here, not there there aren’t smaller houses that are also kinda dumpy looking. But at the end of the day they’re not doing anything that affects me so I could give two sh!+$ about how they keep up with their stuff

Thread was about tiny stoves, It's gone off track and into the weeds.

Last edited:
When we were struggling to heat our house from the basement woodstove I considered a tiny home stove to put up in the loft/bedroom so at least some form of heat made it to the room we needed it in most. Hopefully the new wood furnace will deter me from following through but I still think they’re pretty cute little stoves.

When originally built in 1946, my post war come was around 800sq ft. In the 50s, a garage and room was added onto the side of the house. It became just over 900 sq ft.

My parents moved into this in 1974. I inherited it in 2009 and finally finished off the attic.

There are thousands of tiny homes up here. I'm thinking a big concern was heating in winter. I found my father's heating records for 1980 and 81. He used 1000 gallons of heating oil to heat a 900 sq ft cape! The trend towards more insulation and better windows and doors is a positive one!

Seems were talking about tiny homes and tiny stoves now, so I will throw this in here.
Not sure if anyone is familiar with Narrow Boats or Canal Boats in the UK, but most are heated with small wood stoves.

More tiny home stoves More tiny home stoves More tiny home stoves More tiny home stoves More tiny home stoves More tiny home stoves

Last edited: