tiny wood burning insert or stove advice needed for a rookie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oldmanoldman

Feb 15, 2024
HV, NY
Hi all, digging into this world for the first time and learning a lot. Also realizing I have so much more to learn. And having some trouble finding a product that would work for my quirky, old, small fireplace.

Our home is heated via mini splits, so we'd like to get something operational in our fireplace for if/when the power goes out for an extended period. And also for general living room coziness in winter. The existing fireplace has a very shallow depth and a combustible and custom wood mantel that sits over it.

Here are the pertinent measurements:

HEIGHT - 31.25in
WIDTH (front) - 30in
WIDTH (back, bottom) - 21in
DEPTH (on floor) - 17.25in
DEPTH (top) - 14.5in (the taper begins 14in above floor)
Mantel height - 41in, extending 7.5in out from wall (so 24.75in from back of fireplace)
Mantel sides - 5.75in from edge of fireplace

If anyone has a rec for a good, small (tiny!) product that could work, I would be grateful. I think it's likely I will have to install a heat deflector (and possibly extend the hearth) to make it work for the space, but for now I'm just trying to find something that fits given the shallow depth I'm working with and the mantel above.

Obviously very open to any other general knowledge worth knowing.

Thanks so much!!

IMG_1574.PNG

There are inserts that can protrude, I believe. You'd need more hearth indeed.

@Caw has a smaller (osburn) insert. Maybe he can help from his memory when he researched inserts for his fireplace.

More important than the fireplace and the hearth is the chimney. What is it, what size is it and what condition is it? That's where I would start as that's usually the deal breaker as it will cost as much as the stove or more.

Reactions: moresnow
I have a Drolet escape 1500 a few years. It is a good brand at a lower cost. I think it would fit your space. Maybe Not order the face plate, leaving it open and gives you a little more area to work with for the 6 inch chimney hook up. In the end i did not use the face plate for mine.

428370727_2281868338668335_7315265110175439835_n.jpg

Reactions: stoveliker
There are inserts that can protrude, I believe. You'd need more hearth indeed.

@Caw has a smaller (osburn) insert. Maybe he can help from his memory when he researched inserts for his fireplace.
I was able to get away with extending the hearth with R = 1 protection versus extending it with actual masonry. As long as the stove and blower are sitting on the masonry outside you can get away with it the way I did it. My insert protrudes about 8". Please ignore the mess it's mid season and I clean it up on weekends!

1000001533.jpg

Hello Caw, quick hijack for a second - when your fuel is looking like that, no flame but coals still glowing, do you top it up or just leave it until the ash/coals die down fully?

I tend to keep loading up although could just be the difference in stove quality. Thanks

Hello Caw, quick hijack for a second - when your fuel is looking like that, no flame but coals still glowing, do you top it up or just leave it until the ash/coals die down fully?

I tend to keep loading up although could just be the difference in stove quality. Thanks
When there's this many coals I wouldn't reload, no. In this picture the fire had just died and it's a box full of coals. I burn exclusively hardwoods so coal management is an important part of burning and may course of action really depends on what I need for heat at the time

If it's warmer out, or a day where I can expect good solar load and the house is comfortable I'd just leave it be and let it do it's thing. If it's cloudy, colder, or I need to warm the house up a bit I may open the air up to let it burn down faster. If we're in a cold snap I'll open the air and start adding bark and/or kindling for extra BTUs and to burn down the coals to get me to reload sooner.

Throwing more regular sized splits on a giant pile of coals just leads to more coals and prolongs the problem. That's fine if you're home and just being lazy. We do that during shoulder season a lot so we don't roast ourselves out of the house but want to string along coals to not start over for the night reload. You aren't maximizing your stoves potential though.

Reactions: scaryflame