Mixed Hardwood or 80/20 Mix????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi we have a Defiant wood stove. About to order cord of wood. I would like advice on whether to get mixed hardwood OR 80/20 mix (80% hardwood/20% softwood). I was thinking to get the hardwood since I have a lot of 2x4 softwood to burn as starter pieces. Can someone please give me some advice?

It depends on what the hardwoods and softwoods are. Some deciduous trees (hardwoods) have a lower btu than some conifers (softwoods).

Reactions: Highbeam
Species drying time may also play a part in your decision. The softwoods here dry faster than most of our hardwoods. Most firewood sellers are not going to sell wood that is dry enough.

Dry softwood can also be nice to burn during the shoulder season when a short burst of heat is all that is needed.

If your buying wood that you plan to burn this winter I would get 100% softwood. Any hardwood you buy right now will most likely not be ready to burn this winter.