Annual Sweep Results - Another Successful Season!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
I had my annual chimney sweep today and was pleased with the results. This is from about 3 cords of 3 year old hardwood and fatwood and as a fire starter in my 24' chimney. Most of the black soot is from the fatwood but I like it as a starter. I'll probably be burning overnight for a couple more weeks occasionally then call it quits...March is being stubborn. It's always nice to get a clean bill of health!

My only stove related project this summer will be to replace a cracked firebrick. It's a notched corner piece so I'll just have to get out the angle grinder. Much cheaper than ordering OEM from SBI. You can actually see if you look closely, the bottom front left one.

Anyone else giving it one final sweep for the season?

1000002199.jpg

Gonna sweep after season ends. I skipped this year so it will be 2 years running. Bet i have at least 1/2 a spackle bucket full or more. I used 3 or 4 pine cones with every start. Averaged 1 to 2 starts a day.

It was 42º this morning so I lit a smallish hot fire and let it burn out.

I'll sweep soon. ANd brush the inside of the stove (always dirty after the shoulder season running low in a cat stove - I did my "creo-crisping fire" already).

This time I'll also take out all the bricks as well to clean any creosote I brushed off the stove walls and may have fallen behind the bricks. I may try to "fill" gaps behind the standing side-wall bricks with some ashes instead to avoid accumulating crisped creosote grains there.

I do my sweeping in the fall. Gives me peace of mind that nothing got in there and built a nest or other obstruction over the summer.
Me too usually, but last fall the weather and timing didn't cooperate. So i skipped last fall. Don't want that to happen again so will get up there this spring.

I've had approximately this much every year for 4 years after 3-4 cords so once a year is good enough for me. That's enough to validate my burning practice.

Congratulations on getting her cleaned near the end of the season. Every year I hope to do it, but .......never have till the fall. I do occasional burns until May. Then the roof gets to soft to work on. Top down cleaning.

Nice looking soot. Doesn't look like any shiny chunks. I get soot and some small chips.

Congratulations on getting her cleaned near the end of the season. Every year I hope to do it, but .......never have till the fall. I do occasional burns until May. Then the roof gets to soft to work on. Top down cleaning.

Nice looking soot. Doesn't look like any shiny chunks. I get soot and some small chips.
Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty sure I could take my blowtorch to that spot pile and nothing would happen.

Looks great. Burned less than a cord but will be having my sweep come in May. Might go to every other year.